• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill Radio Ratings: December 2023

WNKS. Ouch. 96.1 is so much better now that they’re focusing on gold and recurrents. I hope it will reflect in their ratings.
Yes 96.1 was sinking and needed an adjustment. Better now. But too early to reflect in the ratings yet, I suppose.But indeed 95.1 dropped a bit as the CHR format is struggling. Perhaps due to the benefit of 107.9 which has improved. And looks like All Christmas may have boosted 104.7 which has risen to the top. But will it stay there into the new year?

It stays the same year after year. WKQC will do a slow gradual slide down in the ratings hitting their lowest just before the Christmas music starts, shoot to number 1 and repeat. It's not rocket science.

As for AC there is "New AC", "Hot AC" and "Old AC" stations that are "AC" have a tendency to bounce around these categories. It's likely based on the demographics they're chasing or who is in charge.

It stays the same year after year. WKQC will do a slow gradual slide down in the ratings hitting their lowest just before the Christmas music starts, shoot to number 1 and repeat. It's not rocket science.

As for AC there is "New AC", "Hot AC" and "Old AC" stations that are "AC" have a tendency to bounce around these categories. It's likely based on the demographics they're chasing or who is in charge.
That’s usually how it goes. It’ll pique December/Holiday book then slide the rest of the year. They were #1 for most of 2021 and 2022 after Jack Daniel took over for John Reynolds. Not sure what happened last year. Maybe John Reynolds is programming it again?

It seems like they’ve freshened up the music since Christmas ended. More 90s and even a couple of 2000s songs. Sounding a little better, but still all over the place. Think they’re having an identity crisis. I know the target used to be women 35-64.

I know the target used to be women 35-64.
Nobody targets 35-64. Maybe 35-54, but the tail end of what you mention is not salable in ratings based sales.

Local accounts pay less attention to ratings and more to results... but it is "results" that they consider to be "ratings".

Nobody targets 35-64. Maybe 35-54, but the tail end of what you mention is not salable in ratings based sales.

Local accounts pay less attention to ratings and more to results... but it is "results" that they consider to be "ratings".
I represented a client who bought ads on WKQC (and WSOC, WBAV) back in 2021. I went over all of the demographics and target audiences with the sales rep and GSM. They both said women 35-64 or the “soccer mom station” was WKQC’s target. I remember that conversation because I asked why they were targeting women when their playlist was very rock heavy which is the only male dominated music format. They struggled to answer some of those questions which is why I say they’re having an identity crisis. 35-64 is also what’s listed on their sales material, which I still have.

It makes sense that they would have an older target. Their playlist is very 70s and 80s heavy. If someone is 64 years old, they were born in 1960, and that’s at the top of the demo. Their PD is also in his mid to late 70s. Bob Lacey, their AMD host is in his 70s.

I’ve also worked with people who have bought spots on WBT, and their target is men 35-64. They’re the top billing station in the market. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom