• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gray Adopts Minimum Wage Of $18 Per Hour

Note this is Gray television having to comply with states that have raised their minimum wages recently.

That's odd Geogia's Minimum Wage is only $7.25 this is where Gray's main offices are located along with WGCL and WPCH are at but

Here are states where the minimum wage have been raised as of 2022.

Note this is Gray television having to comply with states that have raised their minimum wages recently.

That's odd Geogia's Minimum Wage is only $7.25 this is where Gray's main offices are located along with WGCL and WPCH are at but then again Gray has to consider States with higher minimum wage requirements

Here are states where the minimum wage have been raised as of 2022.

Woah the current minimum wage is $7.25 on the national level. But then again there are states that have not updated their minimum wage and Georgia is one of them.

Woah the current minimum wage is $7.25 on the national level. But then again there are states that have not updated their minimum wage and Georgia is one of them.
No state has an $18 an hour minimum wage so Gray is complying with no one.

No state has an $18 an hour minimum wage so Gray is complying with no one.
True the highest minimum wage that is enforced is $15/hr for California. But Gray has no stations in California but they do have stations in Nevada and Arizona where they have raised the minimum wage that is enforced.

If you read the article carefully Gray is raising their corporate minimum wage to $18/hour. This is not in response to any individual government edict, or really any edict at all except for wage pressures bearing upon the market.

And this is for FT employees only. Comes out to $3042 per month or $36,504 per year. I know they want to make this a positive statement, but what the statement really clarifies is that 2000 of their full time employees were not even making that much. I know local TV doesn't pay well, but good grief that is terrible.

Side note- if the federal minimum wage simply kept up with inflation, it would now be at a bit over $22 per hour. So the next time you hear someone quoted "People today don't want to work", keep that number in mind. They just don't want to work for YOU, Jim, at the price you are willing to pay.

And this is for FT employees only. Comes out to $3042 per month or $36,504 per year. I know they want to make this a positive statement, but what the statement really clarifies is that 2000 of their full time employees were not even making that much. I know local TV doesn't pay well, but good grief that is terrible.
And that is a really big chunk of their workforce. As of February this year, Gray employed 8608 people on a full-time basis, so about 22% of the workforce.

In addition, because the new policy exempts employees paid on commission, it's likely a significantly higher proportion of their wage-only employees.

Gray is also offering buyouts at the ex-Meredith stations. I'll bet the replacements will be a lot closer to that $18/hour range.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom