• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Talk?

Wish we had more FM talk stations in Northwest Illinois. There is beginning to be so much electrical and other interference, that listening to AM is increasingly harder. The only FM option right now is the NPR signals (WNIJ and repeaters)from NIU which are enough to bore you to tears for the most part.

The area I'm in has not had an all talk FM for a long time. The last one I can think of was 103.3 in Spring Valley which signed on as Talk Radio 103.3 FM WAIV at the beginning of April 1994. shortly after I started working there. That lasted till 1997 when Mendoat Braodcasting took over WAIV (now WIVQ and co owned WLRZ (now WBZG) and changed the format to light AC. Now it is part of the top forty simulcast of Q97.7 & Q103.3 which it has been sense March of 2000. I don't think anyone has tried talk in this area on FM snese. We have a bunch of talk stations on AM in this area. WLPO AM La Salle, WZOE AM Princeton, and WCMY in Ottawa, and my former employer owned WSPL AM Streator.

ETA, I almost forgot Mendota Broadcasting did simulcast the talk format of WSPL AM 1250 (formerly WIZZ) on WYYS FM 106.1 for a short time at the beginning of the 2000's after 97.7 went top forty. 97.7 and 106.1 simulcast a country format prior to Mendota Broadcasting taking over the stations. That I think was the last time talk on FM was attempted in this area. Not counting the WNIJ repeater in La Salle of course.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom