• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bush signed the indecency bill

What ever happend to the idea that if you didn't like what your kids were seeing on tv and listening to on the radio you should be a parent and change the staion or turn it off?

What ever happened to the idea that professional broadcasters knew the rules and played by them?You might want to check out "FCC Policy Debate", where this topic has been beaten to death.

SirRoxalot said:
What ever happened to the idea that professional broadcasters knew the rules and played by them?

Whatever happened to having clearly defined rules so that broadcasters would know where the line is that they can't step over? Where is the proof that an accidentally bared breast, which was on the screen for less than two seconds, actually harmed anyone? Did we amend the First Amendment to read, "Congress shall insure that no person be offended by anything they see or hear," when I wasn't looking? Did we intentionally set out to be the laughing stock of the civilized world because we get our collective panties in a knot over a bared breast here or a "dirty" word there?

zman said:
What ever happend to the idea that if you didn't like what your kids were seeing on tv and listening to on the radio you should be a parent and change the staion or turn it off?

The idea went away decades ago when the public could no longer rely on broadcaster's self-restraint. Few would tolerate a deejay who constantly spewed Carlin's dirty words. So we have a rule against that. And therein begins the slippery slope of regulation.

zman said:

Apparently people are too lazy for that. You mean get up and turn it off? Heaven forbid that would require some sort of movement. Lets just bitch and complain so we wont have to. THERE IS YOUR ANSWER.

zman said:
I was hoping someone would say this most frequent asked question of broadcast indecency. Here's my reply: Many of us are no longer conpell to change the channel or turn off the appilance everytime someone spews out these comdemnable words. It would be like running away from a fight. It would like what our late 40th president said about giving into terrorist. It would like my father's dislike about the religous rule about turning the other cheek. And it would be lke my dislike about that religous rule about "bless those those who curse you". Need I say more?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom