• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Ten Conference TV Mega-Deal

Had the University of Southern California and the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) not agreed to join the Big 10, this new TV deal might have been for only a little more than half of the money the conference will get.

USC has long been an elite football program while UCLA is one of the four most iconic teams and biggest "brand names" in men's college basketball.

USC and UCLA are both in the second-largest TV market (Los Angeles), and that may drive viewership. Even Los Angeles area residents who didn't go to either school often tune in the games because they are a hometown team.

I had thought that NBC would have gotten the 3:35 P.M. ET Big 10 football window (with the network's Notre Dame package moving to prime time) and CBS getting the prime time Big 10 football package.

Such a setup would have resulted in all of the "big four" broadcast networks broadcast live college football in prime time most Saturday nights during the fall.

With ABC and ESPN taking over the full Southeastern Conference (SEC) TV football packages in 2024, I would think ABC's broadcast network will have a prime time SEC football game every week of the season, which will probably be the most watched college football TV series, given the SEC's dominance of the sport in recent years.

College Basketball.
Isn't that a different contract? I thought each conference worked out separate network deals for the different sports, the #2 and #3 sports being men's and women's basketball, respectively.

Isn't that a different contract? I thought each conference worked out separate network deals for the different sports, the #2 and #3 sports being men's and women's basketball, respectively.
Read the story. Basketball is included. Peacock is getting about 80 games combined, men and women. Other networks will get basketball as well. As I said, read the story.

I didn't see anything in there about baseball, which I guess would be the No. 4 sport. Maybe it will be staying on the Big 10 Network and/or local TV.

Read the story. Basketball is included. Peacock is getting about 80 games combined, men and women. Other networks will get basketball as well. As I said, read the story.

I didn't see anything in there about baseball, which I guess would be the No. 4 sport. Maybe it will be staying on the Big 10 Network and/or local TV.
College baseball is relegated to the hinterlands unless your local college team does exceptionally well.

College baseball is relegated to the hinterlands unless your local college team does exceptionally well.
It's a big deal at several SEC and Big 12 schools, maybe a few out west, but that's about it. I'm in the hinterlands of northern New England and went to a few Dartmouth College games this past spring -- attendance was about 200 for one of them, about 450 for the other. Of course, the weather was typical, 50s and 60s. Most of the current Big 10 schools have similar spring weather issues. USC and UCLA entering the conference in 2024 will be interesting, schedule-wise and travel-wise. A lot of expensive air travel for a sport that's not a revenue producer at schools like Iowa, Northwestern and Rutgers. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the conference's weaker programs pull the plug on baseball entirely before the expansion takes effect. Of course, softball will have the same logistical issues -- coast-to-coast travel -- but schools will be wary of eliminating any women's sport given the current atmosphere in society and academia.

Last edited:
It's a big deal at several SEC and Big 12 schools, maybe a few out west, but that's about it. I'm in the hinterlands of northern New England and went to a few Dartmouth College games this past spring -- attendance was about 200 for one of them, about 450 for the other. Of course, the weather was typical, 50s and 60s. Most of the current Big 10 schools have similar spring weather issues. USC and UCLA entering the conference in 2024 will be interesting, schedule-wise and travel-wise. A lot of expensive air travel for a sport that's not a revenue producer at schools like Iowa, Northwestern and Rutgers.
I live in the market with the University of Tennessee (SEC) and with Coach Tony Vitello, and a couple of winning seasons, they've had to add seating and are re-doing their stadium.

I live in the market with the University of Tennessee (SEC) and with Coach Tony Vitello, and a couple of winning seasons, they've had to add seating and are re-doing their stadium.
Yep, and I was down in Arkansas in the late '70s when the Razorbacks went to the College World Series for the first time. One of the Little Rock stations carried the games and lots of people watched. UA baseball has been a big attraction ever since and also plays in a nice modern ballpark.

On top of this CBS Sports released the following via Twitter:

Hit the music.

Although now best known as the theme music for CBS college football coverage, the music originally was recorded as the theme music for a Super Bowl broadcast.

For the Super Bowl, it's perfect theme music. The NFL's two best teams! The world's biggest annual sporting event! The world comes to a complete stop to watch!

I have felt that it's not ideal theme music for college football. Seems to sound too-NFLish.

Is it just me or are the networks stuffing so many more commercials into the game that it makes it super-long this year.....I'm talking 4 hours plus. Nothing like watching 2 hours of commercials for an hour of football.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom