• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Contests with Text Messaging?

R

retiredradiodude

I heard about a service called "Hip Cricket" that allows radio stations to do contests with listeners usind Text Messaging. Does anyone know about this? The good and the bad?

One of the stations in our cluster uses Hip Cricket. It seems like an easy to use program, but it doesn't work with all wireless carriers. I think they are working with that, but it doesn't work with the biggest mobile service carrier in our market so we get much negative feedback from listeners.

There are many text providers out there. Hip Cricket is one of the newer ones. You may want to check out dLoad.com -- they are based in Australia, but have a US division. You name it, they can do it -- including website implementation. For example, if you do a nightly "bump it or dump it" type feature, you have people text in their votes, and the dLoad software can export a pie graph to a page on your website so people can see the live results. Using text to drive website traffic -- brilliant! Again, many services out there offer this, but I'm personally familiar with dLoad. If you want their US rep contact info, drop me a message.

retiredradiodude said:
I heard about a service called "Hip Cricket" that allows radio stations to do contests with listeners usind Text Messaging. Does anyone know about this? The good and the bad?

We just started using Hip Cricket. Very easy to use for the on-air staff and our promotions director for setting things up.

Our sales team has already closed one deal and sold a text promotion to a client. Two other packages have been presented to clients (McDonalds and a Night Club).

Currently US Cellular does not support text messaging to five digit short codes and neither does Cricket (no affiliation with Hip Cricket).

Our audience seems to love the interaction. We even did contesting via text at a movie screening to give away station T-Shirts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom