• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Radio degrades stereo signal-Spectrum analysis.

> > Here you go again putting words into my mouth. I never
> once
> > said anything about the "death" of FM.
>
> Putting words into your mouth???? Buddy you need to revisit
> one of your own posts.
>
> http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=653869&Board=hd
>
> “The "powers at be" did NOT think this through. This is
> going to drive listeners straight to satellite radio. The
> entire analog FM band now sounds like a swath of
> unlistenable junk!”
>

Errr.... that is NOT declaring the "death" of radio. Sorry.

> > Here you go again putting words into my mouth. I never
> once
> > said anything about the "death" of FM.
>
> Putting words into your mouth???? Buddy you need to revisit
> one of your own posts.
>
> http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=653869&Board=hd
>
> “The "powers at be" did NOT think this through. This is
> going to drive listeners straight to satellite radio. The
> entire analog FM band now sounds like a swath of
> unlistenable junk!”
>
>
> Errr.... that is NOT declaring the "death" of radio. Sorry.

Actually, in a roundabout way, yes it is.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by randrewsIII on 02/20/06 04:29 PM.</FONT></P>

> You can thank him for killing information. Interestingly,
> at the car audio store every radio that I did a auto scan
> with stopped on the adjacent HD channels. That's a total of
> 15 brand new analong FM car radios.

15 car radios? Geee, were they all the same make / model?

I seriously doubt a car stereo dealer would have an adequate antenna system connected to all those radios to justify your findings. I think you need to provide more specific and detailed information supporting your findings, because right now I think you just made this up.

In any case, it is evident to me that you have a biased “opinion” based on your own experience. You are hearing what you want to hear from the few people who have duplicated your problem, and ignoring the few who haven’t been able to. You’re not willing to listen and learn from those who say anything that doesn’t reflect your opinion.

I have learned from both sides of the table in these discussions, and as such I am willing to admit that perhaps it is possible for “some” FM radios to stop on adjacent channels while scanning. HOWEVER, the number of responses from both sides is insignificant enough to prove or disprove that this will or will not be a problem for most listeners.

Some of the people, who have disagreed with your findings, have been kind enough to provide details about their experiments which support their findings. So far, you have not. You also claimed that people would flock to satellite radio based on a problem you are having. You did yourself a disservice by not stating that this was “your opinion”, and instead attempted to pass it off as FACT.

It is now MY OPINION that you are a troll on these boards, based on the attitude you are displaying in response to anyone who doesn’t agree with you. This is rude and childish behavior and it’s apparent to me that you are unwilling to learn anything from others unless they say what you want to hear.

Radio-Info is a site allowing for everyone to share their ideas, and an excellent opportunity to learn from others. You have been allowed to post that you are having a problem with your FM radio. Where some of us feel you have drawn the line is where you tried to pass an opinion off as a fact that everyone else will have the same problem that you have.

I have admitted that I realize that yes the problem you are having could possibly affect other radios. But based on what both sides of the table have said, I am not convinced it is going to be a problem for “everyone”. This is MY opinion and you are free to disagree with it as you wish. But I think you should be willing to accept both sides as well, and right now I am convinced you are unwilling to do so.

>
> Look, SuperSound dismantled your little experiment with
> actual facts. And who is "we"??? I have only seen you and
> 1 other person throwing out straw men and red herrings.
>

You sound like my kids..."nanananana I'm not listening to you!!!!"

I like how you say "I win!". Makes it pretty obvious where your head is in all of this. Congratulations on completely missing the point! The point, to make it clear to you, is that you have made your problem known, we've discussed it, and it's time to move on. Period.

What is your education and experience in the engineering field? I ask because you say that SuperSound dismantled my "little experiment" with facts. How do you know? Do you know the science behind this stuff? Do you even know how to read the spectrum analyzer shots he posted? I'm guessing not, which makes you entirely unqualified to determine if "actual facts" were even presented. I am a Director of Engineering, overseeing six radio stations in Top 100 markets (three in a Top 50). K9EZ is a Chief of several stations in a Top 50 market. Between us, we've installed four HD systems, with four more on the way. Do we know everything? Absolutely not. We do know quite a bit behind what makes HD tick. Enough to know what is absolute fact, what is opinion, and what is a more singular problem. When we test, we use real tools first hand to see the results, not post links to third parties.

But hey, as long as "you win", that's what matters, right?

At any rate, I'm through discussing this. It's obvious you are going to hear what you want to hear. You may want to take a notes from SuperSound. He posted a reply today that is helpful. It's new information, and relevant to the conversation. I can agree to disagree with people, and I'm glad he decided to contribute.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> > >
> Here you go again putting words into my mouth. I never once
> said anything about the "death" of FM. I clearly said that
> HD channels add more noise to the scanning process with
> analong FM because the scan now stops on the adjacent HD
> channels.
>
> You have a habit of that. Putting words into people's
> mouths. In the original thread you continued to say that I
> was saying that HD adjacent channels INTERFER with main
> channels. I had to say 1000 times that I was NOT talking
> about that. You made that up all on your own and then would
> try and shoot it down. It's called a straw man argument to
> which you have quite a habit of.
>

I have NEVER know Doc to put words into anyones mouth! The man is a hgihly respected radio ENGINER, well certified and all.

>
> > Nobody wants to quiet you or "SuperSound". OTOH, you guys
>
> > have been one-trick ponies. You keep posting the same
> thing
> > over and over. You both ignore the facts that others
> bring
> > to the table.
>
> Sorry, but it is you who is ignoring facts. Analong radios
> do stop on the adjacent HD channels while scanning. That is
> a fact! You continue to ignore this fact. And your
> experiment was so erronous that it was laughable. I for one
> came to the conclusion that you weren't even sure what an HD
> adjacent channel was.
>
>

Um, nooo YOUR analog radio stops on the scan (and really is it THAT big of an issue???)

NONE, I repeat. NONE of mine, or any of our station vehicals have this issue. Please help me understand how the experiment was laughable.

> > If someone disagrees with you, they are
> > either wrong or they don't understand you.
> >
>
> There you go again making stuff up. The only disagreement I
> had was when you kept putting words into my mouth about
> talking about interference and I had to keep repeating to
> you that I was NOT talking about interference.
>
>
> > Nobody thinks that you are lying about the problems you
> are
> > having with your radio. A lot of us, however, believe
> that
> > this is not a widespread problem.
>
> "A lot of us?" I have only seen two of you. I have seen
> more people with the problem that without.
>
>
>
> > I have counted several
> > more "no problem" replies than "problem" replies.
>
>
> Count again.
>
> >
> > Bottom line: we have beaten your and SuperSound's single
> > issues to death. There is no more anyone can say that
> > hasn't been said. There is no reason to bring it up any
> > further. If you want to discuss other things, great!
> Let's
> > move on, however.
> >
>
> Look, SuperSound dismantled your little experiment with
> actual facts. And who is "we"??? I have only seen you and
> 1 other person throwing out straw men and red herrings.
>

Is there a problem here?

Regardless of your "stance" on HD my only question is, why are providing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?
I have said it before, it's not the delivery method that is the problem but the content. Nobody has ever said to me, man your station sounds like a bad cd but they have said, "dude, how many times are you guys gonna play the same AC/DC (or insert over played songs here)"?
Better yet, do we need HD?
Just throwing that out there.
G

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom