• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob Raleigh...anyone know?

68RKO

Since Bob Raleigh retired from WBZ....seems like no one has seen or heard from him.

I don't think he fraternized with too many people from the business, and when he left the air, no one seem to have heard from him again.

I'm guessing at his age, he is probably not Facebook savvy, etc.

Was anyone friendly with him?

Anyone know what he's up to?

I think he's still in the area. But he may have moved, to be closer to family?
Last I heard he didn't respond to BZ producer's calls/mail. May be a privacy thing.

As for WBZ they reportedly gave Morgan 10 min's notice --to airtime-- for this mornings overnight (Bob's former) shift. Yikes.

Bob was, by far the best overnight talent...okay, tied with Larry Glick (when he did overnights)

Bob was awesome, the perfect guy for overnights. I grew up listening to him and was a huge fan and frequent trivia caller. I loved receiving WBZ pens when I won, it was a huge deal for 12-year-old me. I once dragged my mother with me to a softball game to meet him and I think I have an autographed photo of him somewhere in my collection. The whole thing where he got shuffled off to do traffic reports was so sad. His show, along with all the other great shows from WBZ in that era, are the biggest reasons I fell in love with radio and work in it today.

Bob was awesome, the perfect guy for overnights. I grew up listening to him and was a huge fan and frequent trivia caller. I loved receiving WBZ pens when I won, it was a huge deal for 12-year-old me. I once dragged my mother with me to a softball game to meet him and I think I have an autographed photo of him somewhere in my collection. The whole thing where he got shuffled off to do traffic reports was so sad. His show, along with all the other great shows from WBZ in that era, are the biggest reasons I fell in love with radio and work in it today.

I remember those traffic reports Bob used to do during AM drive on "Maynard In The Morning". The audio was so freakin' tinny. No high-quality, equalized phone line; probably some two-way, phase modulated transceiver.

I remember those traffic reports Bob used to do during AM drive on "Maynard In The Morning". The audio was so freakin' tinny. No high-quality, equalized phone line; probably some two-way, phase modulated transceiver.

I think he did them on a walkie-talkie if I recall....

He worked right up until his retirement age of 65....and left on his own (a rarity).

He must have had some bad dealings with Westinghouse, because when he left, he mentioned to some that he wanted no part in reunions, promotions, guest hosting or remembrances...and it looks like he is abiding by that.

I think he did them on a walkie-talkie if I recall....

back in the early 90's I used to hear the traffic service at the time feed their reports from the helicopters and planes to the stations on 450.112 mhz, you'd also hear the various reporters using different names for different stations. When they were not feeding the stations there was interesting chatter going on.

back in the early 90's I used to hear the traffic service at the time feed their reports from the helicopters and planes to the stations on 450.112 mhz, you'd also hear the various reporters using different names for different stations. When they were not feeding the stations there was interesting chatter going on.

I used to listen to those channels on a scanner back then. Sometimes you could hear about incidents or conditions before they would make it to the air, or situations in secondary areas (that I happened to be driving in) that weren't considered priority enough to make it to the air.

I used to listen to those channels on a scanner back then. Sometimes you could hear about incidents or conditions before they would make it to the air, or situations in secondary areas (that I happened to be driving in) that weren't considered priority enough to make it to the air.

I want to say when SmartRoutes came into town, the existing traffic service had a feeling the new kid on the block was listening in on 450.112, back in the days before trunked radios were affordable, so they set a trap to snare SmartRoutes. On 450.112 they mentioned there was a dog running around on the Central Artery at the entrance of the Dewey Sq/South Station tunnel. the report was not aired on any broadcast station, so the only way to get it was to listen to, and repeat what was heard on 450.112, in violation of the Communications Act of 1934.

So armed with recordings of broadcasts from radio stations containing the false information, they went into court and sued Smart Routes and won. I forget exactly what they got in damages.

June 1992:

June 4, 1992

Judge untangles traffic tie-up
The Boston Globe (Boston, MA)
The Boston Globe (Boston, MA)
June 4, 1992 | John H. Kennedy, Globe Staff | Copyright

Eavesdropping is no-no.

That, essentially, was the ruling of a federal judge, who has barred SmartRoute Systems Inc., a traffic information firm, from listening in on the radio communications of a bigger competing firm, Metro Traffic Control Inc.

Metro, which provides traffic information to radio and television stations, sued SmartRoute last September after orchestrating a disinformation campaign by having employees talk over the two-way radio system about bogus traffic tie-ups.

US District Judge David S. Nelson issued a preliminary injunction last week barring SmartRoute, of Cambridge, from monitoring Metro employees' radio communications.

"While Metro does not have an exclusive right to report traffic information, their two-way radio communications are protected from unauthorized interception," Nelson said in his decision. …

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom