• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ANYONE REMEMBER QUADRAPHONIC RADIO & STEREO SYSTEMS?

WYSL-FM at 103.3 in Buffalo was a progressive rock station that broadcast in quad and referred to itself as QUAD 103. They simulcasted with WYSL-AM at 1400 khz in Buffalo. A station near Rochester now uses those call letters.

I recall KFYE 93.7 in Fresno was built to broadcast quad, and I was told they only used it in the early 70s, for a short time.

My JVC®4VR5456X Four Channel Receiver has refused to be sent into obsolesence in this 21st Century.It performs double duty as an AV system centerpiece.One outboard Dolby ® unit, two wireless remotes in the tape monitor loops and I have everything I need. :)

RJ

The present surround sound standards are an almost direct derivation of quadraphonic systems. I still have an old Heathkit Quad adapter, and its output is almost identical to what I get on the rear channels of my surround system. The only difference that I can see is how they add the center (mono midrange) and subwoofer to the mix. My old Heathkit quad adapter is getting new life as a secondary surround system, with only slight modifications to put center and sub into the box with the rear channels.

In the Boston area we had a few stations that broadcast in Quad from time to time, namely.....

102.5 WCRB
104.1 WBCN
107.3 WAAF ("now broadcasting in 4-channel Stereo!")
107.9 WWEL

and 94.9 WMTQ (now WHOM) from Mount Washington, NH. Most stations only broadcast in Quad at limited hours due to limited material availability. WAAF was the station who did full-time 4-channel Stereo for about a year or so in 1972.

WRBR 103.5 FM in South Bend, Indiana was an early convert to Quad. However, as a Class A, their already meager signal was further diminished, rendering the station unlistenable in neighboring Elkhart, so they switched back to Stereo after only a few weeks.
I always hoped that a religious station would implement the techonology so that they could bill themselves as "God...in Quad".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom