• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Girls' Night Out: Superstar Women of Country

WPPCProductions said:
this show is on tonight on CBS.anyone going to tune in.

I tuned in and for the first time in awhile, I'm glad I did. Spectacular production and great performances.

Carrie Underwood blew me away. Again.

Poor little homely thing. ;)

vchimpanzee said:
Didn't know about it, wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Gee. Thanks for posting, V.

I watched it and enjoyed most of it. Carrie's performance was definitely one of the highlights.

didnt see it.

alot of them current girl countrypolitan singers performances are produced like that of R&B POP divas, meant to infatuate an uncountry educated viewing mass. many of us country hardcores, are not interested in whitney houston, and maria carey parrot acts disquised as country. hell, just watchin' patty loveless stand there and sing her heart out is more beautiful, than 100 carrie underwood dance act performances. go ahead, watch some of her U-tube performances. absolutely gorgeous! no syncronized dance act needed.

even reba was nice to watch sing back in the 80's and 90's, before the R&B dance performance act took over. these are several of the women in country, who didnt need to do a performance dance act, but who look so graceful singing, which matches their beautiful God given country vocals. allison krauss, and trisha yearwood also, rank right up there. oh and of course dolly, loretta and tammy. go ahead watch some of them old clips on u-tube. wow!

ClarkKent said:
vchimpanzee said:
Didn't know about it, wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Gee. Thanks for posting, V.

I watched it and enjoyed most of it. Carrie's performance was definitely one of the highlights.
I watched "Smallville" (once "Monk" reruns ended, of course). Did you?

Tom Welling's Clark Kent is about to become Superman.

scott salvatori said:
didnt see it.

alot of them current girl countrypolitan singers performances are produced like that of R&B POP divas, meant to infatuate an uncountry educated viewing mass. many of us country hardcores, are not interested in whitney houston, and maria carey parrot acts disquised as country. hell, just watchin' patty loveless stand there and sing her heart out is more beautiful, than 100 carrie underwood dance act performances. go ahead, watch some of her U-tube performances. absolutely gorgeous! no syncronized dance act needed.

even reba was nice to watch sing back in the 80's and 90's, before the R&B dance performance act took over. these are several of the women in country, who didnt need to do a performance dance act, but who look so graceful singing, which matches their beautiful God given country vocals. allison krauss, and trisha yearwood also, rank right up there. oh and of course dolly, loretta and tammy. go ahead watch some of them old clips on u-tube. wow!
Dolly, Loretta, Tammy, Alison Krauss, Trisha Yearwood and Patty Loveless. I'd watch that!

Wow, I remember when I thought Trisha Yearwood wasn't country enough.

vchimpanzee said:
scott salvatori said:
didnt see it.

quote]

Me Too.What ever happen to Gretchen Wilson.Ishe had an edge to her music.she was great too.

vchimpanzee said:
Dolly, Loretta, Tammy, Alison Krauss, Trisha Yearwood and Patty Loveless. I'd watch that!

Wow, I remember when I thought Trisha Yearwood wasn't country enough.
ya, no one, including trisha has ever claimed she to be a traditional country artist, in the same vein as tammy, loretta, or patty. yet, when you check out her self titled, first album, in 91(w/shes in love with the boy, breakthrough hit) you find some amazing acustic, and steal guitar, dobro and country/folk vocals in "the whisper of your heart", and "lonesome dove". this singin' is enough to melt the butter, right through your ice box door. her third album "the song remembers when", has country masterpiece written all over it, and one of my top 10's that year. the title track, is now a long forgotten radio hit. also, included in this album is an A+ version of willie nelsons, "one in a row", and also rodney crowells " i dont fall in love so easy". yep, trisha you nail it big time in the song selection, and vocal department! cant say todays countrypolitan pop divas even come close to what she did!

WPPCProductions said:
Me Too.What ever happen to Gretchen Wilson.Ishe had an edge to her music.she was great too.
i believe she is on her own label now. thank God she was able to break through the cluttered up country play lists w/ "redneck girl", and had a few other hits after that. but, like most real country artists that somehow enter, and break through the country charts, with a few good hits, the record companies, and consultant driven radio eventually abandon them, just after the next, lackluster promoted and stiffed single. i guess they are already devoting $$, and pushin' the promotion for the next potential breakthrough "young schtick act" money maker on the scene.

check out gretchen and the great merle sing "politically uncorrect". just an album track, that never went, or intended to go nowhere on radio for the masses. but, some of us know it, love it, and live it!

scott salvatori said:
but, like most real country artists that somehow enter, and break through the country charts, with a few good hits, the record companies, and consultant driven radio eventually abandon them, just after the next, lackluster promoted and stiffed single.

That's one way of looking at it. I wouldn't limit your comment to "real country artists." Teen star Jessica Andrews hasn't had a hit in ten years. Lots of other pop country stars are gone from the scene.

The truth is that Gretchen's record label got bought by a bigger company. The new crew simply didn't know what to do with her. Some radio stations have embraced her new music. Some haven't. She still has her fans, and can thank radio for bringing them to her. And her old songs continued to get airplay. So she hasn't been "abandoned."

When one artist fades, others rush in to take their place. Lots of current females, like traditionalist Ashton Shepherd, are thankful Gretchen isn't dominating the chart any more, so there's room for them to build their fan base. And the world keeps turning.

WPPCProductions said:
Whatever credibility she might have had due to "Redneck Woman" was ruined by the unlistenable "Here for the Party", which was CHR with a Southern accent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom