• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dallas's King of Hot Talk

C

Capt_Stoobing

There are very few Hot Talkers that have the ratings, hitory, and listener loyalty as Dallas's Russ Martin heard afternoon drive on Live 105.3 in Dallas. With Stern departure terrestrial Hot Talk is in need of a new King and Russ is a strong contender to fill some holes in the world of Hot Talk.
-The Captain-

Hey there, "Captain"

Russ isn't even the best in Dallas. There are about 8 hosts on 1310 that kick his butt. They just happen to couch it as "sports" talk. It is anything but. I recomend that anyone who enjoys hot talk check them out, www.theticket.com. It is like all hot talk, you have to give it time to really get it.
As for Russ, take him out of Dallas and he HAS and will fail.

> Hey there, "Captain"
>
> Russ isn't even the best in Dallas. There are about 8 hosts
> on 1310 that kick his butt. They just happen to couch it as
> "sports" talk. It is anything but. I recomend that anyone
> who enjoys hot talk check them out, www.theticket.com. It
> is like all hot talk, you have to give it time to really get
> it.
> As for Russ, take him out of Dallas and he HAS and will
> fail.

Astonishingly, you are correct and no one seems to heed this advice. Local talkers who start to pickup instantly try to capitalize on their lifelong goal of syndication. Those who can't take job offers from often mediocre stations in Chicago, LA, etc. Look at most resumes of guys with a lot of radio experience and you'll see an increase from Cedar Rapids to Des Moines to Indianapolis to Cleveland to Chicago to LA, then back to Des Moines. It doesn't last, and, I think you're right, Russ Martin is one of many who should never move, because that station in that city is the only place people are programmed to care about him.

Wow D-I-B that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard on this board. I listen to the Ticket and I do like some of their shows. But if I want sports I got to ESPN and if I want entertainment i listen to Russ and Live. Now just to correct you on a few points. Russ has been on-air in Dallas for 25 years, he replaced Stern on the Eagle and in little time He went to #1 and stayed there. Then He moved to mornings on Live where he again went to #1 until Stern took over mornings on Live. At which Russ moved to Afternoon drive at Live and yes once again went to #1 and has been #1 for the past 4 years. He did have a brief syndication sting in Austin, but he pulled the show on account the station wasn't olding up their part, yet when the rating came out they were up 400% in one month. So I just don't see where Russ has failed. Maybe he isn't the next Stern but He is a hell of a Radio personality. Put your personal feeling aside and respect what the man has done in Dallas radio.
- The Captain -

> Wow D-I-B that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard
> on this board.

That is quite the dubious honor. I will just say that I like the style of the ticket better than 105.3 and I don't think Russ will get big in any other large market. That doesn't at all discount his success over the years in Dallas. I can remember when he an dKidd first started. I was in diapers, but loved radio even back then, really. Anyhow, Russ is a talent, but not much syndication comes out of Texas. Most is east coast style, even if it is out of LA. I do listen to Russ, but if I had one station in Dallas, it would be the Ticket. I have been listening for the last hour and haven't heard ANY sports outside of the tickers.
And ESPN's local is crap. Randy Galloway??? Not for me, thanks - unless I want to hear a trainwreck. And the national is/was headed up by the ticket's former PD, Bruce Gilbert. That should say something.

Just batting it all around.

D-I-B, I'm going to have to disagree. I'm in Louisiana, and love listening to Russ. I admit, I was turned onto Russ from the sometimes heated discussions about him on the Dallas board. But, when I turned it on to see for myself...I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't laughed that hard in a while. I can say firmly, if Russ was syndicated in my market, I'd be a P1.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom