• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC levies fine against Worcester Pirate

The FCC has levied a fine against a Worcester pirate at 102.3 after a complaint from Greater Media or Beasley...not sure if it was before or after Beasley's purchase became official.

From the Telegram article below, "The Boston field office first received a complaint about the unlicensed broadcasting in the Worcester area from WKLB-FM, 102.5 FM, according to the FCC. The agency used mobile direction-finding techniques to identify the source of radio frequency transmissions."

What sounds like a very strong pirate in the Worcester area is broadcasting on 93.5.

I've included a link to the MassLive article, too.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/01/fcc_fines_worcester_man_15k_fo.html

http://www.telegram.com/news/20170122/pirate-radio-station-operator-in-worcester-is-fined-15k

That's why there should be equipment seizures and arrests.

The pirate radio at 93.5 has been on the air even longer than the pirate at 102.3. I'm surprised iHeart hasn't filed a complaint on that station.

It's not law it's regulation. It is not an arrestable offence nor does the FCC have ability on their own to seize equipment. To do that they must get the US attorney involved who then if he is convinced all other measures have been exhausted will have the US Marshalls seize the equipment. In several of the recent cases where this was done in Boston the pirates were soon back on the air with new equipment. There is no easy answer today.

It's not law it's regulation. It is not an arrestable offence nor does the FCC have ability on their own to seize equipment. To do that they must get the US attorney involved who then if he is convinced all other measures have been exhausted will have the US Marshalls seize the equipment. In several of the recent cases where this was done in Boston the pirates were soon back on the air with new equipment. There is no easy answer today.

Incorrect. Transmitting without a license is a violation of 47 USC Section 301, a federal LAW (the Communications Act). Every FCC letter to an unlicensed broadcaster says it.

Perhaps I'm incorrect I thought FCC rules where part of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) but as far as I know no pirate has ever been arrested that didn't break some other law and I don't believe FCC agents have the power of arrest.

Perhaps I'm incorrect I thought FCC rules where part of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) but as far as I know no pirate has ever been arrested that didn't break some other law and I don't believe FCC agents have the power of arrest.

Regulations must have a basis at law. They don't exist in a legal vacuum. The basis and authority for Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations is Title 47, United States Code. Pirates who are arrested are charged with violating Title 47, United States Code, Section 301...a LAW, not a rule.

FCC field agents do not have power of arrest, but federal marshalls and local or state police do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom