• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bonaduce to Chicago?

GermanyOrFlorida

Inactive
Inactive User
Danny Bonaduce has been Adam Carolla's sidekick since the beginning of the year and there's been all sorts of speculation that he might not come back next year. He said something cryptic on Friday's show that suggested that he might be returning to Chicago - any rumors on that front?

Well...WLUP-FM's afternoon drive slot is open, and Danny has worked there before, albeit on The Loop's AM side. I don't remember if he worked on the FM side in Chicago.

I wonder if he still has the WLUP call letters tattooed to his rear?

SIGH...guess I should crapcan my dreams of landing that gig and coming home if Danny's in the mix.

AMandFM said:
Well...WLUP-FM's afternoon drive slot is open, and Danny has worked there before, albeit on The Loop's AM side. I don't remember if he worked on the FM side in Chicago.

...Danny was on both the AM and FM sides of WLUP at different times. Also on in the early days of WMVP, IIRC, doing a midday show for a few weeks right after Steve Cochran's short-lived morning drive airshift (I think Evergreen was having problems with Dick Purtan in Detroit at the time and used Danny as a stopgap, and Danny did the WMVP midday shift from the Detroit studio)...

EVERGREEN...THAT'S THE NAME OF THE COMPANY! Thank you, Ultimajock...that's been bugging me all night.

I was a huge AM1000 listener back in the day. That station re-lit the fire that was my pushed-aside dream of getting into radio...and I did it! I've been working in a top-20 market for over eleven years now, playing the rock-n-roll classics. I am, however, looking for that next great gig. I'm just saying...

Anyway, I liked listening to Danny, and since then he obviously parlayed his celebrity and radio experience into quite a second career for himself, along with a hot redhead for a wife and some beautiful children.

I hate to say it since I would LOVE the job...but Danny would be a great fit at WLUP, as long as he was local.

It does seem that emmis is waiting for someone's contract to end to hire him (maybe bonaduce). They've had a fill-in person for an unheard of 3 or 4 months. It doesn't take that long to find a good fulltime replacement, but it can take that long (or longer) for that future replacements contract to expire.

I always thought hiring Bonaduce would be the smartest move for WLUP. Next step would be to hire a real midday personality and their lineup would be worthy of those legendary call letters.

mediamayhem said:
It does seem that emmis is waiting for someone's contract to end to hire him (maybe bonaduce). They've had a fill-in person for an unheard of 3 or 4 months. It doesn't take that long to find a good fulltime replacement, but it can take that long (or longer) for that future replacements contract to expire.

If that's true I'm going to bill Emmis for the twenty bucks I wasted overnighting my package to the Merch. Mart. C'mon Emmis...mp3, Word, EMAIL!!!! :)

The Bonaduce coming to Chicago theory has some merit. Word is that his marriage is in trouble again, and if that really is the case, that would be reason for him to move out of L A yet go somewhere familiar.

On the other hand, it is hard to believe that WLUP would actually wait this long before bringing him in. This is probably for a separate thread about WLUP, but they need to make up their mind about how important or unimportant the music is going to be. Over the years, they have been hot and cold as far as a consistent musical sound. Lately, they seem lost. It's as though one hour they are new rock and the next hour back to classic rock. And they've become nothing more than a button on the car radio to hit to see if they can last for a song or two.

But that's another story. I'm thinking that if Bonaduce does return, it would be to WCKG for mornings. Meier moves to middays in between Bonaduce and Dahl. Bonaduce is now with sister station KLSX in L A, which has done a lot similar to what CKG has done over the years, although KLSX has had some degree of an audience over the years.

Bringing in someone from a sister station who has had some degree of success and recognition in Chicago, and is already under contract to CBS might budge CBS into letting CKG go local in morning drive, and sending Opie & whatever out to pasture. Their morning show woes started the first of year in '06 so it could be they need to wait through this year before being able to make a much needed move.

Then again, this idea makes sense from all sides. So it probably won't happen...........

That's an interesting theory, too. Makes about as much sense as the Emmis theory.

Watch...we'll both be wrong. Danny will come back to Chicago and do mid-days on WOJO.

:eek:

Interesting point a few posts up about CBS bringing him to CKG. They may now want to think about that scenario, only to keep him off WLUP! Great negotiating position for Bonaduce.

A note to the person who wanted to get Emmis to pay back overnight charges (that made me giggle!). Emmis, like most if not all radio companies, likely knows who they are hiring BEFORE AN AD IS PLACED anywhere. It's common knowledge that stations have to post ads all over to satisfy EEO requirements, and in the case of WLUP they also got some needed press coverage about the station in the process. Remember the supposed nationwide search they did for middays, only to promote someone already on their payroll within in 3 weeks? So in a nutshell you should send your package to stations before there is an opening so they already have you in mind in & when an opening arises. In this particular case, you may be in luck because I can't see them keeping their sub-par midday person sandwiched inbetween Brandmeier and Bonaduce. She will stand out like a sore thumb - even worse than she already does. So hopefully you'll be considered for that position.

It is interesting that WLUP seems to want to take on the personality format of WCKG. Not a very big pie to grab a piece of. But WLUP does need to decide what they want to be: music intensive or personality intensive. Right now they are very middle-of-the-road with no real positioning in the minds of Chicago radio listeners. Even their music is all over the board. If they want to be active rock, then for gods sake do it instead of dabbling with a couple of songs. Their lack of music focus is part of why WDRV has seen such tremendous growth the past few years.

mediamayhem said:
A note to the person who wanted to get Emmis to pay back overnight charges (that made me giggle!).

I hope everyone reading this knows that what I said a few posts up..."If that's true I'm going to bill Emmis for the twenty bucks I wasted overnighting my package to the Merch. Mart." was a joke. I may be stupid, but I'm not dumb!

Thank you for the note, though, mediamayhem. It's stuff that I know, but have never put into practice. I've spent over a decade in a major market, but I've always been approached for my next gig. I've never had to look for one all by my lonesome.

If they do hire Danny, they'll probably play no more than six songs an hour during his show, and I am being generous with that figure. Danny's more personality than DJ. Maybe, if WLUP hires him, that will give them reason to figure out where they want to go with the music. I for one like that they're all over the place, since my appreciation is pretty wide, but I certainly see where you're coming from.

he may be back on in CHI, but it will be from another location. He's in love with himself and LA!

Marv has got to be on thin ice. He's tossed enought bodies overboard to build a winning Bears team.
Yet, the ratings on both stations are dismal and their revenues are mere shadows of their former glory.

I'd wait for the next Market Manager to come in, fire the current GSMs and whoever is doing their music before sending an overnight package. It shouldn't be long now. Who knows, Jeff may have to sell Chicago just to quiet his stockholders that are feeling lied to. Anybody want to buy the thousands of share of Emmis stock Jeff forced the staff to buy with 10% of their salaries a few years back? It's worth less than half now!

Emmis is in big trouble. Watch and learn.

I would hope some suit would have the nads to tell Bonaduce to take a hike. However, I think LUP or CKG will still offer him afternoon drive. If they do, it's a pity.

I hope Emmis has lots of money to bail Bonaduce out of jail and get him out of whatever other scrapes he will get into. I can't believe he will bring enough value to the Loop (or WCKG) to put up with all of his baggage. The Loop had a perfectly good afternoon show with Zakk Tyler...it performed number 1 in the target demographic without any kind of promotional support from the station but that apparently wasn't good enough. It had the perfect mix of music, sports, commentary and features. Then, later this summer, the Loop decides they don't need Crazy Ray due to budget cuts when he was quite good and great on overnights. They could have at least put him on weekends to supplement that lineup.

The Loop finally got some things right the last few months by actually showing up at concerts and broadcasting live, promoting their 7p-midnight show with Friday night live appearances at area bars and their recent REO Speedwagon event. They are living up to their niche as "Chicago's Rock Station" and creating much more awareness of the Loop by getting out and interacting with current listeners as well as attracting new ones. But bringing in the former Partridge Family boy....especially if the format is talk...isn't going to do anything but muddy the waters as to what the Loop represents in the Chicago market. Even though others on this thread have said their music is all over the board, I like it and think it is a good mix of old and new rock. Right now they are the only Chicago station that plays this type of music but if they go to talk in the afternoon drive, they will be just like a dozen others in the market and there will be no reason to tune in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom