• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Firmware and the clock

I realise there is no "network" to speak of, but why can't stations update everyone's clocks and send firmware updates out to everyone? Over the air programming is nothing new.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

> I realise there is no "network" to speak of, but why can't
> stations update everyone's clocks and send firmware updates
> out to everyone? Over the air programming is nothing new.

WWVB might have to start running commercials to compete! :) -- Jason

> I realise there is no "network" to speak of, but why can't
> stations update everyone's clocks ...
_________

Many PBS TV stations include time code in the vertical interval, which some consumer devices use. I have a JVC combo VCR/DVD player that does. It scans all the channels looking for one with the time code, then sets (and corrects) its internal clock automatically. The time display matches my WWVB radio clock, as close as I can tell by "eyeballing."

>
> Many PBS TV stations include time code in the vertical
> interval, which some consumer devices use. I have a JVC
> combo VCR/DVD player that does. It scans all the channels
> looking for one with the time code, then sets (and corrects)
> its internal clock automatically. The time display matches
> my WWVB radio clock, as close as I can tell by "eyeballing."
>

Good point, and so do I.
Sadly, the last time I looked at my local PBS station, about a year ago, they were about a minute behind. I would like to use them, but I do not trust them.
Any way, all stations should send time information out.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom