• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big change coming to 1450 WCTC this month

WCTC has been running teasers this week saying "Rutgers is moving to the Big Ten in 2014; 1450 WCTC is moving to the 'big ten' this month. Details coming soon."

I don't know if that means they are switching to an all-sports format; really the only syndicated sports format they could use is Yahoo! Sports Radio (the former One-On-One Sports / Sporting News Radio), since of course ESPN is in NYC and the CBS sports network may eventually come to 660 WFAN.

If the "moving" part means WCTC is moving to a different frequency, I can imagine Greater Media selling 1450 AM to "Radio Zindagi" in exchange for the 104.7 FM translator in Franklin Twp. Then they would add HD Radio to WMGQ, put WCTC on 98.3-HD2, and translate that on 104.7 FM, giving WCTC an FM signal with good coverage of central NJ. (Radio Zindagi would still have the 100.7 FM translator in Edison.)

satech said:
WCTC has been running teasers this week saying "Rutgers is moving to the Big Ten in 2014; 1450 WCTC is moving to the 'big ten' this month. Details coming soon."

I don't know if that means they are switching to an all-sports format; really the only syndicated sports format they could use is Yahoo! Sports Radio (the former One-On-One Sports / Sporting News Radio), since of course ESPN is in NYC and the CBS sports network may eventually come to 660 WFAN.

If the "moving" part means WCTC is moving to a different frequency, I can imagine Greater Media selling 1450 AM to "Radio Zindagi" in exchange for the 104.7 FM translator in Franklin Twp. Then they would add HD Radio to WMGQ, put WCTC on 98.3-HD2, and translate that on 104.7 FM, giving WCTC an FM signal with good coverage of central NJ. (Radio Zindagi would still have the 100.7 FM translator in Edison.)
They don't need to downgrade Magic 98.3 to HD to translate WCTC on 104.7. FM translators can translate AM stations, and even originate programming if the AM is a daytimer.

TheBigA said:
Or they could just start airing some Big Ten games when the season starts.
But would it be worth paying for the broadcast rights for those games on a 1 kW "graveyard channel" AM station with an 0.1 rating?

And yes, GM could acquire the 104.7 translator without dumping 1450 AM... but I just have a feeling that they're itching to sell off WCTC, the same way that GM sold off 950 WPEN to Family Radio.

satech said:
TheBigA said:
But would it be worth paying for the broadcast rights for those games on a 1 kW "graveyard channel" AM station with an 0.1 rating?

They don't have to pay for the rights. I'm sure they can find Big Ten games offered by a syndicator. Or perhaps the Big Ten has its own network, and they're just carrying the games a year early.

In addition to Yahoo and CBS, there's also the NBC Sports Network. They could be carrying their sports talk shows too.

WCTC will always carry the Rutgers football and basketball games. They can't air any other Big Ten teams consistently because they might conflict with a Rutgers game.

Nick said:
WCTC will always carry the Rutgers football and basketball games. They can't air any other Big Ten teams consistently because they might conflict with a Rutgers game.

That's why they can't carry another team. But if they can cherry pick games that fit windows in their schedule (and because of TV and time zones), there are lots of games available that don't conflict with RU games. The reason the Big Ten wants Rutgers is to gain access to the East Coast media markets. This is a way to do that before Rutgers is actually allowed to move. And it's low risk for WCTC. Especially if they're getting paid to do it.

If Rutgers starts winning against teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc., local interest in college football will explode and there will be so many bandwagon Rutgers fans. Perhaps the Big Ten will want to launch its own radio network, just like they have their own TV network. They can buy an AM station near each of their 14 schools, then expand from there.

But it doesn't make sense to start in NJ this year since Rutgers is still playing in the Big East.

Nick said:
If Rutgers starts winning against teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc., ...

Sorry but the phrase "when hell freezes over" comes to mind.

The real purpose here: Rutgers gets Big 10 money. The Big 10 breaks into the New York market.

No format flip is imminent. WCTC will begin running the Big Ten Network's nightly syndicated show "BTN Live" every weeknight from 6-7 PM.

I'm sure the Big Ten has higher ambitions than getting a one hour show on a graveyarder. They would like it to air on a NYC sports station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom