• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Article: Radio Days Are Back: Ham Radio Licenses at an All-Time High

Darth_vader said:
"Ham is dying because no one under the age of 30 cares about using a radio to talk to the other side of the world when you can do it on a telephone, the Internet or a games console."

Yup, that's a major part of it.

Unfortunately it's probably true that young people think they can talk to the other side of the world on their cellphone/Skype/etc.. What may not be adequately passed along:

Yes, you *can* call Bulgaria on your cellphone.

Know anyone in Bulgaria?

Ham radio is a community of people, many of whom are specifically interested in communicating with other members of that community.

I think that, ironically enough, cable TV is one of ham radio's biggest challenges -- and cellphones are the other major challenge, in a completely different way.

Cable TV, because it made it possible to sell/lease a home in a place where outdoor antennas are prohibited. And cellphones, because the proliferation of the base stations they require has stiffened NIMBY resistance to any kind of visible antenna. Cellular operators have the legal facilities to (sometimes) fight it. Hams generally don't.

For the most part it's impossible to install an effective outdoor antenna, and without it many of the attractive parts of ham radio are off-limits.

"I think it will always be around in some form, as CB will always be around. But some ham bands will disappear."

Frankly, I think what'll happen as bands fall into disuse, assuming the ¢ell phone ¢ompanie$ don't make it another land-grab first, is they'll either (A) be deregulated and used as licence-free "general purpose" two-way bands á la CB/FRS/MURS, or (2) handed off to local/municipal authorities to be used for communications traffic (fire/police/ambulance, schools, hospitals etc.)
[/quote]

As Keith suggests, I think the most popular ham bands are of no interest to commercial operators. HF is being abandoned en masse; LW beacons are being replaced by GPS; other discussions on this forum suggest AM broadcasting is on its death bed; the 40MHz and 150MHz commercial two-way bands have been largely emptied in favor of 800+MHz. I don't think the HF amateur bands, nor the 50, 144, or 222MHz bands, are in much danger; indeed, I can see *more* spectrum opening to amateur radio in the world below 50MHz.

The 440MHz, 1300MHz, and higher bands are at considerable risk.

I do fear you may be right about point (A) -- the possibility the FCC will give up all attempts to regulate operation below 50MHz. Although the relatively low level of activity existing in the essentially deregulated 27MHz band suggests there may simply not be enough interest in HF for this to be a problem for existing amateur operation.

After all, while the FCC may or may not enforce the requirement for a license to transmit on HF, you can be assured your local HOA *will* enforce the aesthetic regulations prohibiting the installation of the necessary antennas...

Well, I don't know too much about homeowner's associations, but around here, within Vancouver city limits anyways, we have "neighbourhood associations". I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be, if any (Mum says HOAs have to do with condos, whilst NHAs are in regular housing areas.....whatever.)

Basically, these guys think they're the landlords of everybody's property within the particular subdivisions they lord over. In the housing area I'm currently based in, they currently have an arbitrary "rule" that says TV antennae can't be situated more than 15' above the ground; granted, there are a LOT of 2-storey houses around here with them 25-30' above ground level!

Apparently you're also not supposed to have a satellite dish with a wider diameter than 3' here. That's why I plan to erect my old Muzak 6-footer that's been in storage for the last 4-5 years or so at some point this summer.

"As Keith suggests, I think the most popular ham bands are of no interest to commercial operators. HF is being abandoned en masse; LW beacons are being replaced by GPS"

A big part of that is the rampant electrical/electronic noise pollution on LW/MW/SW that's reaching the point of making the bands nearly useless for any real communication in a lot of areas. Before the folks purchased an LCD widescreen several years ago shortwave was a little "buzzy" at times, but tolerable. Needless to say, Mum recently added a Toshiba plasma display and an LCD computer screen to her ensemble, so now all across SW and into the higher end of MW, the noise is so bad that it sounds like she's splitting atoms in the kitchen. She also took it upon herself to go on a compact fluorescent buying binge early last year, so now there are all these noisy "curly bulbs" installed all around the house.

Granted, this can sometimes be resolved by getting far enough away from it, i.e. listening in an area where there are no power lines nearby. I can only imagine how much worse the problem probably is in areas where BPL systems are in use.

Darth_vader said:
Well, I don't know too much about homeowner's associations, but around here, within Vancouver city limits anyways, we have "neighbourhood associations". I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be, if any (Mum says HOAs have to do with condos, whilst NHAs are in regular housing areas.....whatever.)

In my neck of the woods a Homeowner's Association (HOA) has a legal right to establish and arbitrate housing standards within a given subdivision. Within the general prevailing laws of the surrounding community they can regulate parking, condition of dwelling and surrounding property, any type of party or event in "public" areas (outside of the residence) and so forth. They generally collect monthly or quarterly dues to provide these services.

A Neighborhood Association is a voluntary collection of homeowners within a specific subdivision which attends to the general condition and use of the subdivision but does not have legal or enforcement responsibility. They can send letters to homeowners who are neglecting their properties and can act as ombudsman with their city or town to enforce existing R&R's but cannot bring legal action themselves. There are generally no dues required of a NA.

I live in an area with a NA and have found that people will pay a premium over a like property with a HOA.

Properties such as condo's and townhomes/patio homes (any single family dwelling that is attached in some manner to another) have another use for HOA's and that is to establish separation of responsibility between neighbors and the common areas of the property. Most condo's, for instance, mandate ownership to the inside of the common walls and ceilings. The wall/roof itself is owned and maintained by the common owner (as are the outside common areas, walkways etc.). Townhomes/patiohomes frequently have the same type of HOA's because they also share common areas.

I thought the FCC mandated the right of an individual property owner to establish a dish for the purpose of receiving satellite TV signals but that such a law was not applicable to radio. I also don't know if a maximum size was specified. I just took down my 3-meter dish last year but there are several more existing in my neighbor's yards.

Darth_vader said:

Basically, these guys think they're the landlords of everybody's property within the particular subdivisions they lord over. In the housing area I'm currently based in, they currently have an arbitrary "rule" that says TV antennae can't be situated more than 15' above the ground; granted, there are a LOT of 2-storey houses around here with them 25-30' above ground level!

Apparently you're also not supposed to have a satellite dish with a wider diameter than 3' here. That's why I plan to erect my old Muzak 6-footer that's been in storage for the last 4-5 years or so at some point this summer.

I live in a Washington city with a neighborhood program, and I'm a member of a neighborhood association.

In my city, some of the neighborhood associations recognised by the City are indeed HOA's that decided to participate in the city's neighborhood program, but most of them are actual neighborhood associations, which are set up by the City, are completely voluntary (i.e., a neighborhood does not need to have one if they don't want to have one), and have no enforcement authority whatsoever. And no fees.

Neighborhood associations in my city can not make up rules for appearance, antenna height, etc. That is all set by the City in the building code. The neighborhood association's purpose is to bring neighbors together... they can apply for grants for small and medium improvements to the neighborhood (like mini-parks, bulletin boards, etc.). There are no fees whatsoever. And I think it would be illegal for a neighborhood association to try to charge any fees.

I don't know how Vancouver's neighborhood program is set up, but I'd guess that your housing rules are in the city building and property code -- unless you live in an actual Homeowner Association community, which may be the case -- you would know, because a HOA is contractual (you sign the contract when you buy the house, and pay an annual or monthly fee).

Some neighborhood associations have people who think they're some sort of authority, who will try to pretend they're amateur code enforcers -- we had one like that in my neighborhood about 15 years ago. But when I called the City about it, they told me that the person in question was doing so illegally.

landtuna said:
I thought the FCC mandated the right of an individual property owner to establish a dish for the purpose of receiving satellite TV signals but that such a law was not applicable to radio. I also don't know if a maximum size was specified. I just took down my 3-meter dish last year but there are several more existing in my neighbor's yards.

The FCC has a mandate allowing outdoor antennas *strictly for TV reception* -- as you note, with some limits. However, they do not include amateur radio in that mandate.

I didn't mean to confine my comments to one type of neighborhood organization, and should make note of deed restrictions which exist in the vast majority of new housing developments, whether there's an active organization or not.

Re: Ham bands' survival:
One of the ironies is that the bands that may be subject to being taken over by the government, or cell industry, or whomever, are the bands above 50 Mhz, where the equipment to get on the air is cheaper. And most new hams I know are VHF only. One guy's been a ham for several years. I ask him about HF and he just isn't interested. Another new ham I know would like to get on HF but keeps putting it off, because it's an extra cost, and even though he's got a decent income, he doesn't see it as feasible right now.

HF equipment, compared to VHF, is costly. A decent HF transceiver will set you back a lot more than a 2 meter or 440 Mhz handie-talkie, and with HF you'll also have the antenna and other peripherals to deal with. I can see how prospective new hams would balk because you're outlaying all this money to communicate with people over a spotty medium like the ionosphere. And VHF has its issues -- you can't talk very far unless you're on a hill, or you're using a repeater, and I've read online of some repeaters being run like it's a little private club. Not exactly inducive to amateur radio growth....

I know for HF you can do it cheaply by building a QRP transmitter and code key, but then you have to try to find crystals.... and then you got to hope it works. And then, hope someone hears you. And that's after you learn enough code to do it... And what new hams are going to want to do that?

I only see ham radio growing if enough younger people find an interest in the more scientific or esoteric aspects of ham radio (or today's young people get more interested as they get older); if they get interested in communicating using the magic of the airwaves.

Astronomy is still a strong hobby, even though you don't need a telescope to see Saturn when you can download better pictures which were taken by Hubble. Part of it is the 'magic' of seeing it yourself, with just a telescope or binoculars.

There has to be some way to promote the cool aspects of the ham hobby, to keep it growing. And then some of the costs have to come down.

w9wi said:
The FCC has a mandate allowing outdoor antennas *strictly for TV reception* -- as you note, with some limits. However, they do not include amateur radio in that mandate.

In strong-signal areas (like mine in Phoenix, 5 miles from South Mountain), outside antennas can be prohibited. In my area, they are.

And don't even think about Amateur Radio or CB in much of the Phoenix metro unless you can hide your antenna. In fact, my apartment lease not only prohibits outside antennas other than satellite dishes (including FM rod antennas sticking out of a window - a common clause around here), but prohibits transmitters of any kind. I'm not sure if they can legally enforce that (we'd all have to get rid of our cell phones and WiFi routers), but it's a standard clause in a Phoenix apartment lease.

boombox said:
HF equipment, compared to VHF, is costly. A decent HF transceiver will set you back a lot more than a 2 meter or 440 Mhz handie-talkie, and with HF you'll also have the antenna and other peripherals to deal with. I can see how prospective new hams would balk because you're outlaying all this money to communicate with people over a spotty medium like the ionosphere. And VHF has its issues -- you can't talk very far unless you're on a hill, or you're using a repeater, and I've read online of some repeaters being run like it's a little private club. Not exactly inducive to amateur radio growth....

I know for HF you can do it cheaply by building a QRP transmitter and code key, but then you have to try to find crystals.... and then you got to hope it works. And then, hope someone hears you. And that's after you learn enough code to do it... And what new hams are going to want to do that?

I suppose this is true for younger & less-well-to-do potential hams -- especially with the recent introduction of these $100 Chinese radios.

Crystals are no longer an issue, in that QRP activity has been "bunched up" in frequency in such a way that it's practical to include a crystal with each kit, one that's adequate for useful communications.

That said, QRP really isn't a good way to start in HF radio. It's already a challenge learning operating procedures/improving one's Morse/figuring out the quirks of one's radio. Adding the challenge of a weak signal just makes it that much more frustrating. (especially as beginners usually don't have a large & efficient antenna system)

I'm a mid-range road cyclist; the cost of a decent bike and the various accessories/supplies needed is along the same order of magnitude of what would be necessary to get involved in HF ham radio with a decent used radio. Yes, that's probably too much for many younger people, but it's not totally 100% out of line. (to some degree we've gotten hooked on paying by the month; having to pay for something all at once is a foreign experience!)

I only see ham radio growing if enough younger people find an interest in the more scientific or esoteric aspects of ham radio (or today's young people get more interested as they get older); if they get interested in communicating using the magic of the airwaves.

And to some degree that's happening. See http://www.sparkfun.com among other similar sites.

And then some of the costs have to come down.

That and the HOA thing would be addressed by the establishment of club stations. IMHO the ARRL should be spending more $$ on this and less on scholarships. I suspect the scholarships are creating a fair number of "paper licenses" (where the young folks earn their ham licenses but never use them) and little actual activity.

In strong-signal areas (like mine in Phoenix, 5 miles from South Mountain), outside antennas can be prohibited. In my area, they are.

And don't even think about Amateur Radio or CB in much of the Phoenix metro unless you can hide your antenna. In fact, my apartment lease not only prohibits outside antennas other than satellite dishes (including FM rod antennas sticking out of a window - a common clause around here), but prohibits transmitters of any kind. I'm not sure if they can legally enforce that (we'd all have to get rid of our cell phones and WiFi routers), but it's a standard clause in a Phoenix apartment lease.

From a strictly legal standpoint, outside antennas for TV reception, located in areas under your exclusive control (your patio etc.) cannot be prohibited by local authorities. Of course, enforcing your rights may require taking your landlord to court -- which is of course not practical for most renters. And while your spouse's prohibition on "that ugly antenna" won't stand up at the Supreme Court, you probably don't dare challenge it :)

I suppose an apartment lease could indeed legally prohibit transmitters but if it were fully enforced their vacancy rate would rapidly reach 100% :) A local government in Colorado tried to do that some years ago, until the lawyer for a local ham demonstrated several of the devices they had inadvertently banned... Though I suppose the landlord's answer would be to explicitly exempt cellphones & wifi devices.

"One of the ironies is that the bands that may be subject to being taken over by the government, or cell industry, or whomever, are the bands above 50 Mhz, where the equipment to get on the air is cheaper." *snip* "HF equipment, compared to VHF, is costly. A decent HF transceiver will set you back a lot more than a 140 or 440 Mhz handie-talkie, and with HF you'll also have the antenna and other peripherals to deal with."

It's not really ironic at all; that's why they're so interested in it. Corporate entities like the government or the cell phone companies want to expend as little money as possible on things in order to turn a profit from them. It has nothing to do with physics or stuff like that which they or their bean-counting/paper-pushing cronies don't know (or care) about, it's all about making a few bucks. The lower the initial overhead is, the cheaper the cost of entry is for them; hence, the more $$$ that end up in their pockets.

"I know for HF you can do it cheaply by building a QRP transmitter and code key, but you have to try to find crystals....then you have to hope it works. And then, hope someone hears you. And that's after you learn enough code to do it. What new hams are going to want to do that?"

Probably next to none, frankly, unless they're doing it for little reason other than to send distress signals (I mean, how hard it is to remember ... --- ...? Probably even the youngest of non-code/non-HAM kids have at least been taught that particular signal by the first or second grade.) But as far as using code as a main form of communication....meh. These days, you'd probably have better luck setting them down in front of a teletypewriter and telling them to "have at it".

Outside of a few small, specialised applications, Morse code is all but dead. It's a voice/data world now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom