• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot 97 DJ Cipha Sounds Apologizes For HIV Remark

Oh brother. Was he insensitive? Yes. Was his comment foolish? Yes. Does suspending Cipha solved the Hiv problem in the Haitian community? Of course not. If there is anything to be truly indignant about is Haiti's lack of effort unwillingness to help those who have been infected with this terrible disease. Hey,but it's easier to have a scapegoat for failures.

Keep it up Hot 97! First there was the insensitive remark after the tsunami in 2004 and now this! How does this station stay on the air?

I do not listen to Hot 97, but too often they're in the news for the wrong reasons. :mad:

My god, what a bunch of wussies...shut up...this is NYC...not Idaho...damn...

Reading this news made me think of the Saturday Night Live "Bad Idea Jeans" skit circa 1989:
"Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, when am I going to make it back to Haiti?"

As for Cipha, his apology was in the Sal the Stockbroker realm of believability (in my opinion), but at least he went on record when the backlash starting coming in and said that it was him who told the "joke" as he referred to it and not Rosenberg.

radioguy39nj

>>>Keep it up Hot 97! First there was the insensitive remark after the tsunami in 2004 and now this! How does this station stay on the air?

I do not listen to Hot 97, but too often they're in the news for the wrong reasons.<<<

The first time to my memory was when Star played sound effects of a plane crashing poking fun at the death of a female R&B singer who died in a plane crash of August of 2001.

I can't even comprehend William B. Williams or Cousin Brucie being a shock jock like what's on Hot 97.

Thanks,
Kevin L. Sealy

Kevin L. Sealy said:
radioguy39nj

The first time to my memory was when Star played sound effects of a plane crashing poking fun at the death of a female R&B singer who died in a plane crash of August of 2001.

I can't even comprehend William B. Williams or Cousin Brucie being a shock jock like what's on Hot 97.

Thanks,
Kevin L. Sealy

The female R & B singer you refer to was Aaliyah (if I spelled it correctly). I recall the incident and the insensitive comments made on Hot 97. IMHO, the station should lose its license. :)

Isnt it sad when someone has to stoop so low to make such a negative remark to feel so good about themselves in order to push ratings up!!

Hot97 will never stop embarassing themselves yet we keep listening, keep laughing, because it takes away our pain and focuses it on someone else..in this matter a whole group of people. What punishment does one get for such a low degrading statement...suspension and sensitivity training..wow, slap on the wrist.

Really and truly to choose to open your mouth and gesture these words out loud, one has more problems than anyone thinks and "training" will not get you out of these problems you have created. I'm sure in Cipha's lifetime more has been said and done which he has gotten away with, but this time exposed.

At the end of the day, there will be others who will follow in the same footsteps and continue to say and do the same, and we will continue to listen to what they say...and keep the station alive. Hot97, swooping up and taking with them so many DJ's with their "freedom of speech", at the cost of us and not much to them. Have we become our own worst enemy?

When are we going to stop being so "offended" by everything? A great show, with both funny and poignant moments such as "All in the Family" would never get on TV today because someone would be "offended" by it.

I'm not saying that Hot 97 is either poignant or funny... but what I am saying is where does the "outrage" end before everyone is self-censoring everything to the point where no real communication can take place?

I would pay top dollar to hear "The Cuz" pull a shift on Hot complete with all the lingo. Anyone else want to pitch in? "EEEEEEEEEHHH Cousins!! (now fill in the rest of the talk up with the top 10 urban songs and have yourself a good laugh)

WNTIRadio said:
When are we going to stop being so "offended" by everything? A great show, with both funny and poignant moments such as "All in the Family" would never get on TV today because someone would be "offended" by it.

First of all, there is NOTHING funny about HIV!!!! Secondly, even back in the day shows such as "All In The Family" had a limit on what was funny and what wasn't. You would have NEVER had seen them make fun of someone that a disease.

I'm not saying that Hot 97 is either poignant or funny... but what I am saying is where does the "outrage" end before everyone is self-censoring everything to the point where no real communication can take place?

I would pay top dollar to hear "The Cuz" pull a shift on Hot complete with all the lingo. Anyone else want to pitch in? "EEEEEEEEEHHH Cousins!! (now fill in the rest of the talk up with the top 10 urban songs and have yourself a good laugh)

F

God I hate living in a time when everyone gets upset about anything!!
WAH WAH WAH WAH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Dont like it,then dont listen.
If you think thats insensitive,too bad for you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom