• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disney to spin off home entertainment/physical media properties to Sony

It's probably been at least 7 or 8 years since I've bought or rented anything on DVD. At least 5 or 6 years since I've played a DVD or "physical media". For me, most everything is streamed or downloaded or file transferred. Indeed, it doesn't look like this represents much of Disney's business, which is probably why they outsourced it to Sony. From the article in the OP:
Whatever the reasoning, physical disc sales have long been in decline — and they show no signs of rebounding amid the industry’s streaming boom. Revenue for physical media in the U.S. dropped 28%, to $754 million, in the first half of 2023, compared with $1.05 billion in the prior year, according to data from trade association DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group. It’s projected that 2024 will be the first year revenue drops below one million dollars.
As a result, Best Buy discontinued sales of DVDs and Blu-ray discs in the store and online in early 2024. The move followed Netflix’s decision last September to shutter its DVD-by-mail service.

Interesting to see Sony getting the distribution rights to some of the Disney library via the former "Disney Home Video" division. But then again Disney is in the middle of pushing more viewers over to their owned and operated TV apps.

Do DVDs still offer extras (e.g. outtakes, narration by stars or directors, alternate endings, “making of” mini documentaries) that are not available elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom