• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Flak over Wallen appearance at Opry

What exactly is the "right term"? I also see a lot of media referring to smartphone video recordings as being "videotaped" or just "taped". But shortening it to "videoed" doesn't sound right -- too many vowels in a row. And I think "sex tape" is always going to be referred to as such -- "sex video file" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Even the term "footage" is technically obsolete, since it refers to the physical length of a piece of film, which was measured in feet.
I sparked a discussion on the copy desk at the last newspaper I worked for when I red-flagged "filmed" and was overheard trying to get in touch with the reporter to find out which medium was actually used. My boss told me "filmed" was fine, in his eyes, for any of the modern media that have generally supplanted film, and that the matter wasn't worth pursuing. "Videoed" has never caught on, so -- like the gender-neutral personal pronoun -- this seems destined to remain a problem that out language is unable to fully solve.

The Academy of Country Music Awards nominations were announced yesterday, and Wallen received three, including Male Vocalist and Album of the Year. He was banned from the 2021 awards. I hear the current discussion revolves around whether or not he will perform:

Wallen was not nominated in the video of the year category.

What exactly is the "right term"? I also see a lot of media referring to smartphone video recordings as being "videotaped" or just "taped". But shortening it to "videoed" doesn't sound right -- too many vowels in a row. And I think "sex tape" is always going to be referred to as such -- "sex video file" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Even the term "footage" is technically obsolete, since it refers to the physical length of a piece of film, which was measured in feet.
I think we are getting to just referring to “video” and “audio” with less terminology

My wife and I started thinking of antiquated terms. “Ice box” continued to be used for decades after the “ice man” ceased delivering blocks. It is fun to think about antiquated terms still in use… sort of like playing Jeopardy.

I think we are getting to just referring to “video” and “audio” with less terminology

My wife and I started thinking of antiquated terms. “Ice box” continued to be used for decades after the “ice man” ceased delivering blocks. It is fun to think about antiquated terms still in use… sort of like playing Jeopardy.
We still hear people talk about "dialing" a phone number. Are there even any phone systems left that could handle calls to and from a rotary phone if one were to be plugged into a jack?

Bringing this thread somewhat on topic again: Old-timers will still refer to country music, even the kind that dominates radio now, as "country and western."

I'm an old(older) white guy who happens to like Wallen's music. I realize he got sideways over a slur he said he used with his buddies and not specifically against anyone racially. I heard he apologized and made amends. Is he banned because someone really doesn't like him, or doesn't like his success? Plenty of others have made similar comments, apologized and come back. What's the story?

We still hear people talk about "dialing" a phone number. Are there even any phone systems left that could handle calls to and from a rotary phone if one were to be plugged into a jack?
Yes, many VOIP systems still support rotary dialing, fax machines, and computer modems -- pretty much anything you can do with an analog phone line. The only things notably lacking are sidetone -- hearing your own voice in the receiver as you talk -- and "comfort noise" -- the small amount of background noise that telephone companies injected into the line so that you wouldn't think it is dead.

I'm an old(older) white guy who happens to like Wallen's music. I realize he got sideways over a slur he said he used with his buddies and not specifically against anyone racially.
That doesn't necessarily make it any less offensive.

I heard he apologized and made amends. Is he banned because someone really doesn't like him, or doesn't like his success? Plenty of others have made similar comments, apologized and come back. What's the story?
If you had read the rest of the thread you would've learned that he only got a temporary slap on the wrist until the controversy died down, and his career has fully recovered.

For the last two weeks, Wallen's Sand in My Boots has been Number 2 on Billboard's Country Airplay chart. This would be impossible if all the big country music stations were continuing to ban him. More than likely the radio companies have determined that they stand to make more money by playing Wallen than by censoring him.

Bringing this thread somewhat on topic again: Old-timers will still refer to country music, even the kind that dominates radio now, as "country and western."
When I worked at JTV, the daily internal program guide would refer to a "taped" show if we were running an encore.
Escape (The Pina Colada Song) is still part of pop culture, even while referring to newspaper personal ads, which have been supplanted by online and on-app dating

For the last two weeks, Wallen's Sand in My Boots has been Number 2 on Billboard's Country Airplay chart. This would be impossible if all the big country music stations were continuing to ban him. More than likely the radio companies have determined that they stand to make more money by playing Wallen than by censoring him.

That was noted in the OP of this thread. The radio ban was apparently lifted last fall.

No invitation for Wallen to perform on the upcoming Academy of Country Music awards. Article doesn't say if he'll be allowed into the building to sit in the audience, or if so, if he'll be permitted to accept on stage any award he might win. Of course, the viewership for this year's show will be limited to those who have Prime accounts with Amazon -- and, I suppose, those who use foreign-based streaming services or who "borrow" login information from friends.

Another industry olive branch to Wallen -- Jimmie Allen performs with him.

Anyone who wants to know how popular this kid is: He sold out three nights at a 20,000 seat arena. While one can say that's only 60,000 people, and some went two or three nights, it's rare that ANY artist sells out an arena for 3 nights. Especially one who's under 30 and has only 7 hit songs and is on his second album.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom