• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Half priced gift certificates

I've noticed a bunch of stations doing "half priced" restaurant gift certificates lately.  Can someone explain how this process works?  Does the station do a straight trade and then try to sell the gift certificates for their cut?

--- Casual Observer

Casual_Observer said:
I've noticed a bunch of stations doing "half priced" restaurant gift certificates lately. Can someone explain how this process works? Does the station do a straight trade and then try to sell the gift certificates for their cut?

--- Casual Observer

The station either trades commercials for the gift certificates or, just as often, gives up no commercials but specifies the number of on-air mentions the restaurant will receive.

I know that a station can trade out for gift certificates, but who derives the incomes from them when they are sold for half price? I would assume the station sells them for half price in their various promotions, effectively selling their commercial inventory for half of what it would be worth, and they pocket the money.

--- Casual Observer

And the response is insane! Client station (a "standards/MOR" hybrid) this week "sold out" of certificates after one day on their website. Go figure.

CJ

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom