• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Debella Gets a New Punching Bag!

D

davidfierce

From Radio and Records...WMGK/Philadelphia PD Cruze hires Brian Carothers as the new Exec. Producer of the John DeBella Show. Carothers exits as producer of the WJFK-FM/Washington-based Ron & Fez program to take the Philly gig, and he starts his new role on June 13.

Its funny. I was listening to Ron and Fez the night this kid announced on the show he was leaving to work with Debella and boy did he get abused by callers and Ron and Fez. Apparently, John Debella is not a very nice guy to work for.

Is Debella still a jerk after all these years? I knew someone who interened for him back during the morning zoo days and he said the guy was pretty out of control with his staff. You would think he would have cooled out by now...especially after everything that happened with Howard.

> From Radio and Records...WMGK/Philadelphia PD Cruze hires
> Brian Carothers as the new Exec. Producer of the John
> DeBella Show. Carothers exits as producer of the
> WJFK-FM/Washington-based Ron & Fez program to take the
> Philly gig, and he starts his new role on June 13.
>
> Its funny. I was listening to Ron and Fez the night this
> kid announced on the show he was leaving to work with
> Debella and boy did he get abused by callers and Ron and
> Fez. Apparently, John Debella is not a very nice guy to
> work for.
>
> Is Debella still a jerk after all these years? I knew
> someone who interened for him back during the morning zoo
> days and he said the guy was pretty out of control with his
> staff. You would think he would have cooled out by
> now...especially after everything that happened with Howard.
>

From my understanding he has mellowed out.
I know a few books back he was Number 3 in the morning behind Stern
I would sense since a new producer was brought in his ratings have dropped off.
I do listen on occassion and to be truthfull I do not like his interaction with his female sidekick...to female driven

> I do listen on occassion and to be truthfull I do not like
> his interaction with his female sidekick...to female driven
>
I agree. It's hard to take the "John and Jen Show" Talk about no chemistry whatsoever. I only tune in anymore for Breakfast with the Beatles and he plays the same Beatles songs over and over and just mixes them up over the course of the week. He needs to start thinking out of the box again and get rid of nambsy-pambsy Jen because if I want to listen to adolescent bickering, I'll listen to my kids.

>
> work for.
>
>

Does this mean "Thud" is leaving?

>
> work for.
>

I read a lot of speculation on this board....The TRUTH is that Debella is a GREAT guy! He is quick and funny and he's a generous person to work with as well. Thud will continue to work for John. Ask him! He will tell you that he would do anything to help out John and the show. A lot of us have put in MANY years in this business and in Philadelphia. And a lot of us who have endured are actually nice people too! And while I'm on here, let me go on record as saying that I've worked for Greater Media for 11 years now and they are a terrific company to work for. In fact, the best that I've worked for in my almost 30 year radio career.
>

>

The issue you raised is: is DeBella hard to work with and for? Answer: probably both.

However he is likely no more difficult than a Stern, Mancow, Imus or any other high-profile jock whose name is on each franchise. They are demanding, exacting, explosive, petty and intense. You would be too if your future employment and income depended on getting the best out of each member of the show. I'd be surprised if he were a nice guy while in-studio; at a party or social situation, I bet he's the friendliest schmoozer in the room.

If the new producer is a vet and pro, he already knows what it takes to keep Mr. DeBella happy: a show that is smooth, runs like clockwork, is on-track and has a spirit all its own.

If John wants to fume, rant and rampage through the studio while the show is on, cut him some slack, please. It's only because he gives a damn. Look at what's riding on the outcome.

Debbi,

In all fairness, alot of the speculation about DeBella is rooted in truth. He had a reputation for being a world class a-hole back when everything was going his way. I listened to Howard the morning he and DeBella came face to face in the K-Rock studio. The parade of former co-workers were not too kind to DeBella, and he didn't really have much to say in his own defense. The gentle man you responded to was only inquiring based on John's previous reputation as the Zoo Keeper. His query was fair and you took it a little too much to heart. Why do you people in radio feel that your's is the only industry that should be shielded from criticism? Surely you must have known what you were in for 5 or 6 years into the biz. We all know, regardless of the field, the customer rarely praises, but is quick to criticize. I used to be critical of your station, in private e-mail's to you. And what did it get me? You stopped honoring my nugget request's. Not even a short I'll see what I can do. The fact of the matter is, is that Greater Media took a classical radio station, which they voluntarily paid too much for, and wiped it off of the face of Philly radio. And haven't had a winner at 95.7 since. What is 95.7 on now? It's 6th format in 8 years? Is it no wonder people make a mockery of your company. But you know what, I listen to DeBella occasionally, and he does seem to be a kinder, more gentler John. I understand his striving for perfection. After all, your only as good as your last book. Correct? I have also enjoyed his segment's on the 10 show each Thursday morning. As a matter of fact, I no longer listen to Stern. Too much Bush bashing, opting for O&A on XM. In closing, I have always enjoyed you over the year's. There must be a reason for your longevity. Try to be a little more understanding when people are critical of radio. We listeners are the one's who make or break you. People make their favorite radio station a very personal thing. The least you in the business can do, is too reward our loyalty with a little more patience and understanding. After listening all of these years, I've found a lot more to dislike about commercial radio these day's than ever before. Thank God for XM, where would I be without it. Take care and I hope you last another 30 years in the biz.

Bill
>
> I read a lot of speculation on this board....The TRUTH is
> that Debella is a GREAT guy! He is quick and funny and he's
> a generous person to work with as well. Thud will continue
> to work for John. Ask him! He will tell you that he would do
> anything to help out John and the show. A lot of us have put
> in MANY years in this business and in Philadelphia. And a
> lot of us who have endured are actually nice people too! And
> while I'm on here, let me go on record as saying that I've
> worked for Greater Media for 11 years now and they are a
> terrific company to work for. In fact, the best that I've
> worked for in my almost 30 year radio career.
> >
>
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by saund3461 on 06/04/05 01:54 AM.</FONT></P>

> I read a lot of speculation on this board....The TRUTH is
> that Debella is a GREAT guy! He is quick and funny and he's
> a generous person to work with as well. Thud will continue
> to work for John. Ask him! He will tell you that he would do
> anything to help out John and the show. A lot of us have put
> in MANY years in this business and in Philadelphia. And a
> lot of us who have endured are actually nice people too! And
> while I'm on here, let me go on record as saying that I've
> worked for Greater Media for 11 years now and they are a
> terrific company to work for. In fact, the best that I've
> worked for in my almost 30 year radio career.

I have listened to a nice chunk of your 30 years on radio - you are classy and fun to listen to, and seem to have the same enthusiasm for the job today as when I heard you for the first time. Thanks!

wil

> > From Radio and Records...WMGK/Philadelphia PD Cruze hires
> > Brian Carothers as the new Exec. Producer of the John
> > DeBella Show. Carothers exits as producer of the
> > WJFK-FM/Washington-based Ron & Fez program to take the
> > Philly gig, and he starts his new role on June 13.
> >
> > Its funny. I was listening to Ron and Fez the night this
> > kid announced on the show he was leaving to work with
> > Debella and boy did he get abused by callers and Ron and
> > Fez. Apparently, John Debella is not a very nice guy to
> > work for.
> >
> > Is Debella still a jerk after all these years? I knew
> > someone who interened for him back during the morning zoo
> > days and he said the guy was pretty out of control with
> his
> > staff. You would think he would have cooled out by
> > now...especially after everything that happened with
> Howard.
> >
>
> From my understanding he has mellowed out.
> I know a few books back he was Number 3 in the morning
> behind Stern
> I would sense since a new producer was brought in his
> ratings have dropped off.
> I do listen on occassion and to be truthfull I do not like
> his interaction with his female sidekick...to female driven
>

I believe his last book he was in 11th or 12th place in the morning. And I believe you are right, I imagine Greater Media is demanding more from the show by bringing in a new producer. To be honest, when I'm in Philly, I don't get it. It doesn't sound like much of a morning radio show at all. Also, I heard from a friend in the "biz" who use to program a station that is or has had recently employed (I want to protect this guy) John Debella say that he is still out of control and cruel to the people he works around. It's a shame. I always kind of was routing for him after Stern had the funeral. Oh well, you reap what you sow. And, If Debella doesn't pull up his morning numbers on WMGK and give Debbi Calton more of lead-in for middays, Greater Media will have no choice to bounce him from the station. Perhaps they already have someone in the wings ready, willing and able to take the job...Can anyone say Pierre?

And, If
> Debella doesn't pull up his morning numbers on WMGK and give
> Debbi Calton more of lead-in for middays, Greater Media will
> have no choice to bounce him from the station. Perhaps they
> already have someone in the wings ready, willing and able to
> take the job...Can anyone say Pierre?
>

That's why the fish on the Greater Media corporate seal is a flounder.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom