• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any thoughts on All Christmas Radio in Atlanta this year?

Two stations in West Michigan started Sunday. Last year everybody in The Big A was gun shy and stayed away from it. Is there any PD willing to take a plunge this season? Other than THE FISH, of course.

Any wagers of who? When?

You asked for "any thoughts". My thoughts is that any station switching to all Christmas music before the second Sunday of Advent should have their license revoked.

That's true. I'm guessing Cumulus will promote it on their other stations. But its main purpose is probably to sell to advertisers.

nobody will notice with Fish all Christmas and B 98 slowly increasing their plays through Dec.

I don't know about that. With other AC competition out of the way, B98.5 cut way back on their Christmas music last year, and did well with that (competing more in the Hot AC space). A true Christmas station might cause B to play more than they did last year, but less than what they have played historically.

As a result, The Fish won the Christmas battles last year by default (again, B did well in its own space). A competing station, playing a more secular playlist by secular artists (as opposed to burning every cut on every album by the usual Contemporary Christian suspects, although Fish has played Christmas songs by secular artists) might have greater appeal to part of that market, and take away a lot of the default Fish listeners.

Also, one thing I have never liked about the Fish's Christmas playlist is the tiny size and high burn rate. A wider playlist would also have appeal.

I'm thinking NASH-icon [98.9] might be a candidate to give them a challenge. Certainly there are a lot of icon C&W artists who've done holiday music. Sprinkle in some MOR cuts and you have a solid sounding (to me, at least) playlist that might dominate the market for the Christmas season. Would be a great way to build some identificatiion for NASH-icon, too.

Jabba said, "I don't know about that. With other AC competition out of the way, B98.5 cut way back on their Christmas music last year, and did well with that (competing more in the Hot AC space). A true Christmas station might cause B to play more than they did last year, but less than what they have played historically."

Now that I know that 97.9's version of Christmas will be holiday CHR, plus the fact it's not a full-power signal, I doubt it will force B98.5 to increase their Christmas music. But your point is well taken. Also, keep in mind B98.5's reason for not going all Christmas. It was bringing in big ratings, but a lot of their listeners left them, and come January, they lost a lot of them in addition to the listeners who were just there for Christmas.

The FISH in ATL

I listen to the FISH because I am a CHRISTIAN, The fact they are playing secular "Christ"mas/holiday music is a little disheartening..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom