• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CNN New Years Coverage

B

bostonmusicman

Anderson Cooper and some of his cronies from AC 360 covered it on CNN. I thought it would be boring and stuff but it was really cool. I had to flip from Dick Clark, the man is a legend but I could not ring the new year in with him, it was too sad. Anderson did a great job and was cracking jokes all night, might've been sampling the beverages! Kyra Phillips was down in the crowd and people were jumping all over her and spilling champagne on her and all Anderson did was laugh and say "Ok It looks like you have the makings of a Girls Gone Wild Commerical down there!" I wouldn't except that from CNN but Anderson delievered as did his correspondents. Anybody else see it? Thoughts?

I saw it and was flipping through the other networks as well. It was well done. I didn't see CNN at Midnight Eastern but did see CNN at Midnight Central time. The audio was messed up. There were three screens being cycled through and the audio was being pulled from all three. Very unique but a bit of a cacophony. Of course you had at least one reporter in a live location talking, and the Mariachi music from San Antonio blaring over fireworks from all three locations. And the tribute to James Brown was very appropriate using live footage from his live performance on CNN the year prior.

I saw it too and I thought they had better music performances (live or dead) than NBC, FOX, and ABC. On my DIRECtv listings, it said repeats were airing, so I almost didn't check it. Was it a last minute idea?

I saw promos to join Anderson Cooper for a Times Square Party @ 11 pm... My DirecTV listed that from 11-Midnight and that had re runs of Larry King Live and CNN Live but Cooper stayed on til a little after 1 and then an AC 360 was put on which was a repeat. There were some good performances and they went silent to allow viewers to take in what NYC was like when the ball dropped. ABC had talking from Dick Clark and Seacrest.. my local NBC (WHDH) was running local news and my local CBS (WBZ) was running Boston's celebrations while checking in with NYC. I can't stand to watch Fox. I've been turning to CNN lately... even on Ford's Death and Saddam's hanging.. Anderson Cooper is a great newsman and a funny guy to watch.

marko83 said:
I saw it too and I thought they had better music performances (live or dead) than NBC, FOX, and ABC. On my DIRECtv listings, it said repeats were airing, so I almost didn't check it. Was it a last minute idea?

The IPG on my cable showed CNN's normal Sunday lineup.

This is the third year CNN has been doing it. It had been planned for a while.

My issue is the ticker. If CNN can take it down for documentaries and funerals (as they did on Saturday for both James Brown and President Ford), why could they have not taken it down for this?

I arrived home at 2:50am. And while I don't usually watch Fox News. They were covering New Years Eve
from Las Vegas (live). While I don't recall the names of the hosts. You could tell they've had some form of
holiday beverage. When 3am arrived. They got out the champagne. And did their best to keep it out of the shot.
The bottles that is.

Brian Donegan said:
Yeah I was listening via Sirius and was impressed that they covered Las Vegas.

I was very much impressed with CNN's coverage.
Has CNN done this before?

I'm just pissed that they were still doing repeats at 3AM ET, when the Pacific Time Zone was celebrating the new year, and did a brief cutaway to CNN International and that was it, when they did Central as much as Eastern. Which time zone has more people, the Pacific or Central? Yes, it's way too late on the East Coast, but Anderson can have New Year's Day off, or they can easily have a studio in Los Angeles.

F'in Fox News did the best job of covering the Pacific Time Zone with a brief live segment in a repeat of their Eastern Time celebrations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom