• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cox Media Group selling stations in 12 markets

It would've been ideal for Cox to sell KYMA in Yuma, AZ to Standard General/TEGNA to create a statewide network of stations in Arizona with KPNX (12 News) Phoenix, & KMSB (FOX 11) & KTTU (My 18) in Tucson.

It would've been ideal for Cox to sell KYMA in Yuma, AZ to Standard General/TEGNA to create a statewide network of stations in Arizona with KPNX (12 News) Phoenix, & KMSB (FOX 11) & KTTU (My 18) in Tucson.

Except KMSB/KTTU is more managed by Gray Television. It would make more sense if Cox sold KYMA to Gray Television to create a KTVK/KPHO-KOLD/KMSB/KTTU-KYMA stylized network.

So for clarification, CMG is keeping these markets:

Atlanta WSB
Jacksonville WFOX WJAX
Orlando WFTV WRDQ
Charlotte WSOC WAXN
Dayton WHIO
Pittsburgh WPXI
Seattle KIRO
Spokane KAYU

As part of the Standard General/TEGNA deal involving CMG, Cox will add these markets:

Dallas-Fort Worth WFAA KMPX
Houston KHOU KTBU
Austin KVUE

CMG is also spinning off Boston WFXT to a yet to be named entity under Standard General.

So it looks like CMG is clearing out small market inventory.

The INSP cable channel that is buying the CMG stations was formerly The Inspiration Network, which in turn was originally the PTL Television Network—yes, Jim Bakker’s creation.

What about Klsr/kevu Eugene? I know cox is buying this tv station. Will cox keep this or will they sell to insp group?

What about Klsr/kevu Eugene? I know cox is buying this tv station. Will cox keep this or will they sell to insp group?
There are also four small market stations Cox is supposed to acquire directly from Standard General, but I strongly suspect those will be quickly flipped to new owners.

Ditto with KREM/KAYU

Except KMSB/KTTU is more managed by Gray Television. It would make more sense if Cox sold KYMA to Gray Television to create a KTVK/KPHO-KOLD/KMSB/KTTU-KYMA stylized network.
What would make better sense would be instead of doing all this wheeling & dealing, Cox should only sell ONE station to Disney/ABC --WFTV 9 as you know they'd LOVE to have them as as an O&O

just my opinion though

I think it is more likely ABC divests some O&Os than buys one. Disney currently only holds 9 full-power broadcast licenses (1 AM, 8 TV) in the US, a number that has been steadily shrinking over the last several years.

I think it is more likely ABC divests some O&Os than buys one. Disney currently only holds 9 full-power broadcast licenses (1 AM, 8 TV) in the US, a number that has been steadily shrinking over the last several years.
Disney could swap with Cox KFSN & WTVD to get WFTV & (Maybe) WJXX

I say MAYBE when it comes to WJXX in Jacksonville because they have an option there (Providing Graham Media is willing to entertain it)

That would be to sign an affiliation agreement with WJXT

But no matter what Cox does, they're not going to be able to hang on to the WTLV/WJXX duuo AND the FOX 30/CBS 47 duo as that would be a monopoly no matter how you cut it

MY bet is they KEEP the former & SELL the latter

But if Disney snaps up WJXX (Thus splitting it from WTLV beyond a short term news partnership with WTLV), well then, Cox could either sell WTLV as a standalone NBC affiliate (Conceivable) & keep FOX 30/CBS 47 or do the opposite (KEEP WTLV as a standalone NBC affiliate & SELL FOX 30/CBS 47)

Thoughts??

What would make better sense would be instead of doing all this wheeling & dealing, Cox should only sell ONE station to Disney/ABC --WFTV 9 as you know they'd LOVE to have them as as an O&O

just my opinion though
Considering what's going on in Florida with Disney right now, probably a good thing they don't currently own or have any ambitions to own stations in the Sunshine State.

So for clarification, CMG is keeping these markets:

Atlanta WSB
Jacksonville WFOX WJAX
Orlando WFTV WRDQ
Charlotte WSOC WAXN
Dayton WHIO
Pittsburgh WPXI
Seattle KIRO
Spokane KAYU

As part of the Standard General/TEGNA deal involving CMG, Cox will add these markets:

Dallas-Fort Worth WFAA KMPX
Houston KHOU KTBU
Austin KVUE

CMG is also spinning off Boston WFXT to a yet to be named entity under Standard General.

So it looks like CMG is clearing out small market inventory.

The INSP cable channel that is buying the CMG stations was formerly The Inspiration Network, which in turn was originally the PTL Television Network—yes, Jim Bakker’s creation.
If they ever let go of Dayton, I might need smelling salts to revive me from the shock.

Considering what's going on in Florida with Disney right now, probably a good thing they don't currently own or have any ambitions to own stations in the Sunshine State.
You know you just CONTRADICTED yourself, right?? 🤣😂

That said, you're right. I don't think I know of ANYONE who would want to invest in a media outlet in Florida now

But then again, that's EXACTLY what certain people want

If they ever let go of Dayton, I might need smelling salts to revive me from the shock.
WHIO 7 (CBS) would be A GREAT compliment for Scripps since they're on a buying spree & they own ABC affiliate WCPO 9 in Cincinnati

But since there's no conflict, it's doubtful WHIO will be sold anyway

WHIO 7 (CBS) would be A GREAT compliment for Scripps since they're on a buying spree & they own ABC affiliate WCPO 9 in Cincinnati

But since there's no conflict, it's doubtful WHIO will be sold anyway
I’m not sure if Scripps wants to enter Dayton, plus WHIO is one of CBS’ strongest affiliates. Then there’s Sinclair and they’ll want something out of this, like a affiliation swap or something.

Here is more on Cox Deal.

Cox Media Group said Tuesday that it closed separate transactions for the acquisitions of KLSR (Fox) and KEVU (My Network TV), two Eugene, Ore., television stations previously owned by California Oregon Broadcasting Inc. (COBI). The combined price was $7,222,000.

“We look forward to combining our rich legacies as we work together to improve lives and elevate our communities,” said Dan York, CEO of CMG. “Both stations have outstanding talent and have been exceptionally managed. They’re well-positioned to increase our competitiveness as we evolve our television footprint, drive revenue, and grow our ratings.”

COBI owned KLSR since 1993.

If WFXT goes to Standard General will the bring back the Saturday 10pm News and trim the morning news to 8 or 9am from 10am weekdays?

Update Tegna inc deal with standard media continues. Note this will be completed in the 2nd half of 2022 if approved.

Tysons, Va. – TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) announced that at a special meeting of shareholders held earlier today, its shareholders voted to adopt the Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of February 22, 2022 (as amended, the “Merger Agreement”), pursuant to which TEGNA will be acquired by an affiliate of Standard General L.P (“Standard General”).

According to the preliminary results announced at the special meeting, subject to certification by the independent Inspector of Election, approximately 78% of TEGNA’s outstanding common shares voted to adopt the Merger Agreement. Certified results will be filed on a Current Report on Form 8-K with the Securities and Exchange Commission and posted on TEGNA’s investor website, investors.tegna.com.

The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2022, subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. Upon closing, TEGNA will become a private company, and its shares will no longer be traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom