• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HOME STUDIO MIC XLR TO USB ADAPTOR VS. REGULAR OLD XLR THRU OLD BOARD?

N

nightfly61

I also posted this in the Prod section since it kinda pertains to both:
Here's the scenario:
I'm hooking up home studio & here's what I'm using:
Perception 120 True Condenser Cardioide Mic, shockmount & pop filter
AUDIO 4 DJ Soundcard
Adobe Soundbooth CS4
TraktorDJ Studio3
Denon DN-7OR Cassette deck
old Philips 212 Turntable
old Gemini 4 channel board
Mac Mini-1.83Ghz

Should I get one of those XLR to USB port adaptors & have the mic running directly into the Mac Mini or plug the mic into the Gemini board the old fashioned way then run the whole board through the soundcard into the Mac Mini? Would there be a difference, since the board is gonna be hooked up anyway for the cd/dvd, cassette & turntable?
(I'm also posting this in Engineer Tech Tips) Thanks!!!

It depends on what you want to do, but if all you want is a Mic I'd go with the USB adapter as it should be cleaner. Keep in mind there are some fairly nice USB boards out there these days like the Alesis or Allen and Heath that would give you lots of options if you needed them. I have an Alesis board and LOVE it.

Try the Lexicon Alpha. $80 at BSW. Just bought one.

Replaces my direct to computer sound card connection.

No hum no hassle GREAT sound.

Used their "suspect" drivers according to Vista. Was able to get it to play w/o the drivrs but had a couple digital glitches.

It has a mic input (XLR) and a line level input (1/4 inch). Output can be RCA to your tv in my case or to an alternate amp.

You can configure CE or Audition to accept the Lexicon In and Out or just In or just Out. I use it with udition and several other audio programs.

If needed you can feed the line out of your mixer into the Lexicon. I'm in a high rf field and haven't had issues.

I'm new to Audition 3.0 & have tried every Vista sound setting & every Audition setting & still can't get this digital mic so I can hear while I record...is there some trick? I think I've already tried EVERY option there id in the "audio hardware setup"....and thatnk for the info on the Lexicon, chief!

I will be glad when Vista will be asta la vista! There's very little positive to say about the crapware OS other than eventually it will be replaced by something better (hopefully).

I'm just learning Vista & not a big fan either. A friend is giving me an old copy of XP tomorrow. He says his digital mic on his computer works fine regarding hearing yourself while recording. Chief, with your Lexicon Alpha can you hear yourself realtime while recording? Thanks again guys...I'm currently set up analog the old fashioned way through the board.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom