• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Born To Be Wild question

There have been a few times where I've heard a version of Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild" with a cold ending instead of the usual fade ending. Is that version available on any of the group's albums?

You got me there...i have two versions...standard Grts hits version with fade out end ..and the version from a Easy Rider purported soundtrack wite the motorcycle intro and the fade-out ending....any editing software can easily chop one up for you I suppose.

There is also a slightly different version of "Magic Carpet Ride" played mainly on AM stations.

The alternate version has "Oh" before "Why don't you come with me little girl....

Also the instruments and Hammond organ sound like a bad take, almost off key, warped sounding compared to the regular single version heard on radio.

Anyone ever heard this version?

There are several versions of Carpet ride. In the beginning he would Sing I Like to Dream in a slightly different tune where on one version he stretches out Dreeeam in the verse. The other version he takes a more straighter approach singing "Dream". Another version is the latter part of the recording where the jamming of the instruments are edited. That version was later put on a CD in the 90's and wasn't exactly the originals that were released on the single or album back in 68'.

The 'BTBW" you speak of surfaced about....I could be a bit off on this...20-ish years ago, about the time songs were being remastered for CD's. My suspicion is that someone used the original masterfor a colection and just never faded it out where the single does. This happened a lot in those days. Just more song to love!

You can find the cold ending version on MCA's "Vintage Music, Volume 9 & 10."

The 45 RPM single master is no longer extant except for a safety copy extant in a UK EMI vault. ABC Records purged their vaults of everything but issued Stereo masters of their catalogue back in the middle 1970's.

Kent T said:
The 45 RPM single master is no longer extant except for a safety copy extant in a UK EMI vault. ABC Records purged their vaults of everything but issued Stereo masters of their catalogue back in the middle 1970's.

is the ABC catolog EMI or MCI ???

That explains a lot of missing 45's on ABC, especially "Joy To The World" by Three Dog Night. The 45 version is totally different than the LP / Golden Biscuits / any greatest Hits release. The 45 was in mono, and has a different percussion and guitar and vocal track, plus a key change toward the end to break up the monotonous repetition of the refrain. The only place I've ever found it was on TM Century Gold Disc #421...it offers both versions.

The original mono single version of Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride” is available on Dick Bartley’s “On The Radio” Volume 1 CD from Varese Sarabande Records.
The audio source is apparently a needle-drop from the 45, so the audio quality isn’t the best. In the liner notes for the track Bartley says, “The original music track was shortened to a length of 2:54, and a new vocal take was added - one that was ever-so-slightly different from the one on the album version.”

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom