• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone know of any AAA stations that are like the way FM 101.9 was in the '90s?

T

TripleAGeek

I was actually pretty young when the station debuted (and ended) but I remember my mom got one of their "Live From the Music Hall" CD's and it sounded pretty cool! That being said, where would Joan Armatrading, Indigo Girls, Bruce Hornsby, John Hiatt, Lisa Loeb, Warren Zevon, Michelle Shocked, and Joan Osborne be found on all one station now? (along with people in a similar vein that came after them like Elliott Smith, Jose Gonzalez, Damien Rice, Iron & Wine, Regina Spektor, Cat Power, Feist, etc.)

TripleAGeek said:
I was actually pretty young when the station debuted (and ended) but I remember my mom got one of their "Live From the Music Hall" CD's and it sounded pretty cool! That being said, where would Joan Armatrading, Indigo Girls, Bruce Hornsby, John Hiatt, Lisa Loeb, Warren Zevon, Michelle Shocked, and Joan Osborne be found on all one station now? (along with people in a similar vein that came after them like Elliott Smith, Jose Gonzalez, Damien Rice, Iron & Wine, Regina Spektor, Cat Power, Feist, etc.)

You can probably count on one hand the number of commercial stations in the U.S. that have all those artists on their playlist. One that comes to mind is WRSI in Massachusetts. (www.wrsi.com) But they would find a home on non-coms like WXPN Philadelphia.
Where are you living now, in SoCal?? Or elsewhere? If in SoCal, what??!? ---- You don't like 100.3 The Sound?? ;D

Also check out if you haven't already www.legatocafe.net or 107.1 The Peak in "New York's Backyard" - playlist link: http://www.1071thepeak.com/played/index.php or Portland's KINK-FM - www.kink.fm . All those are IMO representative of what FM 101.9 might sound like if it was still on the air today.

Initially, The Sound was a great station, playing songs that "regular" FM radio literally wouldn't touch, like Wilco's "Handshake Drugs" and UB40's "Rats In the Kitchen", for instance (not to mention Frou Frou's "Let Go"). Their skewing towards classic rock between their debut and around August/September 2008 or thereabouts was tolerable for me back then since artists like, for example, Bob Seger weren't played so much on there back then. The variety was also bigger - ranging from The Duke Spirit, Flogging Molly, Does It Offend You Yeah?, The Ting Tings, Beck, and everywhere in between! Somewhere down the line, their new music list tightened and their skewing went (slightly) more towards classic rock then it did alt.

Legato Cafe is great, reminds me more of what The Sound was INTENDED to be, though I do find it weird when LC plays something like Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak", Journey's "Lights", Free's "All Right Now", etc. and I remember once they played the Steve Miller Band (though I forget which song), which also seemed a bit out of their range. Most of the time they're pretty cool, though! The Peak is better than The Sound but worse than Legato to me, and KINK is better than The Peak and The Sound to me, but it lacks the diversity that LC has. The River (a LOT of AAA stations tend to call themselves this, so I'll specify - WXRV) ranks on the same level KINK does to me. The Point is probably second best to Legato out of all the stations mentioned so far. I don't know much about MVY Radio to state my opinion on it. As for The River (WRSI), it tends to focus more on obscure songs than popular ones and I prefer a playlist that is equally popular and obscure songs.

Therefore, Legato Cafe rules! Thanx for introducing me to it back in December, SuperRadioFan. It STILL rocks, and will hopefully continue to do so for a long, long time!!

You're welcome, AAAGeek! BTW where do you call home?

Great analysis on what happened to The Sound. You nailed it on the time period August/September where they really started to lean heavily on the classic rock side of music. If one wants to hear that there's always KLOS. I agree with everything you have written! The Sound just does not play enough new stuff but if they're going to infuse their playlist with so many classic rock artists and titles they might as well drop anything "AAA"-like. They are going nowhere ratings-wise - Can you say F-L-A-T kids?

Yes every now and then Legato Cafe will throw in something that seems non-AAA like you mentioned. They also play many of the tracks and/or artists that The Sound plays regularly. The key difference is those cuts are more spread out and more AAA-type music new and old is in regular rotation. BTW I just checked their website and Cornelius has made some improvements.... He now has a playlist of all the current and recurrent tracks in heavy, medium, and light rotations (separated that way). He's also adding some DJs!! Check it out!

Yes I can only listen to WRSI once a week at most for the reasons you mentioned.

Take care, my friend, Happy Listening! 8)

I'm not sure if this 101.9 is SoCal's before it turned Spanish or what it sounded like at that time, however, you might want to check out KGSR in Austin, TX. An awesone station.

Forgot to say it may be slanted toward alt-country and internet streaming. Someone else mentioned Legato. I've listened to it, too, also good.

I was listening to WNCS 104.7 on my iTouch the last few days...I believe they catch thevibe of what KSCA fm 101.9 used to be. I'm enjoying 'The Sound' quite a bit as well, but it's not like when KSCA was rocking our lives. Oh, the good 'ol days. :'( Peace...Joe G p.s. - Hi John SRF, whadda up to?!! ;)

goriajk said:
I was listening to WNCS 104.7 on my iTouch the last few days...I believe they catch thevibe of what KSCA fm 101.9 used to be. I'm enjoying 'The Sound' quite a bit as well, but it's not like when KSCA was rocking our lives. Oh, the good 'ol days. :'( Peace...Joe G p.s. - Hi John SRF, whadda up to?!! ;)

Hey Joe :D
Just keepin' my head above H2O. I see you're still burning the Midnight Oil 8)
The Sound has now reached the "Unlistenable" range for me. Too few hours too many good AAA stations to listen to before The Sound. But I can listen to anything in the office thru the computer. And in my car I "spin" the burned CDs of a)Legato Cafe; b) 107.1 The Peak; or c) KINK.fm. Or I listen to talk radio. Happy Motoring, Joe.

goriajk said:

Thanks for the mention!

I was just at a music conference where I had the chance to talk with some of the folks from The Sound. I can report that their hearts are in the right place. But the PPM world in LA is just brutal. They're familiar because that's what works in PPM, and they don't have the long heritage of a KINK or WNCS to have had the chance to build up and educate their audience. I feel for them, and I really hope they succeed.

Wow...thanks guys for checking out Legato Cafe!

We are pushing the Triple-A radio boundary just a little bit, and we try really hard to not "take it too far over the edge". Wanted to brand it with a bit of "hometown sound" in the music mix. We have the songs you have already noticed plus a fair amount of local / regional acts that fit in well with the Triple-A sound these days as well.

I now know to keep a "regular eye" here to see what the toughts are here!

Also, never feel shy about sending feedback my way...there are several "one click" ways to do that on the website.

We are indeed getting things ready for some new DJ's in addition to me, and that should make it fun, and will unveil a Monday feature to let you guys interact with us in the form of helping pick what new songs end up on the playlist...more info to come.

It's been fun bringing LegatoCafe.Net back from its long slumber, and we're working to make it better than it was last time around.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Have fun, and Rock On!

-Cornelius

Zeb Norris said:
I was just at a music conference where I had the chance to talk with some of the folks from The Sound. I can report that their hearts are in the right place. But the PPM world in LA is just brutal. They're familiar because that's what works in PPM, and they don't have the long heritage of a KINK or WNCS to have had the chance to build up and educate their audience. I feel for them, and I really hope they succeed.

Hey Zeb, I along with Joe G (above) have personally met on a few occasions those folks at The Sound. I can also vouch that they are super people. Re. the PPM#s (in a week or so we'll get the next report), KSWD's numbers have been flat flat flat since the PPM's inception. I find no reason to believe those numbers will improve if the current playlist mix of heavily established library of mostly familiar rock/classic rock is maintained. Regardless of what people like David Eduardo maintain, I think AAA is a different animal. Although in my opinion they're not AAA, I think they missed the boat that took off in mid-summer. Anyway, what do they have to lose by being a little more different than KLOS, JACK, KYSR, etc. ? I think they have nothing to lose -- those who like them today for the most part will stay -- and something to gain -- those old FM 101.9 and Channel 103.1 former listeners including those who were delighted to discover the station in April and May but were overwhelmingly disappointed by September and have since left.

cgould said:
Wow...thanks guys for checking out Legato Cafe!

We are pushing the Triple-A radio boundary just a little bit, and we try really hard to not "take it too far over the edge". Wanted to brand it with a bit of "hometown sound" in the music mix. We have the songs you have already noticed plus a fair amount of local / regional acts that fit in well with the Triple-A sound these days as well.

I now know to keep a "regular eye" here to see what the thoughts are here!

Also, never feel shy about sending feedback my way...there are several "one click" ways to do that on the website.

We are indeed getting things ready for some new DJ's in addition to me, and that should make it fun, and will unveil a Monday feature to let you guys interact with us in the form of helping pick what new songs end up on the playlist...more info to come.

It's been fun bringing LegatoCafe.Net back from its long slumber, and we're working to make it better than it was last time around.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Have fun, and Rock On!

-Cornelius

Hi Cornelius, glad to see that you are not going to be a stranger here!! Lots of people on these boards have great insight and good advice and input. I'm sure you'll take advantage of that.

Don't be afraid to push the envelope though, you can get away with it!! ;)

When I have a little more time, I'll give you more input, song/artist suggestions and ideas.

Looking forward to those "Inter-Active" Mondays and since November 30th, when I rediscovered The Legato Cafe, I think the programming is vastly improved over the old version.

Rock On, Brother! 8)

Uh oh! What happened to Legato Cafe? It's been dead air for almost half an hour now :( What's up with that? Cgould, since you program the station, could you please help me make sense of all this?!

Sorry...technical glitch!

All up and going again!!!

-C

Cornelius, I don't want to sound impatient but I'm just curious. When are the glitches on the website (not the station, since you already explained that part) going to be fixed? I noticed that the "Last 100 Songs" application hasn't worked for about a week now, and although you've recently added Morrissey's "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" to your playlist, it's not part of the new music list on the site (I'm guessing you've added a couple others at this point, too). Anyway could you please let me know about this? Thanx!

TripleAGeek said:
Cornelius, I don't want to sound impatient but I'm just curious. When are the glitches on the website (not the station, since you already explained that part) going to be fixed? I noticed that the "Last 100 Songs" application hasn't worked for about a week now, and although you've recently added Morrissey's "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" to your playlist, it's not part of the new music list on the site (I'm guessing you've added a couple others at this point, too). Anyway could you please let me know about this? Thanx!

Hi there.

Our providers were having troubles with their new server that they bumped us on last weekend sometime, and caused a number of headaches for us. Now that the weekend is here, it allowed me some time to track down what exactly was broken on our site after they moved us to a new server, and fix them. All should be good to go. Dealing with these issues took time away from normal website updates such as the new music adds...

On the audio side of things...(where we have more control over things)

We have had a few interruptions in our program feed a few times in the overnight hours (after midnight our time) to work on server upgrades of our own at our end.

We have been running on 10+ year old gear, so we've been upgrading to new machines, new UPS's and things. Since it is a hobby, these things get spread out over time as I have to keep myself awake and ready for the day job ;-)

-C

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom