• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hits 102.7 in Rapid City

the Christmas tunes are gone.

It's Hits 102.7 - today's best music without the rap.

Because I am a geezer I don't know any of the songs. Haven't heard any jocks. Just sweepers so far.

I am sure it be will live and local 24x7. :D

I count 22 commercial AM and FM signals in Rapid City. That's a lot of stations chasing after advertising dollars. What do spots sell for in Rapid City? $15 to $25 for a :30?

Damn luck to get 15 to 25. That's on a good day. The big players like Fischer Furn. get much less.
They are managing the station out of market. What does that tell you about their economics.

I really like this station... ;D i want to help advertise the station i like it so much! :eek: and i don't really care if other people don't like it! :mad:It really is todays hits without nasty rap! :D

Great station on the exception [and I've talked to many others who agree] some songs are overplayed...I can name a few such as Finger 11 - Paralizer, this song has become quite annoying and I find myself immediately changing the station when it comes on. Also OneRepublic - Stop and Stare along with a few others....it seems like the stuff that gets me really going is stuff from the late 90s/early 2000's. Eve 6, or anything found off the BuzzBallads and BuzzCuts CD's.

Just some critisism though :-]

I heard that some crosstown RC station was discussing a possible position with a western US legend.

I don't know much more than that but in the small market he Arbi's an average of 11.5's This guy is very well known for accepting what compensation is offered, and producing results. I think he is also in negotiations with 2 Canadian Stations and one in Wisconsin.

Hits 102.7 sounded decent. Hot AC is a format that the market lacked. Hits' signal, however, was weak in both Sturgis and Spearfish. In addition, I wish they would have some jocks on outside of morning and PM drive.

I drove through there last week... I wasn't all that thrilled with Hits.

more of a watered down rock station with horrible imaging...

The Beave said:

Yeah, the music isn't too bad although it really doesnt strike me as being "the next big thing", and the imaging is pretty bad.

...But when one station is playing The Cranberries (HITS) and the other is playing T-Pain (HOT) which one do you think will attract the 18-34s?

This isn't a CHR battle...its a watered down Hot AC going after a CHR. Hot's signal sucks in some parts of town with the translator gone, but what Hits is playing isn't going to attract 18-34's (thats the CHR CORE). Even if they image as a CHR and run some poorly planned liners taking direct shots at Hot...

The Beave said:

You must not know good music programming then...hot AC/CHR (otherwise known as adult CHR/top 40) stations are the bomb! Look at 101 WIXX in Green Bay, WI which has top ratings!

The Truthsayer said:
This isn't a CHR battle...its a watered down Hot AC going after a CHR. Hot's signal sucks in some parts of town with the translator gone, but what Hits is playing isn't going to attract 18-34's (thats the CHR CORE). Even if they image as a CHR and run some poorly planned liners taking direct shots at Hot...

When I drove through.. I had them all the way into Nebraska.

Up the US highway from I-76, I think it was 385.

Wait a minute.. that was KRCS 93.1

Some of those Rapid City stations on Black Hills sticks get out pretty far.

Besides the Black Hills the tallest stick in SD I think is the KELO-TV tower which also has KELO-FM and KNWC-FM. The KPLO and KDLO sticks are pretty tall and get out far as well.

Good luck on WZFG, beave

The Beave said:
porkythepig said:
Good luck on WZFG, beave

I hope it is a winner... Almost 20 yrs in radio it should be interesting.

Hennen (WZFG) will bury WDAY in the first book. On the flip side, Mojo will bury Eagle in the first book. It'll be interesting to see WZFG, WDAY, and KGFO go after the talk pie and see what Eagle will do to counter Mojo.

In the end, myopic political talk has gone the way of the dinosaur. Joel Heitkamp wins because he's more of a centric than either Scott Hennen or Ed Schultz.

Getting back on topic...Hits 102.7 needs some work, they are a Hot AC not a CHR for anyone that is confused. The imaging is weak and it doesn't make much sense direct shots after a station does not fly very well in Midwest markets...they should be going after Magic and Max anyways, not Hot.

Looking at all you said... (from the outside looking in until mid-august)

I agree fully not knowing any of the plans in Fargo...But knowing the offenders.

As for RC I was not thrilled with Hits 102, when I drove through there on a friday night last month.

They do need some work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom