• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any movement at Sophie? PD? Airstaff?

STAR was #1 25-54 in the Spring book trading places with KyXy which fell from #1 to #2. So maybe the CBS strategy is to have SOPHIE splinter enough share away from STAR to put KyXy in a solid #1.

Plus KYXY/Sophie would make an attractive combo for sales purposes if Sophie can pull decent numbers, which won't be easy in such a crowded format arena.

Sophie's goin down, down, down. Not enough young chicks in the demo to bring this station up. This is way too niche in broadcasting.

At the risk of sounding exactly like the old fart I am ;D I am sick and tired of niche formats and narrowcasting. Maybe the days of mass-appeal radio are over, but there's got to be a better way to attract listeners than drilling down into an ever-narrowing splinter of the available audience.

If it keeps going like this, we'll soon have "Lefty 103," the Adult-Urban-AC-Oldies outlet especially for women 28-32 who are southpaws! And everyone will have a 0.8 share and congratulate themselves about "owning their segment". Sheesh.

- Doc

DoctorWu said:
there's got to be a better way to attract listeners than drilling down into an ever-narrowing splinter of the available audience.
- Doc

From an article appearing today at http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/09/radio/index.php

The people who run FM radio stations (namely, Clear Channel) picked a business model about 20 years ago that was excruciatingly simple: Narrow the choices (formats) and insert as many commercial breaks as possible into a typical hour of programming. This strategy, to put it bluntly, worships at the altar of the focus group. How many commercials can you stand before you change the channel? It’s the opposite of innovation.

Just the other day I as reflecting on why there are so few radio programmers who know how to program (I've got way too much free time if I'm reflecting on such things).

But that phrase "worships at the altar of the focus group" explains it all. Someone comes up with an idea, they lock some strangers in a room and feed it to them and if most of them don't throw up then it's pronounced palatable and the "programmers" then shuffle around a few computer algorithms to generate a playlist: voila a new radio format! (Oh, I almost forgot: to show you are a hip, aware innovative programmer, you give the new format person's name)

If it starts to fail everyone responsible can always say, "Well it tested well.. let's fire the afternoon jock and see if that makes a difference."

It almost sounds like a "format lab" project, not something anyone is expecting real
ratings and revenue. The truth is it wasn't just because there were fewer competitors
in the old days that made monster "mainstream" radio stations. The best of these Top
40 giants were programmed not by research or music geeks, but by people who were
skilled in finding links & common threads among more than one demographic or audience
group. They knew how to hit the listeners buttons. Now many stations are programmed
by some guy or woman who started as an intern at the same station, never cracked a
microphone, and greased enough wheels over the years to become the PD. Their cult
loyalty is to their old PD or consultant who got them the gig. They download their
format, the decisions are already made. These are the bastards that are helping to
kill music radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doublecashkgb said:
Now many stations are programmed
by some guy or woman who started as an intern at the same station, never cracked a
microphone, and greased enough wheels over the years to become the PD.

Before Victor Diaz sold it, Jammin' Z90 had a PD who went straight from driving the bus (that big giant Z90 bus) to being program director. She hid in her office all day, almost never spoke with air staff and pretty much let the music director run the place (at least as far as music programming was concerned). And that was one of the good places! At The Planet, an alleged classic rock station, the KYXY music director, as unhip a gent as they come, apparently ran the music programming. So, while The Planet spent a bundle on billboards and ads promoting a station that played stuff like Stairway to Heaven and iconic music from the hippy days, in truth it played mostly Fleetwood Mac and Billy Joel pop. The sad thing was is that there was not a person in management who seemed to have a clue about the disconnect between what they advertised they did and what they actually did: and the PD there was a guy who'd been a jock and seemingly had a proper background, but really his whole programming ability seemed to come from computer data. This is not the same PD/OM now at KYXY/Sophie - the old one left to become a regional programming vice president and now is GM for a whole cluster of stations. ???

The one programmer in San Diego with street smarts is Rick Thomas (well he used to have them but corporate radio may have digitized his soul as well) Program Director for Z90 & MAGIC 92.5. You can read an short interview with him here: http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=203356

Bob_Hudson said:
This is not the same PD/OM now at KYXY/Sophie - the old one left to become a regional programming vice president and now is GM for a whole cluster of stations. ???

This sort of upward failure is known as the Peter Principle (or as I call it, the Dennis Gwaizdon Effect).

- Doc

Garrett said:
Bob, do you like anybody?

You can be a bad program director and I could still like you: I might not respect you, but I'd like you.

Let's face it G-man: radio is a business traditionally populated by people who got into it because it seemed like an easier scam than having real job. Heck, the idea of sitting on my butt playing records for a living seemed a whole lot more attractive than running a drill press for eight hours a day at some aerospace plant or sitting in a cubicle pushing paper. It's a business full of inflated egos: some famous DJ once said, "everyone in radio is either a Leo or acts like one" (read up on astrology if you don't understand that). It's a business where the top management jobs usually went to guys whose main skill was being able to con the most advertisers out of their money. It's a business where whole staffs routinely got fired because a new boss wants to hire all of his friends. It's a business where even the off-the-air bosses often use fake names. It's a business full of fakery, BS and slight of hand and even when a station fails there are a dozen ways to say it's a success, such as "Well, we are number 2 in left-handed males between 9PM and 11PM and our EBITDA metrics are in line with expectations."

Radio is a business that can - or could - be a lot of fun, what with the three or four hour airshifts, free concert tickets and the extremely minor celebrity that comes with being part of the lowest echelon of show biz. I had way too much fun in radio and that did compensate a lot for the dildos who had often gotten to the top of the manglement (thanks for that word Chris) heap by being especially ruthless and uncaring. A lot of non-radio people would say their bosses used the same means, but over the years, especially, I would say, during the 70's into the 90's as the number of radio stations vastly expanded with the growth of FM, radio was business for rebels who couldn't cut it elsewhere: tactics that would have gotten them fired in the real world, got them promoted to sales manager in radio.

I think the Clear Channelization of radio has squeezed out a lot of that simply because so many fewer people now have decision-making power in radio. There are a lot more VP's, but all they do is carry out orders from some regional SR. VP who in turn is simply passing along dictates from some EXEC. SR. VP at corporate HQ, who passes everything by the VP for legal affairs before sending it down the chain. There's probably not a major market PD today who has the authority to fire a single jock without extensive corporate review to say nothing of coming in and firing the whole staff to hire his buddies from his last station (a PD could only fire the whole staff now if it was the idea of the EXEC. SR. VP).

The good thing about these changes over the last seven years or so is that the influence of most of the bad Program Directors has been muted: the bad thing about it is that a small handful of bad programmers can now ruin dozens of radio stations at one time. The other bad thing is that the business is no longer as much fun: most on-air people work longer hours for less money and there's no room for the kind of risk taking that used to result in breakthrough innovative radio that was fun to do and fun to listen to.

Okay so let's bring this back on topic: Sophie.

I spent three years on the morning show of its predecessor at 103.7, The Planet. I made good money for working a fun four hour airshift and for most of my time there I broadcast from home so I got up at 4:55 AM in order to be on mike at 5:05 AM. I loved the PD who set that up for me, but I did not like at all the bad decisions which kept that station in the ratings basement. Since then we all have watched as 103.7 has stumbled and fumbled through bad management decision after bad management decision, but the only people who get fired as management comes up with one bad format after the other are the on-air people. I dislike those new breed corporate mangers with protected jobs even more than I did some of the old cowboy PD's who rode into town with both guns blazing and then turned out to be shooting blanks. With the gunslingers at least you knew where to assign blame (or give credit when they were on target).

Okay it's late and I'm rambling here, but I think you need to understand that it's easy to fine fan sites where we can all go and rave about how great it was back in the day to listen to WHIZ 1370 when Cap'n Billy ruled mornings, but I write about what it is or was like behind the scenes, warts and all because ultimately that will give a whole lot better perspective on why great radio stations are so far and few between and why we end up with such dreck as Free FM.

Bob, damn you: here you are pointing out the merely obvious.

Jerry Del Colliano wrote in his on-line blog about the NAB: "The latest brainstorm is the "Radio 2020" project. The first problem is the name. Radio doesn't have until 2020."

Writing for myself, radio remains my main entertainment focus point --yeah, the radio w/pictures remains an anomaly collectin' dust in the corner. I am the exception, not the rule, in radio listening. Bill Handel, Chip Franklin, Stacy Taylor, John Ziegler, and the like ... better than getting killed on the current flavor of CSI.

Regardless, radio (today) will not be the spectrum in two, three, or five years from now. Frack. I was just starting to like the new mourning show on the AM dial.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom