• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM & TV in Puerto Rico (A Visitor's View)

Puerto Rico makes up the #13 radio market in the U.S. and is an important TV market as well. As David Eduardo tells us, the island's population is 90-something percent Spanish-speaking. Only about a third understand English above a basic level. It's 1000 miles from Miami and its population cannot vote for President, yet everyone is an American citizen. Wages aren't as good as on the mainland but are better than other Caribbean countries.

Puerto Rico counts as one market because most stations simulcast on several frequencies scattered around the island. The biggest stations are based in San Juan. All radio stations are Spanish-speaking except for two AM outlets, although many FM stations play English hits as well as Spanish international hits.

FM

One FM station, 97.3 WOYE (oye means to hear), plays all English language AC music, except for some specialty shows. Because tastes run toward rhythmic music, I heard some lesser hits rarely heard in the states, such as "Lessons in Love" by Level 42, "She-Bop" by Cyndi Lauper and "She Bangs" by Ricky Martin. Even though the music was all-English, the DJs only speak Spanish. Other AC stations play mostly Spanish international hits... Mark Anthony, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Juanes. I'd say about a third of the dial is either AC or Hot AC, although I heard no Soft AC stations. And while many U.S. AC stations play songs from the 70s and even the 60s, I heard nothing from before the mid 80s on the San Juan FM dial. Surprisingly, I heard no Gloria Estefan and only once did I hear Julio Iglesias... his duet with Willie Nelson, "To All The Girls."

There is one Rock station, 105.7 WCAD, playing about 1/3 English and 2/3 Spanish rock, although the English rock definately leans more to the pop side. I heard "There Must Be An Angel" by Annie Lennox, something few rock stations in the U.S. would play. There was no hard rock. And unlike most U.S. rock stations that rely heavily on 60s and 70s artists, there was no classic rock. Same as AC stations, virtually nothing airs that was recorded before the mid-80s.

The island's #1 station is Univision's Top 40 104.7 WKAQ-FM. You can hear why WKAQ-FM is #1. It's a well-executed Top 40 station. Big-voiced DJs, use of phone calls and contests, lots of jingles. The hits are about 60-40 Spanish to English. SBS, a big owner of Spanish stations in the U.S., owns WKAQ-FM's competitor, Mega 106.9 WMEG. It also sounds good and is rated #6. In addition, SBS owns an AC, a Hot AC, a Hurban and a Tropical station.

Tropical stations, with fast percussion, big horn sections and simple lyrics about love, are what most of us think of when we hear Hispanic stations on the East Coast of the U.S. But interestingly, there are only 3 or 4 Tropical stations on the FM dial in San Juan. The top ones are #2 and #3 in the market... but the others don't make the ratings.

The Catholic Church owns an AM, an FM and a TV station. The FM is ranked #10 and is listed as Easy Listening... but I think Traditional Spanish might be a better description of 92.5 WORO-FM. (Oro means gold.) There's no Henry Mancini or Percy Faith on this station. It's a mix of instrumentals and vocals, but all older-styled music, all in Spanish from what I heard.

And there's a good non-commercial Classical station, 91.3 WIPR-FM, co-owned with one of the island's two PBS stations. But again, the announcing is all in Spanish except for a few syndicated classical shows. They don't seem to subscribe to NPR, although they carry some programs from Radio Espana. There's no "All Things Considered" or NPR hourly news... in fact, I heard no news, just Classical music. And apparently there's a sizable audience for this since San Juan also supports a classical philharmonic orchestra.

TV

The top stations on the dial are Telemundo on Channel 2, Univision on 11 and Independent WAPA on 4. Unlike Telemundo and Univision, which dub only movies, WAPA has numerous dubbed shows from the U.S. networks in prime time. I saw an ad in one of the newspapers hawking WAPA's great ratings for "Ghost Whisperer." The ad said, among 18-49 women, WAPA beats both Telemundo's and Univision's 10 pm novelas, by better than 2 to 1 margins, on Tuesday nights. (The WAPA line-up in Puerto Rico and the feed seen on U.S. cable systems vary quite a bit, deleting those dubbed shows from the U.S. networks.)

WAPA has more local news than anyone else... a morning block from 5:30-9:30am, a two hour midday news and talk show, a 5-6pm block and 30 minutes at 11pm. WAPA also does a topical humor show, "Xclusivo," weeknights at 6 pm, where some guy, wearing the puppet head of a woman with a large wig and big lips, a dress and showing his shaved legs in high heels is interviewed by an emcee wearing a white suit and a fedora hat. They apparently were making fun of the candidates in the governor's race... and the owner of Univision. But my Spanish is limited so I didn't get most of the jokes. They punctuate their humor using clips of audiences falling over in laughter, even though there was no real audience in the studio.

WAPA also does a late morning show hosted by two women wearing heavy make-up and big hair called Entre Nosotras (Between Us Women). It's about fashion, beauty and cooking but it looks like a skit from SCTV. After 11:30pm, there's a contest show hosted by a woman using large playing cards and taking phone calls. I suppose as an independent TV station, WAPA has to produce a good deal of its own programming on the cheap. The station apparently is doing well, with plenty of commercials from Macy's, JC Penney, Sears, KFC and Burger King. (There are more Burger Kings in Puerto Rico per mile of highway than anyplace in the U.S., as well as food chains that have just about disappeared from the mainland, such as Church's Fried Chicken, Taco Maker, Ponderosa, Bonanza and Sizzler.)

WAPA's news is done quite well. WAPA appears to have the best traffic and weather coverage... live cameras of major highways and good radar equipment for showing where there are rain cells and thunderstorms around the island. Univision comes close in news coverage, with a morning block, an hour of news at 6pm and a wrap up at 11. Interestingly, Univision pre-empts its network morning show to run local news till 9am. In NYC, Miami and LA, Univision does all its local news from 5-7am, to make way for "Despierta America." But that show doesn't air in Puerto Rico. Of the three major TV stations, Telemundo does the least news, despite being NBC-owned.

The Catholic station, which goes by the name Canal 13, also does news at 6 and 9:30pm, while running Catholic and informational shows the rest of the day, and EWTN en espanol overnight. I noticed they were running an Italian series, dubbed in Spanish, about the life of St. Francis Assisi. Even though there are a few churches that have mass in English around San Juan, I didn't see any English programs on Canal 13.

WIPR-TV, Channel 6, is one of two PBS stations on Puerto Rico. Except for some daytime PBS programs in English, it's mostly a Spanish language outlet, producing many of its own shows, and calling itself "Tu TV." Meanwhile, the other PBS outlet is mostly in English with a few Spanish language shows. This is the place to find The Newshour, Nova and Nature. Overnight it runs "ARTS," a network showing videos of classical music performances. It has two UHF transmitters, one in Ponce on the south shore of the island and one in Fajardo in the Northeast, which allows it to hit both San Juan and the Virgin Islands. On the San Juan cable system, it gets to be on Channel 3.

I haven't mentioned the English language TV stations yet because they're all on UHF and/or low power. All run on a shoestring. One is an ABC affiliate, one is CBS and one is Fox. They carry all their networks' shows and some syndicated fare such as Oprah, Rachel Ray, Dr. Phil and the daytime judge shows. But they also run tons of infomercials, some in English and some in Spanish. None does its own news. As mentioned in another thread, there are no English news operations on the island. As David Eduardo says, there are so few viewers who only speak English that it wouldn't be practical. (There are also three daily newspapers, all tabloid and all in Spanish.)

The ABC station picks up some WABC-TV New York newscasts. The CBS outlet just runs network news. It calls itself "CBS Caribbean" so I assume its transmitter hits both Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The Fox station airs no news. And there's no over-the-air NBC outlet. The cable system picks up WNBC, with its New York commercials and news included.

SBS owns a UHF outlet, which, similar to its Top 40 station, it calls Mega 30. The station runs the FM's morning show, much as the Stern and Imus shows get seen on TV. And there are some other low budget video music shows and comedy shows, much like a Spanish MTV. In fact, unlike the U.S. where MTV and VH-1 have all but stopped running music videos, there are numerous UHF and cable channels running Spanish music videos up and down the dial. Several UHF and low-power stations run Protestant religion broadcasts in Spanish and those ever-present infomercials.

The cable system that covers San Juan, One Link, has about 80 basic channels, about a third in Spanish, including TV Espana from Madrid, CNN Espanol and Discovery Kids in Spanish. Two-thirds are English, including BBC World News, CNN and MSNBC, but not Fox News. There are no outlets picked up for the CW, Ion or My Networks.

Gregg
[email protected]

Yes, the wages in PR are low. My friend teaches Spanish at a public high school in Dorado and her annual salary is about 20k, less than half of what she would make in NY or LA.

Gregg said:
And there's a good non-commercial Classical station, 91.3 WIPR-FM, co-owned with one of the island's two PBS stations. But again, the announcing is all in Spanish except for a few syndicated classical shows. They don't seem to subscribe to NPR, although they carry some programs from Radio Espana. There's no "All Things Considered" or NPR hourly news... in fact, I heard no news, just Classical music. And apparently there's a sizable audience for this since San Juan also supports a classical philharmonic orchestra.

WIPR also owns an AM station on 940. It's not clear to me what the AM station runs for programming, or if it's even on the air. (the last time I visited the website it said the station was off the air but would return soon on such-and-such a date -- a date that had already passed...)

Anyway, presuming it is on the air I would expect the news programming to be on AM 940.

w9wi said:
And there's a good non-commercial Classical station,

The station could never be called "classical" because the classical music is kind of the fill between the talk. Right now, with the change in administration in the Island government, many positions that are political appointments are unfilled... the station is usually on auto-pilot when the administration changes, UNormally there are news/commentary blocks in the morning, noon and afternoon, as well ad features on Puerto Rican music and culture, etc.

91.3 WIPR-FM, co-owned with one of the island's two PBS stations.

Do you mean WIPR-AM? That was on low power, and then silent for years. It is back on as of early 2007, with more talk than music. Gets about a 0.0 to 0.2 share, but it has very limited coverage compared to the FM, which is the only FM in PR to cover the whole Island with one signal.

But again, the announcing is all in Spanish except for a few syndicated classical shows.

Only about 15,000 on the Island are Continentals. Everyone else has Spanish as their primary language. There is no native English speaking group.

They don't seem to subscribe to NPR, although they carry some programs from Radio Espana. There's no "All Things Considered" or NPR hourly news... in fact, I heard no news, just Classical music. And apparently there's a sizable audience for this since San Juan also supports a classical philharmonic orchestra.

The station gets perhaps a 0.5 share... and most of it is for the non-classical shows if you do a daypart analysis.

radio124 said:
Yes, the wages in PR are low. My friend teaches Spanish at a public high school in Dorado and her annual salary is about 20k, less than half of what she would make in NY or LA.

Cost of living is lower... a benign climate being a principal factor.

Teachers in private schools make a lot more than the public school system. As in most of Latin America, if you are middle class or above you would never send your children to a public school.

One of my daughters spent several years as the head of the Department of Instruction's legal department, and one of the big issues of the school system is that teachers tend to move to the private schools if they can... of course, most of those are "bilingual" so good English is often a requirement to teach there.

DavidEduardo said:
91.3 WIPR-FM, co-owned with one of the island's two PBS stations.

Do you mean WIPR-AM? That was on low power, and then silent for years. It is back on as of early 2007, with more talk than music. Gets about a 0.0 to 0.2 share, but it has very limited coverage compared to the FM, which is the only FM in PR to cover the whole Island with one signal.

I think he was referring (by "PBS stations") to WIPR-TV channel 6 (and channel 3 Mayaguez) and to WMTJ-TV channel 40. (and its Ponce transmitter on channel 26)

I however was indeed referring to WIPR-AM...

Actually, the playlist for KQ-105 is more like 80% Spanish language hits and 20% English language. If you check this week's current playlist of 30 songs, you will find only six songs in English.

radio124 said:
Actually, the playlist for KQ-105 is more like 80% Spanish language hits and 20% English language. If you check this week's current playlist of 30 songs, you will find only six songs in English.

The percentage varies a lot, with as few as two or three songs and as many as 8 or 9 being in English, depending on the hits themselves. The norm seems to be 5 to 7, though. The station is dayparted, so some hours will have a different blend.

Back to WIPR-FM...

Unless I was listening to the wrong station, it was almost all Classical Music. I had it on quite a few hours in the car since there were no other "soft" music stations. Most of the day, there were fairly familiar classical music pieces playing, maybe moreso than an NPR classical station on the mainland. The announcer/DJ gave us the info in Spanish. I heard him say The Acadamy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields once, which made me chuckle. That London church produces numerous classical music albums. I also heard announcements for upcoming dates by the San Juan Symphony Orchestra.

And at night, I heard a syndicated classical show in English, much as one might hear it on NPR. But no NPR news or talk programming. One show I caught "Radio Espana" as the syndicator.

And the station has a killer signal. The only San Juan FM audible from Fajardo to Arricebo, the farthest east and west we traveled in the rental car.

This was a few weeks before the election of Governor.

Gregg
[email protected]

Gregg said:

It's been "on hold" for a long time. No officially appointed adminstrator, no budget for programming. And the secure knowledge that the party holding the governorship would change caused many to leave everywhere in the PDP administration... so nobody would risk taking a job.

There would likely be no NPR programming unless it were in Spanish or music base, particularly under a PDP administration.

Gregg said:

It's been "on hold" for a long time. No officially appointed adminstrator, no budget for programming. And the secure knowledge that the party holding the governorship would change caused many to leave everywhere in the PDP administration... so nobody would risk taking a job.

There would likely be no NPR programming unless it were in Spanish or music base, particularly under a PDP administration.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom