• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

GBP Evacuation Sign

I have noticed around Dublin Lauren's county the blue signs several of them say tune to 91.1 WSVH. It should say in this area to tune to 89.7 WMUM. I am not sure how many signs are wrong or why they would be wrong. Did someone bored switch them? Around this neck of the woods it would not surprise me if someone did switch them. I am not sure when I will go back to Savannah to see what the signs say there maybe someone here is in Savannah and look? Who could I report this to? You can get 91.1 in the eastern part of Lauren's county but I know a few signs are in middle parts on I-16 West near Georgia Hwy 257 past US 441.

The blue evacuation signs along major highways in coastal GA all show 91.1 on them until you get down to Glynn County...it shows 88.9 from Brunswick as the evacuation station until you get down to Florida — even though WJCT-FM has a much better signal than GPB in most of Camden County. My guess is since WSVH-FM/WWIO-FM has a physical studio that originates programming with staff (as compared to most GPB stations which are merely 24/7 rebroadcasters), they would separate from the network to provide coastal GA-specific evacuation and emergency info while the other stations would continue with normal NPR programming. Even though WMUM is the local GPB station and comes in better, in a hurricane emergency they would probably not broadcast the same programming as 91.1

I lived for several years in Hilton Head and we had no evacuation radio signs that I recall. SC ETV Radio had long since shut down their local studios in Beaufort and Charleston and I’m assuming evacuation info in the low country is handled by EAS primary there (WYKZ 98.7 I think)

The people evacuating are from the coast & would be listening to 91.1 from the start. People far inland are only impacted by evacuation traffic, for the most part. Having people tune in to 91.1 makes more sense, as that's one less thing the evacuees have to worry about. Plus 91.1 has a huge signal.

As for Camden Co, why would they rely on FL based info, since they're in GA? WJCT is for NE FL only.

G

My guess is Camden County has gotten used to WJCT-FM as they have with all Jacksonville stations. The local TV stations out of Jax will definitely be providing instructions, and its entirely possible folks in Camden County will head east on I-10 to evacuate.

But, as to what the signs should say in Camden, 99.5 WKBX-HD2 is a simulcast of WSVH/WWIO. So yes, 99.5 should be the evacuation station on the signs South of Woodbine when the translator poops out and WWIO has a good signal in Woodbine.

In all these instances, WJCT-FM is the main NPR affiliate for a lot of these folks. They may be reliying on those stations to give them evacuation info

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delay in replying. In Laurens county 91.1 starts to fade it should show WMUM 89.7. Some radio's may pick it up some may not. But Dublin has a station on 90.9 that may bleed over. I would think the sign would say WMUM 89.7 transmitter is in Cochran so it would be better signal than 91.1. I think WMUM has staff 24/7 also because of Mercer in Macon but maybe I am wrong.

I guess no one cares about this post parts of Laurens County still show 91.1 and on Radio-Locator if you look at 91.1 WSVH it doesn't even cover Laurens it stops before Laurens. In Laurens County I have seen some signs show WSVH 91.1 and some show WMUM 89.7. I know this post is old I haven't been here in awhile. All signs in Laurens should show 89.7 WMUM up to Macon. Then Treutlen East should show 91.1 WSVH. Maybe I should contact Georgia Public Radio.

People on this board don't often have the clout to change things, unless they happen to have some connections.
I'd suggest contacting GPR.
Also, see if you can get hold of someone from the state or local-area Emergency Alert System. Their coordinators could tell you who takes care of the signs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom