• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC Seeks To End Simulcasts

I’m in Houston where we have KGLK 107.5 and KHPT 106.9 simulcasting “The Eagle” Classic Rock format. There is significant overlap with the 60 dBu contours, especially over the urban core.

Yeah, Radio-locator maps, but they give you a good overview of the situation:

So would this be an arrangement affected by any new FM simulcast rule?

I agree that many AMs would be shut down or sold off should this come into effect.

This means the Y-107 Quadcast could never happen again. It was a Country music format simulcasting on four signals on 107.1 rimshotting the NYC market: WYNY (now WXPK, Westchester/Rockland County area), WWXY (now WLIR-FM, Long Island), WWYY (Northeast NJ/Lehigh Valley), and WWZY (Jersey Shore).

This means the Y-107 Quadcast could never happen again. It was a Country music format simulcasting on four signals on 107.1 rimshotting the NYC market: WYNY (now WXPK, Westchester/Rockland County area), WWXY (now WLIR-FM, Long Island), WWYY (Northeast NJ/Lehigh Valley), and WWZY (Jersey Shore).
No. It would have not affected that and the rule was in effect then. None of those signals had 50% contour overlap. It would prevent a simulcast of say WKTU and WLTW becoming a permanent simulcast.

As I said earlier in the thread, this was the rule eliminated in 2020.

"The current radio duplication rule prohibits any commercial AM or FM radio station from devoting “more than 25 percent of the total hours in its average broadcast week to programs that duplicate those of any other station in the same service (AM or FM) which is commonly owned or with which it has a time brokerage agreement if the principal community contours . . . of the stations overlap and the overlap constitutes more than 50 percent of the total principal community contour service area of either station.”

I’m in Houston where we have KGLK 107.5 and KHPT 106.9 simulcasting “The Eagle” Classic Rock format. There is significant overlap with the 60 dBu contours, especially over the urban core.
The rule was in effect until 2020. The simulcast started in 2011.

This means the Y-107 Quadcast could never happen again.
i don't think that the overlap exceeded the percentages I have seen cited.

So would AM stations no longer be allowed to simulcast other co-owned AM stations? Like WJIB and WJTO did, or WCMC and WMID in NJ.
As one who was involved in the Petition for Reconsideration to reverse this rule, I specifically asked to keep status quo (NO anti-simulcast rule) for AM. Mainly to permit analog + HD simulcast, but also because of the unique simulcasts and the reason why they exist. The only thing we are asking for is reconsideration where it comes to full-service FMs.

Would overlapping FM translators have to get a waiver?
Commonly owned translators already can't simulcast over 50% without a showing. That rule was never eliminated. There is no anti-simulcast rule if the translators are not commonly owned and this Petition for Reconsideration will not establish any new rules. It was not addressed as there was never a rule in the first place.

Commonly owned translators already can't simulcast over 50% without a showing. That rule was never eliminated. There is no anti-simulcast rule if the translators are not commonly owned and this Petition for Reconsideration will not establish any new rules. It was not addressed as there was never a rule in the first place.
I know of an operation that has some explaining to do..

Back
Top Bottom