• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Elvis Presley News Airchecks from 1977

Note these videos are airchecks of news reports showing the 1977 death of Elvis. Elvis name in recent days have been trending because of the death of Lisa Marie Presley and her role in keeping Graceland alive in recent news reports. The stories about Lisa Marie Presley having to live with the pressures of living in the shadows of Elvis came into play when her death was announced and the remaining fans of Elvis going to Graceland again this time to mourn Lisa Marie Presley came into play.

Last edited:
I was traveling by car with parents in ‘77 and they had the radio on and the news came over. I was just barely 18 and didn’t really understand the importance. I think you needed to be 10 years older to understand. But I do remember how media reacted. The media response was more important than my knowledge at the time and I was surprised. Mostly due to my age as I was not yet old enough to consider his greatness. Definitely a learning experience.

Last edited:

Here is one from Boston were they were responding to Elvis intending to have a concert in New England at the time of his death and Boston area radio stations respond to his death.

I remember the day Elvis died very well.

I was working at a summer job and listening to WLS. I was driving near Halsted and 35th in Chicago. They made the announcement and then played "In the Ghetto."

The CBS Evening News famously buried the death of Elvis deep in its broadcast that day, while NBC and ABC led with it. Huge mistake.

Article from 2017: https://www.thewrap.com/elvis-presley-death-birth-modern-entertainment-journalism/

Incorrect. It wasn't the lede, but it was the second story, starting 6:30 into the program, for 70 seconds. (And following a one-minute commercial. Commercials early in network newscasts were common then, and there were only four minutes of ads in a newscast running about 28 minutes.)

Source: Vanderbilt Television News Archive abstract: CBS Evening News for 1977-08-16 | Vanderbilt Television News Archive

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom