• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dickey Betts of Allman Brothers Band

Dickey Betts, a co-founder, guitarist, occasional vocalist of the Allman Brothers Band has died at age 80:

RIP. Ramblin’ Man is the first song I remember liking. Also, I always have liked Dickey’s melodic guitar lines more than I like Duane’s soaring guitar work. He also was a pretty good singer.

Dickey wrote and did the lead vocals on "Ramblin' Man"... The Allman Brothers first and only top 10 single, peaking at number two on the Billboard Hot 100, in 1973.

Last edited:
His guitar work on "Jessica" was sublime. I could list many other great tunes he wrote. Over the years he had a falling out with the other members, but his contributions to the Allman Brothers were highly significant. RIP...

People magazine reported on reaction from the Allman Brothers Band:

All but one of the original members have died.

"Betts joins his brothers, Duane Allman, Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks and Gregg Allman, as well as ABB crew, members Twiggs Lyndon, Joe Dan Petty, Red Dog, Kim Payne and Mike Callahan in that old Winnebago in the sky touring the world taking their music to all who will listen," they added.

The lone survivor is 79 year old drummer Jai Johanny "Jaimoe" Johanson.

Their music was fantastic, especially 'Ramblin Man'. Say hi to Gregg and the others for us. May he RIP.

Back
Top Bottom