• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B-96 Chicago: Billing Itself As Chicago's Number 1 Hit Music Station

bringing this back on topic...formats go in cycles.  Pop and rock are more dominant on CHR than they were 4 years ago, and rhythmic is more pop/dance oriented (rather than urban/hip hop oriented) than it was 4 years ago. Are Alternative Stations that spin Fall Out Boy CHR? No. There's always going to be bleeding over the format lines.

Guy Zapoleon is credited for discovering the cycle:

http://friends.strategicradiosolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=1

Alright guys, to those of you who said "who cares how B-96 bills itself", it now looks like this very topic has been brought up on All Access (in light of Eddie & Jobo's departure)

"ACAMPORA commented, "Using MEDIABASE airplay data, our analysis shows B96 now playing 19 of the top 25 songs on the Top 40 chart versus only 15 on the Rhythmic chart. Meanwhile, KISS is now playing 18 of the top 25 on the rhythmic chart versus 15 on the Top 40 chart. New on the B96 playlist this week is JASON MRAZ/I'm Yours - a song KISS isn't playing. This might be the closest B96 has been to a true Top 40 station in 20 years - and maybe more mainstream than KISS at this moment."

McCABE noted, "PPM is envoking change at heritage stations in America's biggest markets. This is an example of a market that has recently gone current with the meter and we're watching stations shift. While this isn't a sudden change for B96, it's one that has been going on for a while. Where two years ago, the line between Rhythmic and Urban was blurry, we're now seeing Top 40 and Rhythmic become very close - especially in these larger markets."

CHRles said:
Alright guys, to those of you who said "who cares how B-96 bills itself", it now looks like this very topic has been brought up on All Access (in light of Eddie & Jobo's departure)

"ACAMPORA commented, "Using MEDIABASE airplay data, our analysis shows B96 now playing 19 of the top 25 songs on the Top 40 chart versus only 15 on the Rhythmic chart. Meanwhile, KISS is now playing 18 of the top 25 on the rhythmic chart versus 15 on the Top 40 chart. New on the B96 playlist this week is JASON MRAZ/I'm Yours - a song KISS isn't playing. This might be the closest B96 has been to a true Top 40 station in 20 years - and maybe more mainstream than KISS at this moment."

McCABE noted, "PPM is envoking change at heritage stations in America's biggest markets. This is an example of a market that has recently gone current with the meter and we're watching stations shift. While this isn't a sudden change for B96, it's one that has been going on for a while. Where two years ago, the line between Rhythmic and Urban was blurry, we're now seeing Top 40 and Rhythmic become very close - especially in these larger markets."

It's interesting to note those changes, but what doesn't change is the fact that listeners still don't care.

Roger, I understand that, but this board isnt filled with the typical listeners. I think this kind of info is interesting to people like you and others who work in the industry, or who follow the changes that take place.

CHRles is right. People here care and that's why we post. B-96 sounds like a different station altogether from last year. I like it a whole lot more than I use to. Now when I visit I can crank it a bit without worrying a ton about thug lyrics reaching my kids' ears. Now my oldest daughter is 12 going on 20 and is totally into Top 40 music like I was at her age. She thinks I'm weird for listening to HER music. Oh, what she doesn't understand!! I'm getting old!

Z

CHRles said:
Roger, I understand that, but this board isnt filled with the typical listeners.

Just adding another point in which we can agree to disagree. While this board isn't filled with listeners, it is SUPPOSEDLY filled with radio professionals (or at least those that aspire to be). That said, our focus has been screwed up for a VERY long time. The audience, as programmers, has not be at the forefront, instead focusing on trivial format fanboy stuff like this. One of my goals in participating in these discussions is to help right that ship, in hopes programmers will read it, agree with it, and help effect change.

In this...
CHRles said:

...within which I would consider myself one of the "those of you", you state All Access' coverage of their changes as though it lends any credibility to the argument that it matters. All Access, while a good resource for headlines, is exactly the kind of thing that perpetuates all of this old-school mentality. But then again, because self-absorbed radio people are their target audience, I guess they're doing their job quite well! ;)

If you're agreeing that it doesn't matter to the audience, and are simply pointing out this stuff as interesting info (and I agree that it is), I withdraw my rebuttal.

I think B-96 did the right thing since Kiss is ignoring these songs, but I hated to see Eddie and Jobo go,, they have been on the station ever since I can ever remember, even before they went in the Dance Direction..... But they were getting Old and reaching their time, so I do hope that they got a fair warning and was able to leave on good terms... I just hope they dont bring in ON AIR with Ryan Seacrest,, Chi-Town needs local on air talent...

And one other thing... I think its time B-96 added a bit of dance music into regular rotation,, they play it again in mixshows which is good,,, but I think they could play a couple maybe 3 dance songs in their top 40.. Dont you guys think????

Mid West Clubber said:
I think B-96 did the right thing since Kiss is ignoring these songs, but I hated to see Eddie and Jobo go,, they have been on the station ever since I can ever remember, even before they went in the Dance Direction..... But they were getting Old and reaching their time, so I do hope that they got a fair warning and was able to leave on good terms... I just hope they dont bring in ON AIR with Ryan Seacrest,, Chi-Town needs local on air talent...

And one other thing... I think its time B-96 added a bit of dance music into regular rotation,, they play it again in mixshows which is good,,, but I think they could play a couple maybe 3 dance songs in their top 40.. Dont you guys think????

This would be a great time to bring in some dance. Plenty of Top 40 friendly dance songs to choose from, it would distinguish themselves from KISS, plus Energy has been gone long enough now with no one to fill the void, IT IS TIME! Not to mention, B-96 has the dance heritage to pull it off successfully. PERFECT TIME!

Whats up Z, it's great to see you post on the CHR board again. Longtime members of Radio Info will surely have remember you from your past posts :)

Ive always missed Z too.. I can relate to him cause he lived in my general area and remembers when stations like WMGI Terre Haute were Dance Stations,,,, not many people know this because its a small market and they only streamed very briefly long long ago,, but I think this was long after Dance had left the building.. I am glad to have him back on the board,, he knows his music and radio really well.

Good to be back guys. Thanks for the kind words. Life gets busy sometimes. Dance radio and Top 40 have been either non-existent with the former or dull with the latter. Now that I'm on CPAP, I'm much more alert, awake and have the energy to care about posting and following radio again. Interesting times ahead. BTW, I only know what I do from you guys and I consider radio stuff a hobby. Professional? Barely, once in 1990-92. Long gone! Radio and stations and equipment are totally different than back then. BUT OH for the days of MIX-FM. Still miss that station back in 95-96. I'm really hoping B-96 comes around to dance-friendly again. Lady GaGa, Kim Leoni, Sunfreakz and others are dance with a strong Top 40 appeal. It should happen again up there. I need to listen to our Q-96 here and see if they are dance-friendly again. Haven't listened in months!!! I'll be around fellas and thanks again!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom