• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big 8 Salute on XM Radio Friday

F

fred flintstone

Sonic Sound Salutes: CKLW Detroit/Windsor, Ontario
The 60s - XM 6
4PM - 9PM ET
Terry "The Motormouth" Young transforms the 60's on 6 into these great stations every Friday, 4PM - 9PM Eastern, with their original jingles, air personalities, and local happenings. 60's on 6, The way it was, is the way it is.

Available to DirecTV subscribers (channel 803) and at XM Radio Online (XM offers a three-day free trial of their online service).

Also available via AOL Radio:
Click on "Listen now." From the channel menu, select "Decades," then "XM 60s."
WinAmp users can also listen through AOL Radio: In the Media Library window, go to "AOL Radio with XM" and select "Decades" and then "XM 60s." (IMHO sound quality is better in WinAmp if you are not an AOL paid subscriber.)

What a great reason to get XM!

My work computer starts with 20/20 News intro. When I log off, it plays a hybird cut: "Ladies & Gentlemen, the Good Times are Back! CKLW! The Motor City!"

XM running 20/20 News Clips

This week I posted a reply expressing the hope that XM would include clips from 20/20 News in the Tribute. My post included some classic leads from 20/20 News stories (which are archived on the ReelRadio website). The post was deleted (although those same leads made it past the CRTC in a more subdued era).

I am listening to the tribute, and pleased to report XM is including 20/20 News clips in the broadcast.

XM has been doing tributes to legendary Top 40 stations every Friday for some time now. The host said in an interview they had held off on doing CK until XM Canada was up and running, so this program could be heard in both the US and Canada.

check out this site. ;D

http://www.thebig8.net

the Big 8 was bigger then life.Growing up on the far east side of Cleveland I worked at McDonalds when we got off work after sundown, the local rocker WIXY 1260 was on night pattern, we couldn't hear it so we always flipped our AM's to the BIG 8...loud and clear!

Kevin said:
So what is the history behind this station.

Is it the WABC-AM of Detroit?

No way. WABC was the WXYZ of New York.

CKLW was Drake-Chenault station - only they went beyond the format in a lot of ways. Drake did not have a New York Top 40 station, so you wouldn't have heard the sound of "Boss Radio" (CK didn't use the term but most Drake rockers did). New York Top 40 radio was always behind the curve compared to Detroit (which broke records and where the record surveys were generally two weeks ahead of the national charts; New York was usually two weeks behind). The sound of Top 40 radio in New York was always somewhat stodgy and corporate (even with WXYZ alumni running WABC, but then the bosses were right upstairs). WINS, WMGM and even WMCA had a bit more edge (nothing like Wixie, JBK or Keener - let alone CK) it is some what telling about the New York market that only vanilla-sounding WABC survived past the early 60s. Nothing against New York talent. Cousin Brucie probably could have made it at CK, but he would have had to pick up his energy some.

Cousin Brucie probably could have made it at CK, but he would have had to pick up his energy some.

Hardly. Bill Drake and Paul Drew would have been on the phone non-stop telling Bruce to "tighten up!" Morrow suffered from one of the worst cases of overdoing the diarrhea of the mouth.

It was exactly the kind of thing Drake was revolting AGAINST.

And Morrow would have had to actually talk and not done that stupid, nasal voice bubble-chat thing he specialized in.

Plus, Riverside was a small place...Bruce's head would never have fit in there.

Sorry if I went on a bender, but much like I can't stand Jerry Blavat, I also can't stand Cousin Brucie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom