• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does TV Have Input to Sports Teams Uniforms?

I'm currently watching the women's gold medal hockey game between USA and Canada. The USA are wearing white jerseys while the Canadians are in red jerseys with black numbers/names. The numbers and names on the Canadian side are virtually invisible.

Wouldn't someone on the Olympic TV broadcast have noticed this beforehand?

This is the only game I've watched so I am unaware if this situation exists elsewhere in this competition.

I'm currently watching the women's gold medal hockey game between USA and Canada. The USA are wearing white jerseys while the Canadians are in red jerseys with black numbers/names. The numbers and names on the Canadian side are virtually invisible.

Wouldn't someone on the Olympic TV broadcast have noticed this beforehand?

This is the only game I've watched so I am unaware if this situation exists elsewhere in this competition.
Yes, especially in the black & white television days, the teams had to wear contrasting colors in order to be seen properly. Of course, jerseys back then didn't have names, just numbers, right? Canada must've messed that one up a little bit, and I would assume it's still the rules that the audience has to be able to clearly see the design. Maybe it's different in Olympics world.

Whatever happened to the traditional dark for home, light for away? I see many examples of this not occurring in recent years. But I certainly have bigger things to worry about!

Whatever happened to the traditional dark for home, light for away? I see many examples of this not occurring in recent years. But I certainly have bigger things to worry about!
Some teams have white home uniforms. The Dallas Cowboys come to mind immediately.

...And for past few years, one never knows what uniform some teams will show up wearing next. It used to be most major league sports teams had maybe 3 different jersey variations to wear in a given season. Now in addition to their standard uniform designs and colors, they have throwback uniforms, uniforms to wear during XYZ aweness month, camouflage designs for military appreciation night, special uniforms for various events and even games when the players can have any name or whatever slogan they want printed on the back of their jerseys. Anymore, it seems the combinations are nearly endless.

...And for past few years, one never knows what uniform some teams will show up wearing next. It used to be most major league sports teams had maybe 3 different jersey variations to wear in a given season. Now in addition to their standard uniform designs and colors, they have throwback uniforms, uniforms to wear during XYZ aweness month, camouflage designs for military appreciation night, special uniforms for various events and even games when the players can have any name or whatever slogan they want printed on the back of their jerseys. Anymore, it seems the combinations are nearly endless.
That's because the teams want to sell different uniforms to collectors. And more of them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom