• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cantore in the Morning...

elguapo

Inactive
Inactive User
is Dead Man Walking.

PD Phil Manning has been searching out new morning shows.

One show in particular from San Francsico was in there recently.

elguapo said:
is Dead Man Walking.

PD Phil Manning has been searching out new morning shows.

One show in particular from San Francsico was in there recently.

FRACK!

I hope this is just a lame rumor thread. That morning show is popular with 91X listeners. They put together a quality show. I dunno....kinda lets you know you are in San Diego when you hear them.

Hopefully it is just a stupid rumor.

Well, if you REALLY REALLY want to make 91Xh heritage again, bring back Russ T. Nailz!
(He went to Helix you know, and how do I know that?)

As I recall,
These are the morning shows that 91X has had since then:
Russ T. Nailz,
Burger and Prescott
Howard Stern
Chris Cantore

(I think Bruce Wayne and Big Wave Dave and
Bryan Jones may be in there somewhere too)

Interesting because I just heard a "rumor" that HE was leaving 91X! Can't say I blame him, how much Lincoln Park can a human being take? ;D

vonrollskyway1 said:
now thats a morning show ive allways liked burger and prescott.i wonder what they are doing these days??

Jeff Prescott retired after eight years as the KOGO morning news guy. He came from a family of means and as lived in the same home in the Bird Rock area of La Jolla for years and years so he apparently was in fact one of the few San Diego radio people who actually could retire from the business and not have to go work as a greeter at WalMart. Michael Berger is a voiceover actor: http://michaelberger.com/directory.html and has a page for the old B&P show here http://michaelberger.com/berger%26prescott.html

Which begs he question, did Prescott really need to retire, and coudln't B&P say, be reunited for the right offer? Seems like there's plenty of places in San Diego where they could do some damage...

Say, is somebody still kicking tires of Oldies?

WoohDog said:
Interesting because I just heard a "rumor" that HE was leaving 91X! Can't say I blame him, how much Lincoln Park can a human being take? ;D

Not true, I talked to Chris yesterday (Wednesday) and he really enjoys 91X

Garrett said:
Which begs he question, did Prescott really need to retire, and coudln't B&P say, be reunited for the right offer? Seems like there's plenty of places in San Diego where they could do some damage...

Say, is somebody still kicking tires of Oldies?

Berger discusses their efforts even this year to try to find something, but really where would they go? KGB is a one-trick-pony depending upon DSC to carry them and running some lightweight re-hash of rock oldies for a few hours in between DSC re-runs (how we miss JM in the PM).

I would say that B&P were actually the last incarnation of an act that first ran 35 years ago in San Diego when Brad Messer and Brent Seltzer did their two man irreverent look at the news during middays on KGB. As noted on Brad's website, "On occasion, the mid-day "Brad & Brent News and Comment" was the highest rated slot in San Diego radio." At some point Prescott became KGB's wise-cracking news guy in the tradition of B&B, and eventually he and Gabe Wisdom did the two-man news shtick as the "News Bros." Jeff and Gabe were very good, much, much better I think than B&P. Berger's a good announcer, but he never impressed me as having the wit to keep up rest of those guys. I remember going to work as morning news anchor for KGB-AM when it became KCNN. Prescott was the news director, which struck me a weird because he was really a comic newscaster in those days, very good at that, but a fish out of water as news director for an all news station. I recall that he didn't seem to have much to do with on a day to day basis and eventually they brought in the very strange John Mainelli as ND (he later went on to big time success in New York City).

I thought it was waste of talent to have Jeff doing KOGO news for all those years: it would have been much nicer to hear him on a morning show where his wit and wisdom (he's a very smart guy) could really be showcased.

By the way, I think DSC on KGB might also be considered a derivative of the "Brad & Brent News and Comment" tradition, but they have much less wit and wisdom than previous incarnations and are more of the low-brow class clowns who will do anything for a laugh.

I do miss the lack of good comic talent in the mornings (Monique on Jack is good but her cohorts are a drag). One of the sharpest minds in local radio is Linda Welby who is part of the US 95.7 morning show, but only in a supporting role. I'd love to hear her in a lead or solo role on a morning show. I worked with her at the Planet, which also wasted her talent.

Bob, you sound like a very interesting person with lots of experience. I'd be very interesting in hearing what station would sound like if you were the PD!

I remember meeting the flip-flopped Jim Cantore in an elevator at Hillcrest Village Square several years ago... He was one very nice and cool dude.

this could be the week

:mad: <strong>Stay Tuned</strong> :'(

he was not on the air friday "under the weather" lookin for new gig?????????

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom