• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any more changes coming to TWC Rochester/Finger Lakes

I see that the Music choice stations moved from the 700s to the 600s and that a PayXress channel is on 777 (no idea about that), and that ESPN has been on test4 (1174) for a at least a week now. Just wondering if anyone knows about any channel additions coming soon? I know someone here posts in a RR newsgroup (couldn'tfind the newsgroup anywhere, wanted to join it) that posts updates on twc changes.

> I see that the Music choice stations moved from the 700s to
> the 600s and that a PayXress channel is on 777 (no idea
> about that), and that ESPN has been on test4 (1174) for a at
> least a week now. Just wondering if anyone knows about any
> channel additions coming soon? I know someone here posts in
> a RR newsgroup (couldn'tfind the newsgroup anywhere, wanted
> to join it) that posts updates on twc changes.

That's me. It's roadrunner.rochester.feedback actually (the best place I could find with an audience).

The Music Choice move is to permit an expanded lineup of basic nets offering on-demand programming. TW is slowly rolling out the magazine format on-demand channels which are theme based and are updated weekly or monthly. On demand basic is free for digital subscribers.

The PayXpress channel is part of the Navic platform. Navic provides modules which let cable companies develop interactive applications with subscribers. The PayXpress channel, when active, will incorporate on the on-screen billing module which will let you check your bill, make payments, etc., via your TV and remote. The other Navic module to be rolled out allows for interactive viewer polls which will be used by R News (vote yes or no on your remote, etc.) They have other modules allowing you to do things like order home shopping products, order albums from Music Choice, etc. Each cable company can choose which they want to run.

The Test channels in the 1100s are mostly used to set up sports package channels available by subscription. Before a season starts TW tests out the package on the test channels, and then moves them to their regular home. They underpromote these things, and they are considerably pricey, but if you want that sort of thing, it's there. I'm not sure why you are seeing ESPN there, because they usually set permission on these channels to remain "unauthorized."

Most of the channel additions for 2006 will be in the digital tier. TW nationally has contracts with a few channels, including the reality TV nonsense, and that will eventually launch here. Otherwise, here is a list of networks under consideration, in order of their actual chance of landing on the system (the higher on the list the more likely it launches):

NFL Network
Hallmark Movie Channel
Crime & Investigation Channel
Nickeodeon Digital Suite (there are one or two channels TW is not running yet)
BBC World (News) (as distributed by the Discovery digital bouquet)

Thank you for the reply and the info Phillip. I subscibed to the newsgroup, but for some reason I cant post messages on there. I figure NFL network will be a shoe in now since the NFL is putting live games on the network. I have a feeling NFL Network will be added with NBA TV, Fox Digital and the other pay sports tier package.

A couple channels Iam wondering about is SportsNet NY (New Mets channel that is scheduled to launch next month). if the channel is added around this area, will the channel will on basic (like YES), or on either the basic digital or pay sports digital tier.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ericNY on 02/07/06 06:27 PM.</FONT></P>

> A couple channels Iam wondering about is SportsNet NY (New
> Mets channel that is scheduled to launch next month). if the
> channel is added around this area, will the channel will on
> basic (like YES), or on either the basic digital or pay
> sports digital tier.

If launched, it will almost certainly be digital. The real estate for analog is very limited at this point. Sports is always a special case for cable because networks can be fast-tracked very quickly onto the lineup. It was like that for YES, which is also obscenely expensive at around $4 per subscriber whether you watch it or not, and that is on BASIC. In fact, sports are the biggest reason we see annual rate hikes.

That being said, I have no details on SportsNet NY. If they are affiliated with Fox Sports, it's an easy add - most of these regional sports channels are affiliated with a group. If the group has a presence on TW already, adding it becomes simple, unless it's from Cablevision/MSG. TW and Cablevision have some bad blood between them.

BTW, the price for the enhanced digital sports tier was slashed at the end of 2005 because they wanted to try for volume, volume, volume to draw subscribers. It was not getting as big of a buy rate at the original price that they thought.

> BTW, the price for the enhanced digital sports tier was
> slashed at the end of 2005 because they wanted to try for
> volume, volume, volume to draw subscribers. It was not
> getting as big of a buy rate at the original price that they
> thought.

It's STILL too pricey for many. The economy is not as strong as it once was, people's incomes are stagnat or falling unless they're fortunate enough to be high on a major corporate food chain, and the pricing is just too prohibitive for a growing number of fsmilies to bear. The satellite dish services like DirecTV and Dish Network are initially cheaper than cable for the same channels, although they don't offer the same ancillary internet and phone services that cable does.
And let's face one other thing...the universe of digital HDTV sets which will be able to take full advantage of this programming isn's going to grow as quickly as people hope either. Price resistance will remain strong...and the production of these sets (and converters to retrofit existing sets) hasn't exactly ramped up briskly.

The NFL and others who are hoping for a big score in the new digital realm may find their big payday turns out not to be so big.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom