• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fayetteville and Cumulus

Does anyone know what is going on at Cumulus Fayetteville? I haven't been able to get them online for almost 24 hours and everything else owned by Cumulus is working fine. Also, Q98, be consistant on your wrap! Why do you skip past the wrap parts on Tonight by Enrique Eglacius, DJ Got Us Falling in Love by Usher, and On the Floor by Jennifer Lopez yet you play Bad Meets Evil - Lighters and Airplanes by B.O.B even though those are mostly wrap? Does that make sense to anyone else on this board? While we're on the topic and there aren't boards for discussion of companies, has anyone heard what Cumulus will do with the Citadel stations? I expected them to have completely redesigned websites to match the other Cumulus stations and there streams to be on cumulusstreaming.com like everyone else. However, the only difference I see in the way they operate is saying a Cumulus station at the top of the hour. They are just using the old Citadel sites and streaming player. Does anyone know if they are going to do anything about this?

They "Cumulus" are supposed to "streamline" everything (Cumulus and Citadel) for cost savings. This most likely will mean the old Citadel sites will use the server service that Cumulus uses which will have a different IP address. When this happens your domain name server that your ISP uses has "learn" the new "dotted quad" or IP address number (up to 32 numbers: that is why most people use a name). Web servers should update domain name servers automatically, but there are a lot of domain name servers out there to update.

BTW WBAP and WABC switched this weekend and a lot of browsers "could not find" the new IP number for a couple of days.

That's what I thought was going to happen. So you answered my second question, how about the first question? Why are the Fayetteville streams down? A similar situation happened in Abilene a couple of years ago. The streams were out for about a month. By the time I found out about it, they had gotten a notice posted on the websites saying that the building took two direct lightning strikes. I see no such explanation on q98fm.com. Any idea why?

I've logged two more outages of Q98 just this weekend. They were out briefly yesterday and were out again when I tried to listen to the stream about half an hour ago. Knowing them, they're probably back on by now. What's going on? Is there internet provider really that bad? I don't think I've ever had a problem with the Atlanta stations or the few times I've listened to Cincinnati stations, the Eugene stations, and the only time I've had problems with the Huntsville stations is when they lost internet due to the tornado earlier this year.

There are a lot of things that can wrong with a web stream. First your station has to "send" the programming to the streaming host. This should be done using some form an internet tunneling of a if you have lots money to spend I guess you could use a T1 and send several stream contents from one location. Then at the web streaming sever the program content (digital form of the station's audio) has to be downloaded then put back into the streaming server. The data packets from the streaming service have to "find" there way to your PC then they are put in the correct order then the "decoded" so you have audio.

From the outside looking in (I do not work for either Cumulus or Citadel) I will bet the web streaming of a sub top 20 market is not a big issue right now. Cumulus has to "fix" the old ABC stations. They are very expensive properties that Storm Cloud has increase profit from or Cumulus could end up like Citadel with new owners.

Two points,
1. I assume it was a similar issue that happened in Bangore a while back, but it only happened once, so I really don't see the issue here.
2. If I were them, I wouldn't spend anymore money on streaming (getting WFVL and the few others that aren't streaming on) but I would fix this problem. Q98 is becoming my favorite hot AC, and I'd like to listen as much as I can.

I know they cut their staff down in Columbia SC and the ABC stations are giving them a fit at the moment only to make them more cranky.

bobdavcav said:
Q98 is becoming my favorite hot AC, and I'd like to listen as much as I can.
Move here.
Plenty of restaurants and businesses play Q98. ;)

But they are running on a skeleton crew, for sure. The place feels empty.

quadraphonic said:
bobdavcav said:
Move here.

Thanks but no thanks, I'd move to Dallas before I moved out there.

bobdavcav said:
quadraphonic said:
bobdavcav said:
Move here.

Oh well. Just trying to help you solve your little "the stream is down oh my" problem.
Carry on.

quadraphonic said:
bobdavcav said:
quadraphonic said:
bobdavcav said:
Move here.

Oh well. Just trying to help you solve your little "the stream is down oh my" problem.
Carry on.

Lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom