• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does Anyone Think It Is Fair

wnih-wayne

Inactive
Inactive User
To charge a station 50-100 G's just to do engineering studies....I mean hell if they want to keep that close an eye on FM and AM stations, I don't think it is worth it at all, I think everyone should stop broadcast and protest the FCC for this, but this is my opinion....if anyone agrees with me, or disagrees, please post your comments....

I would be interested in hearing what some of the long-term and long-time broadcasters have to say about this....

Wayne

I didn't think the FCC charged this, the engineer doing the study gets the money and that's the going rate. What better way do you have to make sure no one interferes with each other. Turning on a radio and saying "I don't hear anything" doesn't count.

Actually, I don't have a better rate...but what if I just hired an engineer as part of the staff and paid him a normal salary, would that be better or worse....

I have a friend I could get in contact with, and he might be able to help me, but I am not sure.....

Wayne

wnih-wayne said:
Actually, I don't have a better rate...but what if I just hired an engineer as part of the staff and paid him a normal salary, would that be better or worse....

I have a friend I could get in contact with, and he might be able to help me, but I am not sure.....

Wayne

Most station engineers are not qualified to do what you're asking. Allocation studies, predictions of coverage and population are highly specialized areas of broadcast engineering, there aren't that many engineers who know how to do such things, and those who do know how earn top dollar (there's that little annoyance known as supply and demand). Given the normally competitive demand for licenses and the high prices paid for them at auctions, it's worth paying the bucks to not get your application returned for mistakes in the engineering section of the forms.

Having gone through this a few times, I can tell you its worth the big money.

Not only for the engineer, but also for the "Washington Attorney." A good one can slide you right through the commission.

The engineer must be specially qualified. I've always used Munn-Reese in Coldwater, Michigan and never been disappointed. "Consulting Engineers" have a reputation and a "trust factor" with uncle. Many are listed in the "Broadcasting Yearbook."

Carl Smith & Associates in Ohio are top-notch too. They've been around seemingly forever.

It's NOT fair - it's business. Brokers make LOTS of money on dumb people who want to PLAY radio. When you are in THIS biz, you must play with "deep pockets." Would you go to Las Vegas under funded? Same story here.

The guys that I know who played with "smoke and mirrors" either died (2 sad stories) or went belly-up (a dummy).

I began in the mid 70's and it was bad - but not THIS bad. There were 4 stations involved.

Along the way, we found 3 more frequencies, turned chicken, and made a ton selling construction permits, including 1 in the Chicago area. Then we sold a few stations through a broker. Uncle showed up at 8am on a rainy Saturday to collect his share.

If you don't want to start one from scratch, and have the energy, you can buy a dog and turn it around. Lots of 16 hour days. Find a broker or make your own inquiries. A broker takes a large percentage, but he may be worth it, too. I had a bad experience and a few good experiences with them. Good luck.

Thanks guys...well as stated in another post, i have had to put radio on the backburner for now b/c of a fulltime retail job i have assumed at a cigar / retail store where i live at, but i never go a day w/o thinking about it....

I hope someday to find an on-air job somewhere...hell if i have to move out of state, I will....b/c I don't exactly find retail to be what I want to do the rest of my life

Wayne

So I realize I'm a little slow on this one, but we aren't ALL bad, tjthedj :) Some of us Brokers are actually hard-working small-market owners, ourselves. However, I AM sorry that you've had some negative experiences with brokers. Some of them are bottom-feeders.

I never said ALL brokers are bad. Actually, (except for the "crook" with a big name) I would recommend a broker, if in the market. It could make the deal.

I bet you could agree with my second sentence. I know a few people who "play" radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom