• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Earth to URBan! (and a few other observations)

I want someone from URBan to respond to this because I think some questions need to be answered. Mainly, how could they let a once great group of stations go to the crapper like they have? I was scanning the Meridian dial tonight and I have to say that, for the most part, the stations in Meridian sound great... except most of the URB stations. It truly amazes me that anyone there could be proud of the product they're giving out up there because, for the most part, it's garbage.

First, a bit of praise. Kiss 104 sounds great. The processing sounds good, the imaging is decent and the programming is good (it's a good thing I like blues, huh?). It sounds like they took the Omnia off of Hot and put it on Kiss because it has that crisp, clear and undistorted sound unlike what Hot has now. Speaking of Hot...

Hot sounds terrible. The processing is flat and there's a VERY bad hum somewhere in the audio chain. The programming is also a joke. When I heard them on my way home they were playing - are you ready for this? - "Wait" by the Ying Yang Twins. The Beat wouldn't touch that song now because it's OLD. Yes, it was a hit... five years ago. Rhythmic (if that's what they even call themselves now) is not about gold but about what's hot now. I programmed a rhythmic station for a while... I never would have taken it in the direction that Hot is in now. Yikes.

Miss 101 sounds awful. I thought it sounded really distorted. The fact that they only have right side audio going over the air might have something to do with that. I couldn't stand to listen to it.

Q's processing sounds decent (but not great) but I'm not a fan of John Tesh. Never have been, never will be. To me the music is somewhat all over the place but that just seems to be the nature of modern AC.

I didn't listen to 1450 tonight but last time I Heard it, it sounded good.

I want to give some kudos to the staff at V 93.5 at the Holladay Radio Ranch. V sounds very much like Q did when it was number one and I have to give my hats off to those guys for working as hard as they have. The imaging sounds good; I didn't like the pre-recorded artist and title at the end of most of the songs at first but it's grown on me and I see the value in it. It's also nice to hear John Anthony and Nate West on there even if they are piped in. They fit well and the lay listener would never know that they were tracked. Congrats to them.

Please, URB, please... either invest some time and money into the group or let it go back to Clear Channel. It truly saddens me to hear the state of the stations right now. The staff that is still there deserves better.

Jonathan

URBan is hurting. They are out of money and it comes through in the product. Don't forget, they only lease Meridian. I have no doubt Clear Channel will end up running that cluster again.

Why would CCU want it back? They have damaged those brands so badly that CCU would rather sell them than get them back. They will not bring NEARLY what they have in them but they will cut their losses now and walk away. CCU should never have gotten into markets the size of Meridian in the first place. It takes just as much effort and time to make money in a small market as it takes in a large one ( effort not money).Their time & effort is better spent in markets that can cash flow real $$$$$. Where ever that is........

Nowhere in my post did I say they wanted it back. I am sure they don't. But at some point, if the check isn't coming, they will take it back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom