• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 92.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler, TX:

Having local powerhouse KTYL next door can be problematic for 92.9, but the most usual suspects are KRMX Marlin, serving Waco, as country outlet "Shooter FM", and KSPH Springhill, LA, a repeater of Houston Christian Broadcasters Christian teaching programming from KHCB-FM in Houston.

Speaking of Houston, on rare occasions KKBQ "93Q" Country makes an appearance here. Never have I caught KHLA in Jennings, or KROM San Antonio.

KW Melbourne FL

92.9 MHz

WIKX - Charlotte Harbor FL - Kicks Country 92-9 - Country - 2015 (southwest Florida)

WMFQ - Ocala-Gainesville FL - Q92 - #1 hit music station - 2015 (north central Florida)

retro....
KOSP - Ozark MO - The River - Best of 70s/80s/whatever - 2009
KLSC - Malden MO - The River - Best of 70s/80s/whatever - 2009
KTGL - Beatrice NE - The Eagle - 92.9 Lincoln’s 80s+ - 2007
WJZQ - Cadillac MI - 92-9 - The Breeze Traverse City area - 2006
KNIN - Wichita Falls TX - 92-9 NIN - Contemporary hits - 2003

Wilmington Delaware

WRDX 'Tom FM' in Smyrna DE 45 miles to my S with 1700 W. Surprisingly it puts in a good signal here with my HD radio lighting up with HD but generally it can't get a lock.

Retro - Back in the 90's the owners moved Country WDSD 94.7 with 50000W to 92.9 and put Classic Rock on 94.7. That didn't last long with most of Central and Southern DE being rural so Country moved back to 94.7 which covers the entire state while 92.9 just covers Central DE.

Denver, CO -
Normally it would be K229BS, a translator for one of KUVO's HD channels. But...it's on a silent STA right now. Quoting its FCC filing, "Failure of STL system due to movement of primary studio location. Non-profit is currently resource limited for repair of this link. It is estimated that the problem will be resolved within three months."

So, instead, I'm getting KPAW, whose licensed location is Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming, with a transmitter on Saddleback Mountain west of Cheyenne, but which is really a rimshot to Fort Collins, CO as indicated by its TOH ID. Steady and consistent, but noisy in stereo. It's yet another iHeart rock station, "92.9 The Bear".

When K229BS comes back on, it may get interesting. K229BS's predicted 60 dBµ contour misses me - predicted coverage for me appears to be between 50 and 45 dBµ. That's still better than the predicted coverage of KPAW at my location.

East Tennessee: Tossup between WFHG, Bluff Cities TN (Tri-Cities TN/VA) and WVLK-FM Lexington KY, with WFHG more often. Also WGTZ, Eaton, OH (Dayton) a couple of times. and WZGC, Atlanta once.

Retro/other:In the Dayton OH area was mostly WGTZ but when to was off the air, WVLK was right there, and one morning, making listeners wonder if a format change had taken place, and where Man O War Parkway was. In my home area, Celina/St Marys WGTZ or WNDU(V) South Bend IN.
Lafayette IN area: Either WSEI, Olney IL (known for carrying St. Lous Cardinals games in Southeast IL). or WNDU(V). KGRC, Hannibal MO a couple of times. I worked at that particular 92.9 in 1985-86.

WSKL Veedersburg IN is likely blocking WSEI and WNDV in the Lafayette area these days

Hartland, VT:

Adult contemporary powerhouse WEZF Burlington, currently all-Christmas.

Meriden, CT:

WEHM Manorville, NY, adult album alternative.

WEGX Dillon/Florence or a local translator in Charleston carrying CSN programming. WEGX has one of the best FM signals of any station in the Carolinas east of the mountains. On WBTW (CBS)’s tall TV tower.

Clifton, New Jersey

No nearby licensed stations, but I have been able receive WEHM "92.9 & 96.9 EHM" Manorville, NY, WBOS "Rock 92.9" Brookline, MA and WTWV-FM "92.9 The Wave" Suffolk, VA several times during tropo.

DX/Retro: On 8/16/2021, I received a faint signal of WRDX "92.9 Tom-FM" Smyrna, DE during tropo. On 6/03/2022, I received WTUG-FM "92.9 WTUG" Northport, AL during e-skip.

Here in DownEast Maine it's WEZQ Bangor "92.9 The Ticket" Sports programming and Red Sox baseball in season.

In suburban Columbus, Ohio, it's local W225CS as part of the "CD 92.9" tandem. The other FM half of that tandem is W225CM out of Delaware, also on 92.9. Yes, it creates a bit of a mess in northern parts of the metro area, some of which I detailed in an old thread I can't find at the moment when Columbus' 92.9 came on the air and created the mess while Delaware's 92.9, then simulcasting WDLR, had been there for some time.
Anyway, get not too far west of Columbus and WGTZ takes over. It could be heard in parts of the Columbus area before the two translators popped in.

Detroit, MI suburbs:

Nothing closeby, but several signals are frequent out-of-town guests on 92.9 MHz here.

WLMI Lansing, MI: Recently (2007) moved to the frequency from 92.7 MHz. Can be heard (Extremely weak) west of Detroit. ~65 miles

WGTZ Dayton, OH: The slightest bit of enhancement and this station makes an appearance. Can be received about 50% of the time if I point my yagi toward it. ~200 miles.

WBUF Buffalo, NY: Used to be heard pretty frequently here, not as frequent now but still makes appearances. ~240 miles.

Rare: WJZQ Cadillac. Received here only once or twice. ~200 miles.

Also: There's now a translator on the air in Toledo, OH. Forget the call. ~55 miles.

Central Kentucky:

WVLK FM "K 92.9" Country. Has been for 41 years.

A monster signal from the WKYT tower in eastern Fayette county. Have never heard anything else on this frequency.

When flipped to country from beautiful music, in 1982, the Lexington newspapers ( morning and evening then) editorial page was full of "hate" letters regarding the format change.
Was called "K 93" for years, using a canned country format similar to the way TM stereo rock was formatted.
Cume-less changed the call letters to WLXX "The Bear" but retained the country format. They returned to the WVLK FM call letters a few years back.
WBUL which is the other big signal country in Lexington, seems to beat them regularly

92.7 is a mix between WRRV FM Middletown Alternative Rock and WLIR FM 92.7 which is now Family Radio out on Western Long Island. The closest station is WEHM FM AAA I think on Eastern Long Island and the next one is WBPM FM Classic Hits in Saugerties NY in the Hudson Valley.

A couple of people mentioned WJZQ Cadillac. Before all the new stations, translators, IBOC sidebands, and before they went from Class C to Class C1 from further North, they were WWTV-FM and WKJF-FM, 100 kW from 900, then 1020 feet HAAT from the highest land in the Lower Peninsula. It got out 150-200 miles in many directions, except where there were cochannel and first adjacent channel stations.

In Wilkes-Barre(Northeast PA), it's WMGS "Magic 93", one of the most listened to radio stations in my area. Owned by Cumulus Media, this station is heard almost everywhere: dentist offices, retail stores, restaurants, you name it. They play a mix of music from the 80's through today, with an occasional all-80's weekend as well as two "Backtraxx USA" weekend shows featuring 80's/90's music.

Retro: Before "Magic" signed on, it used to be a Big Band/Pop Standards WYZZ, known as "Whiz Radio". Their studios were located in a residential area. You can listen to a vintage aircheck when it was "Whiz Radio" back in 1983 below:

On the west side of Madison, Wisconsin, KATF from Dubuque, Iowa has a faint signal. Drive a little west of Madison, and you can enjoy KAT FM's unique adult contemporary mix all the way to Dubuque and beyond on US 151.

I do like listening to KAT FM when traveling to/through SW Wisconsin. It's a small-town, independently-owned station that's locally programmed and has a fairly broad playlist for an AC station. It's not uncommon for me to hear a "haven't heard that song in a while" song when listening. Their selection of holiday music is similarly expansive and has also had some nice surprises. Just heard a Pete Yorn cover of "Do They Know It's Christmas" I didn't know was out there.

In the past, I've heard the station regularly give the river height at Dubuque, which I always thought was another neat feature that made KATF unique. I'm not sure they still do that (haven't heard the river height last few times I've listened), but the station is still Dubuque unique. I see on their website they're airing portions of local school choir concerts daily in December, too.

Anyway, that's my KAT FM appreciation post. :)

Other than KATF, my other "DX" on 92.9 has been KTGL, Beatrice / Lincoln, Nebraska. The "Eagle" is a fun classic rock station to listen to, you can listen to for hours and hear lots of great music. Which I really appreciated when I had a stretch where I was driving all over northern Kansas, southern Nebraska and eastern Iowa with horrible cell phone reception. I listened to the "Eagle" a lot.

Central Kansas:
A blank frequency locally, but call pull in KMXN/Osage City here and there.

North Iowa:
My location was just outside KFSI/Rochester’s coverage area, but every now and then, KATF/Dubuque would pop in, particularly if you were going further east. KKIA-FM/Ida Grove would also pop in occasionally, albeit very rarely.

There was an allocation for a station on 92.9 licensed to the nearby community of Rockford for many years that was recently won by VCY, but was recently moved to 94.7. Have not heard if the now KVPJ has made it to air yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom