• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Former klyx location to be bulldozed?

Was listening to a market composite from 1990 this afternoon and it made me nostalgic for the 70's...so brought up Google Earth to check out KLYX (precursor to KMJQ) location @ 2929 SW Freeway. Google Earth street view shows the Greenway Inn (was Houstonaire Inn when hosting the station in roughly 1972-1974)....and it's spray painted with graffiti. So did some research and realized it closed sometime after 2013....I assume it's going to be toppled by some kind of HazMat suit-wearing team!

KLYX prior location in Clear Lake (as of my last visit) is a software company that apparently supports NASA...whole building now one company so I couldn't go in and snoop.

Anyone happen to have any insight about the SW freeway place? (I notice in my Google searches they were listing room rates at about $50/nite!!.....nothing was listed by the hour).

Last edited:
Location was bulldozed late last year. There is some sort of construction going on at the site. Not sure what they're gonna put there.

Checked city records on the address. No permits have been pulled since 2013, when someone named Ghandi Rashik bought a permit for something or another. See pic.

Permit 2929.JPG

Last edited:
What is going in there is going to be a restaurant, a chain probably. I can't tell from what's up now which chain but it definitely looks larger than a fast food place.

Here's a thread on HAIF on the motel and the old Magic Island place with some history. I do not remember the Colonel Sanders Inn.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30517-two-eyesores-off-59/?hl=houstonaire#entry464698

KLYX moved between May and September, 1974, to 3100 Richmond. That building is still there although the exterior has been updated, I think.

What is going in there is going to be a restaurant, a chain probably. I can't tell from what's up now which chain but it definitely looks larger than a fast food place.

Here's a thread on HAIF on the motel and the old Magic Island place with some history. I do not remember the Colonel Sanders Inn.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30517-two-eyesores-off-59/?hl=houstonaire#entry464698

KLYX moved between May and September, 1974, to 3100 Richmond. That building is still there although the exterior has been updated, I think.

Well, having dinner at the spot. Its now an Olive Garden. Really nice place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom