• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

cheap remote broadcasts

Our town is having a new years celebration at the park clock tower this year, Its first ever.. And we wanna know do any of you have any ideas, other than a cheap sounding cell phone, on how to set up a cheap remote broadcast from that location to our station to broadcast over the air..? I know it sounds bad IM asking for cheap, but with no marti, and no equipment to do so.. Just wondering.. We have our own ideas, but wanted your opnion?

Can you give us an idea of the distance involved? What are we talking here? If you are close enough you could use a license-free 900 MHz link. I would guess you'd need to be within a few hundred feet to make that work.

Another possibility is a local dial-up circuit. Are you close enough that you could run a cable to a real plug-in-the-wall phone? You'd be surprised how gooda local circuit can sound if you drive it with a decent quality mixer. When I used to do remotes for my college radio station we used a Shure M67 (and later an M267) and drove the handset from the transformer-coupled output. We would dial up the number, unscrew the transmitter side of the handset, and clip onto the connections. Of course a dry circuit would sound better, but that would cost you $$.

We use wireless wireless broadband card on a laptop at the location to access the internet then transmit to the studio via Skype.

the undork said:
We use wireless wireless broadband card on a laptop at the location to access the internet then transmit to the studio via Skype.

I like this idea! 4 years ago I did a live broadcast on an FM station, using a laptop, a program called AudioTX to get the audio there, and VNC to control the station's playout server. Worked like a champ. Don't monitor off the air, after your live from that location however, because there may be a delay to deal with.

I've also used a Tieline and a Comrex POTS codec with good results, too. Sometimes they pop up on Ebay at a reaonable priced.

the undork said:
We use wireless wireless broadband card ... then transmit to the studio via Skype.

That's exactly what we did to broadcast prep football games this season. Worked quite well - except for the one time when we were in one of those gaps in the "sticks" that our provider isn't servicing.

Net Delay: minimal. Not too bad. Good alternative to one of those Comrex Access units.

Small mixer wired into a laptop - stream onto ustream and play the stream on air at the station. Works great as long as you have internet access - can also use some of the good cell phones now to reliably access the internet.. A cell phone works too - and gives the live radio sound.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom