• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any radio coverage of the Pearl River flood in Jackson?

Not-so-idly-curious about coverage of the pending flood**. From what I can find from the online presence of local TV and newspapers, they have what appears to be current info. Just one example here: https://www.wapt.com/

But how is radio handling this slow-moving disaster, especially on a weekend? MPR? WJDX/Randy Bell? Music and/or satellite stations? No pre-judgment intended, I'm genuinely interested in how "new-era" radio will handle this some 40 years after the last time it happened.

**For those not from Jackson, the town is directly downstream from a large reservoir which was not built so much for flood containment as water-supply and recreation. Works great for the latter, not so much for the former, especially when the upstream area gets an un-predicted multi-inch rainfall event. As noted, this has happened before and the results were not pretty.

Back in 1979 we were coming back from vacation not knowing much about the flood and got stuck in the mother of all traffic jams north of Canton due to I-55 being closed. We put the radio on WSLI 930 and they were wall to wall coverage (that was back when you could actually pick up AM 930) And WJDX was also wall to wall with Randy Bell. All I've heard this time is a few hourly updates on WJDX and on the music stations since most of the local hosts are now gone and being piped in from somewhere or voice tracked. I swear the rapture could happen and we wouldn't know it if you were listening to I-Heart. Unless they got permission to break in

Back in 1979 we were coming back from vacation not knowing much about the flood and got stuck in the mother of all traffic jams north of Canton due to I-55 being closed. We put the radio on WSLI 930 and they were wall to wall coverage (that was back when you could actually pick up AM 930) And WJDX was also wall to wall with Randy Bell. All I've heard this time is a few hourly updates on WJDX and on the music stations since most of the local hosts are now gone and being piped in from somewhere or voice tracked. I swear the rapture could happen and we wouldn't know it if you were listening to I-Heart. Unless they got permission to break in

WJXN, @ Fortification, was covered by the flood, off the air for months, then operated in a mobile home till building on foley st was repaired.

I remember that. The whole building was underwater. I wonder if they got the transmitter and other equipment out of the building before it went under.

I remember that. The whole building was underwater. I wonder if they got the transmitter and other equipment out of the building before it went under.

Nope. They managed to salvage the Ampro audio consoles and a few other pieces of gear, but the Collins transmitter was a total loss. It was replaced with one of the first solid state Harris transmitters installed in Mississippi.

Nope. They managed to salvage the Ampro audio consoles and a few other pieces of gear, but the Collins transmitter was a total loss. It was replaced with one of the first solid state Harris transmitters installed in Mississippi.[/QUOTE

Sounded pretty good, but went downhill after Edward St. Pe added the NWN weather and started shutting down the AM station or running reduced power. Isn't this also a station that Willis Broadcasting also destroyed? I know the FM sister station was black gospel and ran the audio only on one side for a long time.

Bishop Willis was the last owner before the license was cancelled. He owed St. Pe' back rent, along with the AM causing interference issues to the NWN equipment, so it stayed off most of the time. When St. Pe' added NWN to the building, they didn't take proper precautions to shield all the video gear from AM interference. Willis had more than one offer to sell the station, but it never happened.

“It was replaced with one of the first solid state Harris transmitters installed in Mississippi.”

And WSSO in Starkville was also first or second because their Harris MW-1 was installed in the spring of 1979 only a few months after Joe Phillips had passed away. I know because I installed it. Cumulus replaced WSSO’s MW-1 with a Nautel a couple of years ago.

Bob

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom