• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Breaking: D.L. Hughley negotiating nat'l. radio show, could replace Skip Murphy

AlwaysAList.com and Radio Insight are both reporting that D.L. Hughley is in negotiations to host an afternoon drive radio show that could replace "Skip Murphy In the Afternoon".

Spitballing: For Cumulus and Reach Media to be going this route less than a year after Murphy's national debut must mean that the show's recent loss of the Atlanta clearance (from Radio One's WAMJ/WUMJ "Majic 107.5/97.5") was not necessarily isolated: The national traction of the show must be worse than the last days of The Michael Baisden Show it replaced. And Basiden's show had some big market losses also.

Whats makes them think DL Hughley can save Skip Murphy's decining audience? Lets just face it, Michael Baisden was a hard hit lost to Cumulus and now it's backfiring. The smaller markets and Cumulus owned Urban AC are the ones stuck with this mess. I wish companies would realize that the kings and queens of comedy days are over. Remember Monique's radio and tv show?

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Whats makes them think DL Hughley can save Skip Murphy's decining audience? Lets just face it, Michael Baisden was a hard hit lost to Cumulus and now it's backfiring. The smaller markets and Cumulus owned Urban AC are the ones stuck with this mess. I wish companies would realize that the kings and queens of comedy days are over. Remember Monique's radio and tv show?

Hughley's a much bigger name than Monique, who's Radio One show never extended to Cumulus stations [AFAIK]. As such, this would be a larger national rollout also.

(And if the "Kings of Comedy" group's run is done, somebody forgot to tell Cedric The Entertainer, new host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and star of TV Land's The Soul Man.)

Nate Wesley said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:

Hughley's a much bigger name than Monique, who's Radio One show never extended to Cumulus stations [AFAIK]. As such, this would be a larger national rollout also.

(And if the "Kings of Comedy" group's run is done, somebody forgot to tell Cedric The Entertainer, new host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and star of TV Land's The Soul Man.)

Nate, you really think stations would pick up DL when some have gone back to local or The Ride w/ Doug Banks? I think the same stations that currently air Skip are the only ones that will air DL. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. On another note, what a slap on the face to Skip Murphy though.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Nate, you really think stations would pick up DL when some have gone back to local or The Ride w/ Doug Banks? I think the same stations that currently air Skip are the only ones that will air DL. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. On another note, what a slap on the face to Skip Murphy though.

You're really asking me if urban stations, some of which have Steve Harvey in the mornings, might be game to clear D.L. Hughley in the afternoons?

While we don't know if this will be a hit or not, it still makes more sense than syndicating a relatively unknown like Skip Murphy to a national audience to replace Baisden with a music-intensive show. And I'm a fan of Skip from his days hosting his old morning show in Dallas but his new show never felt right. I remember a few months back some people said Skip would just be a temporary replacement and that may end up being true. A cost-effective show to buy some time for Cumulus/Reach to find a long-term solution like Hughley.

Atomic344 said:
While we don't know if this will be a hit or not, it still makes more sense than syndicating a relatively unknown like Skip Murphy to a national audience to replace Baisden with a music-intensive show. And I'm a fan of Skip from his days hosting his old morning show in Dallas but his new show never felt right. I remember a few months back some people said Skip would just be a temporary replacement and that may end up being true. A cost-effective show to buy some time for Cumulus/Reach to find a long-term solution like Hughley.

True, but many stations have since dumped Skip Murphy including Radio One Atlanta, CBS Charlotte and all Cox Urban AC stations.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Almost every syndicated urban radio show always had a comedian as a host or sidekick. George Wilborn spent ten years as Baisden's sidekick, and has jumped ship to join Doug Banks, and J Anthony Brown is still kickin it with Tom Joyner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom