• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Automation Systems

radiofreegeorgia

Inactive
Inactive User
Anyone have any recommendations about automation systems for stations on limited budgets? Must be able to handle live plus satellite operations.

Thanks.

Andy

radiofreegeorgia said:
Anyone have any recommendations about automation systems for stations on limited budgets? Must be able to handle live plus satellite operations.

Thanks.

Andy

I've been very pleased with Zararadio (http://zararadio.com) for the past year. I've been operating it on my own FM station (WXRB-FM/Dudley, MA) since last January 1, 2008. It has never failed once since day one. Now, Zara has two new versions, the free Zararadio version (excellent!) and the new ZaraStudio 2 which does cost about $150 (Euro). It should be available in the US soon. All of the stations I engineer use the original Zararadio. Every station is very pleased with the results. Check it out and be sure to use the English version.

If you search the Engineering and Community Radio boards you will find more information. Both programs mentioned are worthy of good words.

Search the "Engineering" board for numerous suggestions on this subject.

In brief, though, I would look at Station Playlist. And If you know Linux, look at the free Rivendell automation.

Have you checked out the Digilink-Xtreme Automation yet? It's only $100 a month and it includes everything. Support, Software updates, 16 channel switcher, sound cards and production and traffic software. It's really a great deal. http://www.arrakis-systems.com/automation.html I've had a lot of luck with it and it's very reliable.

Depending on your limited budget, if you have the money, spend it on Prophet. It is the best that I have used and it is great at handling satellite programming. I found that the upfront cost might be more than other systems but in the long run, you will find it was way worth the money.

JayDavis82 said:
Have you checked out the Digilink-Xtreme Automation yet? It's only $100 a month and it includes everything. Support, Software updates, 16 channel switcher, sound cards and production and traffic software. It's really a great deal. http://www.arrakis-systems.com/automation.html I've had a lot of luck with it and it's very reliable.
And if lightning blows it up, they'll send you another one! If your station is a lightning magnet, that alone makes it worthy of investigation.

Why would anyone buy Prophet unless they were forced to, as in working at a Clear Channel station? RCS/Prophet is owned by Clear Channel, who has probably done more damage to the radio industry than anyone else! Don't feed the enemy!!!!

Rox

Rox, your comment ignores some facts:

Nexgen is a fabulous product...it is/was designed and supported by folks who have families....and they had absolutely nothing to do the purchase of Prophet Systems by Capstar...then the resulting roll-up into Clear Channel....then roll-up into RCS, a competitor.

Furthermore, Nexgen is and has been in use by LOADS of non Clear Channel stations.

My comment ignores those facts because they're not relevant. I just can't see why anyone would give their money to a competitor or someone that had done grievous damage to their industry. Doesn't matter if the software is any good (and that's a debatable question), the point is that that people should not reward bad behavior...by companies or people. There are a number of choices available in a wide range of prices that are not owned by evil companies.

I'm not saying that there aren't non-Clear Channel NexGen users...I'm just saying shame on those stations for not looking at the bigger picture. We make statements with who we do business with, and I for one would not want to make a statement that supports Clear Channel's approach to radio. For what it's worth, I'd say the same thing about Cumulus and BSI.

Rox

The Prophet system was sold to CC.Nothing wrong with a company selling it's product for a nice profit.Regardless who owns it ,Nexgen is a superb system and the tech support is the same.It's ok for you to grind CC or Cumulus,but the product stands on it own merits.How many systems have you installed? Your post is not relevant.

Because, Rocketgal, if a product is one of the best out there in it's category...and I happen to be in the market for something in that category...and if it's reliable and well-supported....I really don't care who owns it...reality and the axe that you grind are really two different things.

Well, I can't agree with your contention that NexGen is anything special, unless you want to run and sound like a CC station, but that's beside the point that I was trying to make. I believe that who you do business with matters as much or more than what you buy. I have no personal axe to grind with Clear Channel, I just believe that they have done terrible damage to this industry and that they should not be rewarded for that. I wouldn't buy Selector either for the same reason. As an industry, I think it's time we took responsibility for the consequences of our choices, and giving my money to my enemies is not a responsible action.

You're a fanboy of Prophet, and that's fine, but don't dismiss the opinions I offer...instead think about them. Even if you buy Prophet, at least you'll be aware of the consequences of that choice. Besides, if CC defaults on their debt, who knows what will happen!

Rox

The automation wars are almost as holy as the operating system wars. In the final analysis, the best one is usually the one the operator is most familiar with. They all pretty much work and they all do pretty much the same thing. Support is probably a bigger concern than who wrote the software or what it runs on at this point. Beyond those two condsiderations, who owns it is as good a way to flip the purchase nickle as any.

JayDavis82 said:
Just don't buy the oldies music package with it. Big problems there.

I have had good luck with Simien. You can get the software for about 1500 bucks and a computer to run it on from Ebay for about $300.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom