• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cleveland Radio Feb 24 Ratings

Remember in the mid 2000s, WERE even had a brokered midday block of standards music, which was scotched taped to the schedule after Salem reacquired 1420, flipped from standards to conservatalk, and dumped the WRMR call letters to reinstate the traditional WHK calls back from 1220.
Yes, I remember. Carl Reese was the DJ when it premiered, but unfortunately he had another stroke during the first week and was replaced by Jim Davis.

WERE is a joke. The company that owns it doesn't care at all about the station. The fact that it overdoses on Sharpton every day confirms it. Should not have left 1300 for 1490.
Agreed. 1490 with it's feeble 1 kW signal should probably go dark (no pun intended). Although it would be a shame to lose the legendary WERE call letters. Maybe they could be re-assigned to another Cleveland station.

Agreed. 1490 with it's feeble 1 kW signal should probably go dark (no pun intended). Although it would be a shame to lose the legendary WERE call letters. Maybe they could be re-assigned to another Cleveland station.
In a sense, WERE was lost when the calls were moved off of its longtime home of AM1300.

If I had to listen to AL "Media Hog" Sharpton , I'd poke out my eardrums and cut off my ears. That guy is like a reverse cockroach, sees bright TV lights and runs towards them as fast as he can.

If I had to listen to AL "Media Hog" Sharpton , I'd poke out my eardrums and cut off my ears. That guy is like a reverse cockroach, sees bright TV lights and runs towards them as fast as he can.
That's one of the problems with WERE running his show multiple times a day. He is unbearable to listen to all day. It appears the station has no other options or refuse to consider any alternatives. Not to mention the amount of local brokered programming continues to decline.

Then again, Urban One is more committed to WZAK, Praise 94.5 (even though it's really 1300), and Z107.9 than WERE.

Urban One wanted the WJMO gospel format on the stronger signal.

Even before Urban (then Radio) One bought the station, WERE was a land of misfit toys, loading up on brokered programming all through the week.

Remember in the mid 2000s, WERE even had a brokered midday block of standards music, which was scotched taped to the schedule after Salem reacquired 1420, flipped from standards to conservatalk, and dumped the WRMR call letters to reinstate the traditional WHK calls back from 1220.
I remember the standards block and loved it. They extended it at one time after dumping Bill O'Reilly's radio show.

The music programming ended when Ronnie Duncan and the syndicated talk shows showed up around 2005 or '06. Ronnie left shortly after the move to 1490. Basheer Jones took over until he left in 2010. It has simulcasted WZAK's morning show (Tom Joyner, then Rickey Smiley) since.

Back
Top Bottom