• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does anyone automate with Zara Radio here?

Hi all,
I downloaded Zara Radio a few months ago and have been playing with it off and on over the past few months. I've been able to find answers to some of my questions, but would like some help on a couple others.
1. The manual indicates that after a file in a playlist is played, it can be deleted automatically, but I can't access this. Is there some way to access this with the keyboard?
2. I can only access shuffle and repeat in playlist modes. How do I access the other modes?
3. I can't seem to do anything with events, can anyone help me with that?
4. I notice Zara can use bat or exe files, can any of the things I'm asking about be done at the command line, and what would be the commands to use?

Sorry you've gone almost an entire year without getting your questions answered. Hopefully you've joined at least one group that discusses Zara, and that all of your questions have been answered.

Hi Greg,
No, I can't seem to find any other resources about it, then again I haven't looked all that hard. I've tried writing them through the contact form on their website, but those emails go unanswered, and it looks like their community support forums have been taken down.

Hi Greg,
No, I can't seem to find any other resources about it, then again I haven't looked all that hard. I've tried writing them through the contact form on their website, but those emails go unanswered, and it looks like their community support forums have been taken down.
I'm holding out hope that you'll get the answers you need. Hopefully someone on here can respond.

Hi all,
I downloaded Zara Radio a few months ago and have been playing with it off and on over the past few months. I've been able to find answers to some of my questions, but would like some help on a couple others.
1. The manual indicates that after a file in a playlist is played, it can be deleted automatically, but I can't access this. Is there some way to access this with the keyboard?
2. I can only access shuffle and repeat in playlist modes. How do I access the other modes?
3. I can't seem to do anything with events, can anyone help me with that?
4. I notice Zara can use bat or exe files, can any of the things I'm asking about be done at the command line, and what would be the commands to use?
I just saw this. Our station Rochester Free Radio WRFZ has been using Zara for the last five years. First the free edition, then the paid version. Don't get the paid version! No support what so ever. We have had a lot of failures with Zara and in the process of replacing it with another system. I'll keep the free version of Zara on my personal equipment it does what I need it to do but would not recommend the pro version.

I've worked with Zara Radio for 4 years of my life... It's a good system for live-programming on assist mode. for auto it's not very good. It's like a Winamp with automatic scheduling, I would go with RadioDJ. Way more robust system and works relatively well over network due to the MariaDB integration.

I've got RadioBOSS. It does a great job and doesn't cost that much.
I used Zara free edition for quite some time but on three occasions it corrupted the computer, requiring me to re-load Windows.
RadioBOSS has been very stable for a few years and, additionally, there is a Stereo Tool plugin for processing. It's a winner!

I'm not sure Radio DJ is accessible, and I know it requires a database. I've gotten a message back from an HD to translator station in Olympia, and I've heard that station. The guy who runs it is making it do some pretty interesting things. I'll have to ask someone I know who writes iTunes scripts if he can write a script for Zara to put things into a playlist that then can be loaded into the automation. That would solve the problem of not being able to talk about the music you're playing. That's one of the big issues I have with running Zara in a station that actually has hosts. I don't have said script because for what I need I can just hand program things, but would really like to be able to run a station long term while knowing what's coming up.

I've got RadioBOSS. It does a great job and doesn't cost that much.
I used Zara free edition for quite some time but on three occasions it corrupted the computer, requiring me to re-load Windows.
RadioBOSS has been very stable for a few years and, additionally, there is a Stereo Tool plugin for processing. It's a winner!
Which edition are you running? Do you have a link to a streaming site that is using it? Also, do you subscribe to the updates?

I use Radio DJ as a backup. I found that stability can be an issue depending on the version and the operating system. Great interface. Probably just me since I'm not an IT expert.

Our main automation system is Digital Jukebox (DJB). Certainly not free but not the most expensive either. The automation system is used 24/7 with daily interface so probably a good item not to go cheap with. Very stable, very capable, and great support. We also use it with their RadioSpider FTP program for program injest.

I also evaluated stationplaylist.com several years ago. Very stable, easy to use, not fancy. Only a few hundred dollars buyout. Would be good for a simple station setup.

Which edition are you running? Do you have a link to a streaming site that is using it? Also, do you subscribe to the updates?
I'm using RadioBOSS version 5.8.5.2 which is a couple of years old. I do not subscribe to the updates because the software does exactly what I want it to do and it does it flawlessly. A couple of radio pros have heard my stream and have commented that the music flow is really good.
My stream is private ... primarily for me and my family. I will send you an email with more information.

Keep in mind that Zara was made for Vista. It works well with that antique version of Windows. It tends to crash on Windows 7. It works very well with Windows 10 too. But if you use it on Windows 10 make sure you control the Microsoft updates for Windows 10, Otherwise you will wake up in the morning to dead air.''

I think Zara is about the easiest to learn of the automation systems and with a little tech knowledge, you can make it do what you want.

Keep in mind that Zara was made for Vista. It works well with that antique version of Windows. It tends to crash on Windows 7. It works very well with Windows 10 too. But if you use it on Windows 10 make sure you control the Microsoft updates for Windows 10, Otherwise you will wake up in the morning to dead air.''

I think Zara is about the easiest to learn of the automation systems and with a little tech knowledge, you can make it do what you want.
I ran Zara on XP with no issues. Ive used it on Win7 and 10 as well with no problems

Has anyone used Zara from the command line? It looks like it can run batch files, but I would have no clue how to write one to make Zara do anything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom